Peel District CC - Summer Crits and TTs 2012/13

cant_stop

Re: Peel District CC - Summer Crits and TTs 2012/13

Postby cant_stop » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:39 pm

PDCC E Grade - Kwinana Motorplex

My first crit' today and it was a lot of fun! The course was quite technical, a hairpin turn and a strong headwind on the finishing straight made for quite a challenging race. I was happy to see a healthy turnout of people, including a few that were racing for the first time. We started with a controlled lap to get a feel of the course and then it was on. The first few laps were quite sedate, at one point I put the power down along the back straight to see if anyone would respond and quickly developed a gap, however I knew I couldn't sustain it for the next 30 or so minutes so I sat up. The majority of the race was spent tucked in behind either John (whom I considered the strongest rider) or one of the new riders (I will refer to him as 'red jersey'), I had hoped the strong headwind would drain some of Johns strength so that I would have a chance in the final sprint. As we passed the start/finish line for the 5 or 6th time I saw someone holding and shaking a bell, although for whatever reason it wasn't ringing. We all assumed that this was the bell advising us that it was now the last lap so the speed went up and everyone tried to put their plan into place. After the hairpin turn with about 500m to go I was tucked in behind John and the red jersey, unfortunately I severely overcooked the final turn and was faced with a decision: either try and squeeze past two riders who had been dropped or slam on the brakes, the gap I saw quickly disappeared so I slammed on the brakes, my race was over. I watched John and the red jersey past through the finish line only to hear the bell ring loud and clear! By this time John and the red jersey had a lead of approximately 500m, I started chasing and past John and began to approach the red jersey. The smart thing would have been to tuck in behind him and conserve my energy for a sprint, however I rode right past him and he tucked in behind me. I tried to drop him but it looked like he was under no pressure at all, with 50m to go he sprinted past me for the win. Overall a very enjoyable race, if not slightly confusing towards the end. Saw Nick taking some photos - hopefully some good ones of me!

Stats:
Result: 2nd
Distance: 20.36 km
Time: 41:56 min
Average Speed: 29.1 km/h (Headwind & Hairpin)
Max Speed: 49.9 km/h (don't know if correct)
Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/28183261

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 am

PDCC D grade criterium report Lakelands 25 November 2012

I know this is a duplicate post, but not many people read both threads

http://app.strava.com/activities/29420425

You can either read the report or watch the last three minutes from the rear of my bike on Youtube

Lakelands is not your typical Australian criterium course, a 3.8km loop through rural Lakelands. It starts out typically 400m straight, 90 degree left turn, 400m straight, 90 degree left turn, then 700m that gently curves revealing 15m of climbing in the next 300m, before dashing down 600m down the other side on a pretty rough road surface, a nasty double kink and 600m to the finish, the last 300m into a headwind today. More like a short road circuit and I like it.

Not feeling on the best form, it was going to be a very defensive ride from me, no heroics and see what develops on the last lap and a half. It started well with Simmo sitting on the front and taking the bunch round the 1st lap at a slow but steady pace. He swung off and I jumped on, increasing the pace to what I was comfortable with and surprisingly it stayed that way. Apparently I surge into hills, probably bad habits picked up from riding a singlespeed of riding hard into the bottom, then keeping a steady effort, even backing off a bit to get over the top. Which resulted in most the pack passing me on the hill, so I returned to my usual spot as ticket collector (last rider).

The next couple of laps, much the same, if not slightly faster, I sat back and recorded lots of empty road on my camera. Approaching the hill for the 2nd last time, I move to the front expecting an attack, sure enough there was the "woosh, woosh" of CF wheels, I stood to follow then realised it was Phil (a sprinter) and promptly sat back down and got spat out the back of the pack.

Bell lap and it suddenly became tactical, on the final climb, I rode to the front, expecting an attack, nobody did, they actually rode the climb slower than the 1st lap. I eased off the front, nobody was on my wheel, so I went for it, got over the top and started hammering the descent. Did not realise it at the time, but the pack where following the wheel of the 2nd person over the climb, a young women much lighter than me. It was not until they where most the way down, the chase got organised and I had a decent lead. Through the double kink, I had a backward glance and knew I had a chance. The next 300m, I just could not get enough speed out of my legs and it was over, got caught with 200m or so to go, managed to hang in for 5th.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:10 pm

Other important news - 1 day licences are available when you sign in

They are not cheap, $33 and the insurance only covers you for the race, but if you want to try racing without getting a full licence ($286 for the young (u35) folk), it is a good way to test the waters.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:48 pm

nickobec wrote:Other important news - 1 day licences are available when you sign in

