Remove my interrupter brakes?

simonn

Remove my interrupter brakes?

Postby simonn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:00 am

My new groupo* just arrived and it got me thinking... I have never used the interrupter brakes in anger.

I have only raced, i.e. actually cyclocross-ed, three times, but might do so again. Is there a technique (Technique? Moi? LOL) I should be using that uses the interrupter brakes? Or, should I just take them off?

*FWIW, CX50 crankset, CX70 front der, and 5700 shifters, rear der and 11-28 cassette.

silentbutdeadly

Re: Remove my interrupter brakes?

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:31 am

Never used them myself though I thought they were there so you could brake from the flats.

However, modern splayed bars and the brifter setup on CX seems to favour a hand position in the top of the drops which also gives you a wider and more stable hand position more better stering control...or at least it does on my set up. Which I haven't actually raced but have certainly hammered in anger on some rather awful roads and tracks.

I'd be inclined to retire the interrupters...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 pm

They're just extra weight if you'll never use them.

Also: nice choice of gearing. :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:35 pm

I had mine taken off before it left the shop.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm

AFAIK they are little used for CX racing, but I find mine great for commutes and I'm starting to use them on the steep and rocky trails behind our new place in Canberra (Mt Ainslie and Mt Majura) where keeping traction on the back wheel is an issue. Besides, I think they look good! :D

Where did you CX race? I've only done about 4-5 days at Terry Hills (mind you, that's about as much as I've done in any form of comp so I'm equally inexperienced in everything) so we may have seen each other out there.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Take them off for racing... leave them on if it is your round town bike and you ride on the tops a lot.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:32 pm

Chris249 wrote: Where did you CX race? I've only done about 4-5 days at Terry Hills (mind you, that's about as much as I've done in any form of comp so I'm equally inexperienced in everything) so we may have seen each other out there.
Yep, Terry Hills. Did the last 3 of the 4 2011-2012 summer season races in C/D grade open. Came 9th (stacked and bent derailleur hanger) 3rd and 3rd and ended up winning the season (for grade C/D) on points because I don't think anyone else had done more than two of the races at that grade he he, certainly not skill or fitness as I spent ~40 minutes out of breath and <being very scared> (didn't have any experience off road until a couple of practice laps before the first race) for each race :lol:. That's it though. There are also some races going on in Newcastle this year too. Look on Cyclocross Australia if you are on facebook. FWIW, bike is a white Boardman Comp CX (now upgraded).

Anyway....

Re-built the bike (well, got the BB shell faced and chased, and BB & crankset installed at Ride In Workshop) over the weekend and removed the interruptor brakes. The difference between sora-ish level shimano/FSA/MicroShift mix and Shimano 105/Ultegra with CX50 crankset (46/36 works really well for commuting too) is amazing. Had rebuilt the wheels with some nice rolling novatec sealed bearing hubs already. Managed to keep up with the MWCC road training ride this am (~32km/h) without too much difficulty, just not as easy as my roadie of course so less time on the front. The sora level was fine for commuting, but current groupo/wheels rock! Looking forward to being out of breath, <being very scared> and calling it fun again :).

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Take them off for racing... leave them on if it is your round town bike and you ride on the tops a lot.
Hmmm.... it is my round town, commuter and cyclocross racer. Took them off anyway as I never used them. I just thought there might have been some clever dismount/remount technique or something that used them or something.

AP81

Postby AP81 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:14 pm

The main use is for a rolling dismount (IMO opinion anyway). Apart from that I have never had a use for them and always take them off.
Steel - is - real