'39 Oppy Star Racer

GaryF

'39 Oppy Star Racer

Postby GaryF » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 pm

A new forum member and friend asked me to post a few photo's of his 1939 Oppy Star Racer or One Star Racer. I think you'll agree that it is spectacular.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 pm

Oh, WOW!!!

Is that paintwork original, or has it been resprayed? Decals look to be original, but so clean and shiny. And all that gleaming chrome! Where can I get some bars like those beauties?

I'm gathering bits from the 50s era (sort of) to build up an old 40s road frame from Gerald Tate of Geelong into a retro single speed/fixie with a flip-flop hub, Mafac Racer brakes, Nervar (French) cranks and TA chainring. My bars will be standard Nitto Maes pattern, but I'll keep looking for some nice pista bars, or some wicked curly ones like those on the Oppy Star 8)

Lovely bike your friend has.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

bowie

Postby bowie » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 am

*Smiles warmly*

No that ladies and gentleman is a proper bike :) Aaged bikes are like furniture or jewelry, full of romantic histories :)
b is for bicycle :D

Blockchain

'39 Oppy Star Racer.

Postby Blockchain » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:48 am

Thanks to Gary for posting the pictures for me.
The Story that came with the bike - I as yet have no proof is as follows.
Malverns built two for publicity purposes this blue and a red one. They were taken around the country and 'demonstrated' by Opperman. The pair were sold at the end of the trip in Perth to one man. They remaind with him untill his estate was settled in the 80's. The red one I was told went to Queensland.
It came to me in a dismantled state, the saddle,tyres chain and bar tape are new and the pedals came from AtoZ Cycles otherwise I believe the parts belong to it.
Pleased if you enjoy it too. We need a Bicycle display facility in Melbourne perhaps this sight is it and it is a good one at that, thanks to the administrators.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:48 pm

mmmmmm nice but its a repaint/rechrome isnt it?
Roger

stevendavid75

Postby stevendavid75 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:21 pm

nice rig indeed,
I was at Mercer Cycles in Perth y'day and they had a 2 star hanging up and it didnt have the bolt on rear stays, is that common or was there a range of 2 stars.

By the way thanks to whoever mentioned the shop in a earlier thread, was worth a look.

Cheers

SP

SAMMA

Postby SAMMA » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:13 pm

akjhdsg; ihsdGNMFbh

Sorry ... just wiping the drool from my keyboard!

Very nice :D Thanks for sharing ...

Samma

PS: If it is a repaint ... where does one find a talented painter to reproduce such artwork in Melbourne?

I've seen a few places mentioned wrt restorations in other threads but would love to hear from anyone who can recommend a painter from experience via PM (don't want to hijack the thread). I have a frame I'm toying with the idea of having painted to reflect what I can make of the orginal paintjob underneath a hideous repainting

WyvernRH

Very Nice!

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:47 pm

Absolutely beautiful...
Who did the repaint? Excellent work, whoever did it.

One thing I don't understand with this period/type of bicycle, why the caliper brakes acting on the sidewalls BUT on a painted rim? Nice to look at but not after a few miles. Is it only because this was designed to be a show bike?

Cheers

Richard

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:15 pm

I'll see that wow and raise one Oooohhh. Veloart at its finest.

Any chance of a closer look at the rear mech? Pleeeease. :)

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:09 pm

Thank you for posting the pictures.
I am also hanging out to know about the repaint. Did thy have these type of transparent decals in the 30s / 40s... I would have though that logos and art work would have all been hand painted back then.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:16 pm

I too want to know about the paintwork.

Here are 2 more pics of the bike.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Thank you for posting the pictures.
I am also hanging out to know about the repaint. Did thy have these type of transparent decals in the 30s / 40s... I would have though that logos and art work would have all been hand painted back then.
You are very correct on this. My 'old' racer, built in 1981, has the Cecil Walker name, CW badges, my name and lug outlining and infill, all done by hand. Proir to a warranty respray it also had pinstriping similar to this Malvern Star, but sadly, they didn't replace it in the respray and I didn't push for it :(

