Need help, Garmin 500 playing up

briztoon

Need help, Garmin 500 playing up

Postby briztoon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Hey guys,

Back on the bike this week after time off over Christmas, and for what ever reason my Garmin 500 is playing up a bit. The speedo on it is doubling what ever speed I'm riding at, and occasionally dropping out. Which means it's also showing that I've ridden twice the distance than what I really have. All other functions appear to be working normally, heart rate, cadence, temp, etc.

Can anyone help me?

wombatK

Re: Need help, Garmin 500 playing up

Postby wombatK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Probably an issue with magnetic pickup. Move spoke magnet away from pickup alignment, 500 will then report speed from GPS. Try replacing battery in pickup if you really want the magnet derived speed.,

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:38 pm

It might be the battery on the cadence/speed sensor. I've been having a problem where I was losing distance. I turned off the cad/spd and the Garmin defaulted back to the GPS for speed and the problem stopped. Time for a new battery! You might also want to check the spd/cad setup to make sure everything is properly aligned.

I did some reading and found out that the Garmin uses the following order of precedence when assessing speed:
powertap -> spd/cad -> gps.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:58 pm

briztoon wrote:Hey guys,

Back on the bike this week after time off over Christmas, and for what ever reason my Garmin 500 is playing up a bit. The speedo on it is doubling what ever speed I'm riding at, and occasionally dropping out. Which means it's also showing that I've ridden twice the distance than what I really have. All other functions appear to be working normally, heart rate, cadence, temp, etc.

Can anyone help me?
Strava KOMs galore for you! :lol:

I think this is likely the speed/cadence sensor - try a new battery. If that doesn't solve it, then the problem could be the speed/cadence sensor itself (especially if the problem goes when the magnet is removed).

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 pm

g-boaf wrote:Strava KOMs galore for you! :lol:
Probably, from todays ride:
Max Speed: 193.3 km/h

No idea where I hit that speed, as it was a pretty flat ride, with a couple of small descents.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:30 pm

briztoon wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Strava KOMs galore for you! :lol:
Probably, from todays ride:
Max Speed: 193.3 km/h

No idea where I hit that speed, as it was a pretty flat ride, with a couple of small descents.
On Saturday when I was stopped for coffee, my Garmin was still reporting my speed as around 20kph and fluctuating. Easy way to chalk up some kilometres. Seems to have corrected itself now.