Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
Marty Moose

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:31 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Funny how something reads quite differently when it is taken in context; well at least simonn and marty got it anyway.
I certainly got the humour. The mockery of posters on here who express an opinion just galls me however. On top of that I don't see "BSO"s. I see people riding bicycles - otherwise called cyclists.

:|
I guess that begs the question what is a cyclist? Surely they have to wear lycra!! Do we have a thread on this :):) I like BSO makes me feel all "lost in space" ;)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Funny how something reads quite differently when it is taken in context; well at least simonn and marty got it anyway.
I certainly got the humour. The mockery of posters on here who express an opinion just galls me however. On top of that I don't see "BSO"s. I see people riding bicycles - otherwise called cyclists.

:|
I guess that begs the question what is a cyclist? Surely they have to wear lycra!! Do we have a thread on this :):) I like BSO makes me feel all "lost in space" ;)
:mrgreen:

Nice to be able to have the day off from riding ... did that yesterday as I need the car. No excuses today but :)

Andrew

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:05 pm

Marty Moose wrote: I guess that begs the question what is a cyclist? Surely they have to wear lycra!! Do we have a thread on this :):) I like BSO makes me feel all "lost in space" ;)

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
A cyclist in my book is anyone that rides a bike.......whatever the shape or breed of bike.

But then I find it difficult to imagine anyone riding a KMart bike or a BSO as they are known on here, and wearing the full lycra outfit..........the two just don’t seem to go together. :twisted:

Edited to highlight the main point of my post............the rest was intended as a gentle stir. :?
Last edited by greyhoundtom on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 pm

purchased lycra, never went back :P

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:11 pm

I have a friend who is completing a PhD. Everyday she rides a bicycle EVERYDAY to and from her workplace at the hospital. She uses as her primary role of transport, for work, for shopping, social activities and to go join her friends rock-climbing. Most people who see her on the road and see her as a cyclist riding a bicycle. She has the same feedom, same enjoyment and faces the same challenges on the road as most others on this forum.

Yet I find it sad that some people here wish to dismiss her, deny that she is a cyclist and suggest that what she is riding is not a bicycle simply because it does not cost as much as many other bicycles. This elitism is such that her bicycle is the sort referred to as a "BSO" on these forums. This is not friendly, inclusive, tolerant or accepting!

(Those who have comprehended my posts should know that the one thing I DO want is encourage, grow and make cycling more accessible for all. Being open and tolerant towards anybody wishing to ride bicycles is something I consider extremely important. This includes accepting cyclists no matter if they wear Lycra or not!)
Last edited by human909 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Venus62 wrote: Back on topic, while I am aware Lycra isn't the most flattering, it is certainly the most comfortable in Brisbane's climate and when you are a sweater.
Venus62, ladies don't sweat. We glow!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:16 pm

il padrone wrote:The mockery of posters on here who express an opinion just galls me however.
Perpetuating a negative stereotype on those who choose to cycle in lycra galls me, crying foul when you're called on it all the more galling.

As for the mockery of posters on here who express an opinion ? I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror. Sure it's more subtle than my efforts a page back, but the mocking tone that regularly pervades many number of your posts is there for all to see.
FPR Ragamuffin

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Chuck wrote:
il padrone wrote:The mockery of posters on here who express an opinion just galls me however.
Perpetuating a negative stereotype on those who choose to cycle in lycra galls me, crying foul when you're called on it all the more galling.
Oh for the love of Mike!! :? :roll:

Please show me where I have posted a negative stereotype of lycra riders...... I myself ride wearing cycle-specific clothing aka lycra about 60-70% of my time on the roads. Why ever would I portray a negative stereotype of myself??
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:22 pm

il padrone wrote:
Chuck wrote:
Oh for the love of Mike!! :? :roll:

Please show me where I have posted a negative stereotype of lycra riders...... I myself ride wearing cycle-specific clothing aka lycra about 60-70% of my time on the roads. Why ever would I portray a negative stereotype of myself??
Where did I say that the first part of my post refers to you ??
FPR Ragamuffin

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Possibly because you were quoting my statement :idea: and my statement only.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:26 pm

il padrone wrote:Possibly because you were quoting my statement :idea: and my statement only.
Yep ... not nice when you are misquoted/believe you have been misrepresented is it? Galling mabye? :mrgreen:

For clarity purposes ... Chuck actually said ...

As for the mockery of posters on here who express an opinion ? I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror. Sure it's more subtle than my efforts a page back, but the mocking tone that regularly pervades many number of your posts is there for all to see.
Note the two distinct statements? The second paragraph opens with a clear statement of change in discussion .... "As for the mockery ...." which I took as referring to yourself given your own comments on this very subject. Maybe the opening quotation could have been better chosen but then you are happy to misquote; surly others can to. No?