I'm still staggered at the idea that this beautiful paintwork could be original, but as it seems to have quite old style Malvern Star decals, it may well be. The guy who owned it for all those years must have kept it as a museum bike and not ridden it at all. The still-painted rims are the other pointer to this. Painted rims were mainly for track bikes - bikes with rim brakes need more friction on the rims. Paint is real slippery, then eventually will wear off if ridden, after awhile.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:55 am

hope that pickie works... its a '39 ish 3 star, things to note are the "patina" of un unrestored but extremly well looked after bike, note the colour of the chrome cranks, this is how you would expect old chrome to look. This bike has the correct MS font on the down tube for a bike of its age. Now the beautifull bike here is a one off so I dont know what the original down tube font was but Iwould assume it was the corporate standard for '38/'39, '38 bikes had large block letters nearly the full length of the down tube. So I would say a repaint, but I dont know if those particular decals are available again or if it was done whilst the factory was still a goer? not having a go its one of the best restored (or original ) ones Ive seen.
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:46 am

Now that's a 3 Star to be proud of - wonderful bike. Are you going to give it a little more TLC?

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:59 am

hmmmm, unfortunately I sold it to a local collector who stripped it and resold on ebay :( , by by one very original 3 star (the frame is with a more sensative collector now)
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:12 pm

GaryF

I agree that that is one great looking bike

Blockchain

'39 Oppy Star Racer.

Postby Blockchain » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:12 am

Sorry for the delay - in answer to the questions raised by the pictures.
Yes the bike was repainted about fifteen years ago - correct enamel, replication of line work and sinage. There are only two transfers - top tube and down tube, these are old stock correct water slide not PVC.

I think it is important to try and use the paint of the period - Dulon looks ok but two packs make early bikes look plastic. You can also consider adding 'flattner' to the paint to knock some of the gloss off.
Cyclomondo have a great range of Malvern transfers which if over sprayed with clear really do look the part. lloyds in the UK market correct water slide transfers for a range of European bikes too.

Rims were most commonly painted pre WW11 and on roadsters up untill the 60's. Pre war chrome was an expensive extra.
Yes calliper brakes do ware the paint off but remember bikes of this period mainly had only a rear brake or a pedal back.
Also importantly brakes were not used like we do now as most of the roads were loose gravel or dirt. You will see pictures of even the Sun Tour on dirt roads in the late 50's.

Pleased the machine caused some interest when I get up to ten postings I promis to list an original paint one.
Cheers All.

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:43 am

Well it sure is a work of art, that's for sure.

It's VERY hard to tell, but the hubs bear a striking resemblance to the much respected British Hub Co. 'Racelite' model.
Racelites were, as far as I can tell, BH's first All Alloy, one piece hub.
I have a couple of pair of these & am looking forward to using them in something worthy.

A quick check of my 1939 Brown Bros. catalogue does not show that they offered Racelite hubs in 1939, their best offerings being the all steel 'Solite' & the three piece, high flange 'Continental' hub along with what became the perenial favourite, the Airlight.

By 1952, the my Brown bros. Catalogue shows that the Solite was still on offer, as was that timeless favorite, the Airlight, & with growing popularity, the Continental, all three carried over unchanged from their pre war form.
Unfortunately, there is still no mention of the Racelite, so I must conclude that it's introduction to the cycling scene must have been later than 1952.

If this great machine is fitted with Racelights, & as I said, it's very hard to tell, then I would suggest that either the hubs, or even the whole wheelset have been changed at some time in its life.

Hubs are the great dilemma for me when it comes to my '37 Carbine, but I will probably take the cowards way out & use Airlights.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Blockchain

'39 Oppy Racer

Postby Blockchain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:26 am

Hi kid Carbine.
Won't you limit you choices those pre WW11 rivited Airlights are hard to find. What about Bayliss/Wiley, BSA, Solite, Exceltoo,Chater Lea or the very nice Blomfield Duralite?
Hopefull I have added a picture of a 1938 Carbine.
Also Resilion first listed Racelite in their 1956 Calologue - where they about earlier or called something else?
Cheers

Blockchain

'39 Oppy Racer.

Postby Blockchain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:28 am

Sorry I was unsuccessful in adding the picture will try again.

Blockchain

'39 oppy Star racer

Postby Blockchain » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm

Carbine 1938 with German Zeneth hub for you interest.
Cheers.Image