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Chuck wrote:Perpetuating a negative stereotype on those who choose to cycle in lycra galls me, crying foul when you're called on it all the more galling.
I think you are choosing to read what you want to read despite my direct words to the opposite. I've said numerous times that I do cycle in Lycra on occasion and have no interest in "perpetuating a negative stereotype.
Chuck wrote:As for the mockery of posters on here who express an opinion ? I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror. Sure it's more subtle than my efforts a page back, but the mocking tone that regularly pervades many number of your posts is there for all to see.
In many forums various tones can come across. If somebody expresses a distasteful point of view, others might speak negatively about that. Honestly this is discussion, I'd happily ride with almost anybody on this forum. (even if they wear lycra, support MHLs and point out BSOs)

However directly attacking and mocking a person steps completely away from it being a discussion. Such words suddenly make it personal and suddenly makes me add the 'almost' in the previous sentence.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:30 pm

il padrone wrote:Possibly because you were quoting my statement :idea: and my statement only.
You decided to step in for reasons which are known to you. I assumed you would understand my two paragraph reply, I was wrong.
FPR Ragamuffin

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:33 pm

Chuck wrote:
+1 well said.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Yep ... not nice when you are misquoted/believe you have been misrepresented is it? Galling mabye? :mrgreen:

For clarity purposes ... Chuck actually said ...

Note the two distinct statements? The second paragraph opens with a clear statement of change in discussion .... "As for the mockery ...." which I took as referring to yourself given your own comments on this very subject. Maybe the opening quotation could have been chosen but then you are happy to misquote; surly others can to. No?
Good grief!

For clarity then, I was replying to Chuck's first statement, the one that came right after my quoted comment. Accusing me of negative stereotyping about 'lycra riders' is what I refute.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:52 pm

il padrone wrote: Good grief!

For clarity then, I was replying to Chuck's first statement, the one that came right after my quoted comment. Accusing me of negative stereotyping about 'lycra riders' is what I refute.
Yep not arguing that; that was clear early on which is why I didn't argue that point.

Thanks BTW for quoting me with integrity this time ... much appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the comment Andrew.

I'd still maintain that Mr Chuck was simply quoting my statement, so it looked to me like he was only commenting on my statements. As for the allegation of mockery:
Chuck wrote:As for the mockery of posters on here who express an opinion ? I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror.
.....seems to be directly accusing me of such mockery. I did not comment on this before - look, sometime on 24th July 2009 I may have mocked other posters, but as a general rule I try to keep my comments above such poor discussion style. I would be very sure that I have not mocked anyone on this thread about lycra - after all, as I have stated I wear lycra, why would I mock myself????

Sorry this is OT and boring. Delete if you like, mods.
Mandatory helmet law?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen

The correct approach is to agree to disagree and leave it at that. Lets do exactly that and leave the thread open.
Cycling is in my BNA

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Never. Because I don't ride a road bike. I would if I did though, just like I wear a wet suit if I go surfing in cold water.

For commuting and touring a pair of shorts (& padded underliners if riding 50+ KM) and a long sleeved Ground Effect jersey is my attire of choice.

Keep it simple and comfortable... and let other people wear what they like.

PS - Lycra (R) is made by Invista... owned by the Koch brothers... notorious climate change deniers and anti-environmental campaigners (but so is Cordura, Coolmax, Thermolie and a range of other awesome materials.. so you really can't win).
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Stick with merino :wink: :P
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Stick with merino :wink: :P
Merino bike shorts ... think I will pass :)

Last time I looked at my cycling jerseys none of them had much if any Lycra actually in them, whereas my shorts tend to be much more Lycra. A quick look at Ground Effect and their Intercool fabric is 33% polyester; 67% cotton (is the polyester Lycra? I don't recall any Lycra tags when I brought the jerseys) and their Heatwave Merino is only 51% merino, the balance being polyester.

Andrew

boss

Postby boss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:25 pm

If I'm going for 'a ride' or riding to work, I wear full kit.

If I'm riding to somewhere to do something, I wear normal clothes.

If I'm riding more than 5km I wear lycra shorts underneath my normal clothes.

In Adelaide, most commuters seem to commute in running shorts and a t-shirt. No idea what they wear underneath, not that keen to ask. Anyone up in the hills (land of the 'enthusiast') invariably wears full kit (jersey + knicks) or some variation on it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Aushiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:Stick with merino :wink: :P
Merino bike shorts ... think I will pass :)
Not shorts, but tights :wink:
4-way stretch merino lycra tights.

I began my cycling with the wool knicks (shorts) in the 70s and the merino is much finer knit these days. It would not surprise me if GE came out with a merino-blend for their knicks too.
Aushiker wrote:A quick look at Ground Effect and their Intercool fabric is 33% polyester; 67% cotton (is the polyester Lycra?
No. Lycra is polyurethane-based.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm

ILMB wrote:
Venus62 wrote: Back on topic, while I am aware Lycra isn't the most flattering, it is certainly the most comfortable in Brisbane's climate and when you are a sweater.
Venus62, ladies don't sweat. We glow!
Sadly, ILMB, I do both. An attractive combination.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:58 pm

il padrone wrote:Not shorts, but tights :wink:
I could use those in winter as I wear tights or Skins now. BTW those Ground Effect ones have Lycra in them :)

Merino Lycra
4-way stretch winter luxury uniquely combines superfine NZ merino against your skin with a tightly woven, hardwearing nylon outer and an impressive 38% lycra. So garments both stretch and move with your body, plus deliver a compression-fit. Warm as pie. Developed by Ground Effect and knitted for us in New Zealand.
> Composition: 43% nylon; 38% lycra; 19% merino.

Andrew