They are not cheap, $33 and the insurance only covers you for the race, but if you want to try racing without getting a full licence ($286 for the young (u35) folk), it is a good way to test the waters.
Good to see

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Due to the extreme weather conditions tonight's scheduled time trial at Hopelands has been cancelled.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Reminder this weekend (and next) criterium racing at the Motorplex Sunday at 8:30am start (so get there 7:30 or so)

Race report from last week's D grade race race report thread or my blog

and huge photos album on facebook of last Wednesday's ITT

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Went and had a look today at the Motorplex. Saw some good attempts at breakaways. Few stuck for very long, but good racing to watch.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

Racing Sunday at Parklands (down Mandurah way) a criterium paced race on a kermesse style course. 7:30am for 8:30am start.

Everybody welcome, if you have not got a licence, get one online or get a day licence ($33) on the day.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:46 pm

Race done and dusted, race report on the Race Report thread or on my blog http://nickcowie.com/2013/race-report-p ... 013-whoot/

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Good work Nick. My first race was yesterday at Parklands also. I managed 4th in E grade. I had a look around for you after the race to say Hi, but didn't spot you. Was good to hear your name called as first place at the after race meeting. Good luck at Motorplex this weekend if you race. I will be there to have another crack.

Mark

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Hi Mark

I missed the presentation at the end, I was busy getting a handover of the timing equipment for next week.

So yes I will be there next week, hopefully racing, but definitely setting up the timing gear.

Congratulations on 4th in your first race. A good result, I finished 4th in my first race. Only words of advice for next week don't get over confident like I did in my second race ended up 6th after being too aggressive. Also you might get Matt and Cassia, two of the more consistent E graders this season, back racing after missing a few weeks.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks Nick. At the moment I'm happy to just be going around. Improving each week is the main aim.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey Mark,

Congrats on a pleasing result in your first race. I'll be down this weekend so I'll be sure to say hello. Unfortunately I have been doing little to no riding over the past month and half due to work and holidays so there's no need to consider me as much of a threat :/

Are you on strava? If so feel free to add me (http://www.strava.com/athletes/378181" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Matt

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Matt

See you there this weekend. I'm not on strava. I haven't figured out how to get it onto my phone.

Mark

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am

Couple of race reports on my blog Just Like Andy Schlek ITT report and Motorplex Criterium Report or head over to the race report thread

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:36 am

Well after an (accidental) 15minute solo breakaway I came away from today's E grade race with a win - and a promotion :)

Main aim for the next few weeks is to keep increasing the kms and try to hang onto the back of D Grade.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 am

Also Mark -

If you have a smart phone you can just download the strava app and run it in your jersey pocket as you ride. Alternatively you can invest in a Garmin, something I wholeheartedly recommend if you want to start HR training.

waslem

Postby waslem » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:23 pm

I have signed up for a licence last week, so will be attending my first crit this weekend.
Looking forward to my first race, Nick thinks I should go into D grade so we will see how we go, just aiming not to get dropped.

Feel free to say hello to the new guy on Sunday!

Jamie.

Luke-O-Motion

Postby Luke-O-Motion » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi everyone,
I am looking forward to racing with PDCC again this weekend. I just wanted to confirm, is it at Motoplex or Smeaton Way? If it is Smeaton way, is there a good place / facilities for spectators? I am planning on bringing my wife and young kids to watch the action, as long as there is a spot to throw a picnic blanket.

Thanks,
Luke

wizzfizz

Postby wizzfizz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi Luke,

Whatever is on the website should be the most up-to-date schedule, this weekend is indeed Smeaton Way in Rockingham.

There is grass and shade on both sides of the finish straight, along with ample parking on the grass. Some people with wagons or 4wd's just sit in the boot. There is a Muzz Buzz across the road, and the Rockingham coffee strip is 2 mins away!

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi Jamie,

There will be a lot of new faces for me also as Sunday will be my first D grade race. Be sure to say hi to the bloke with the black CAAD 10 and we can try and hang on to the back of the bunch together!

Matt

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:27 am

Jamie, Matt you will have no trouble with the pace of D grade. Jamie may find the cornering speed and acceleration effort required a little taxing, but I am sure you will both be there at the end.

Luke ditto what Mark said + sausage sizzle almost across the road at Bunnings

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:24 pm

Troy and Marty: Unsure about what will happen with WCMCC at Smeaton Way, if you like the Motorplex then maybe something can be organised. For the mean time I have it down as "TBA"

Parker: We usually have at least a couple ladies, but numbers have historically not indicated we need a separate grade. New riders are often started in D or E grade depending on their fitness, I was a new racer only 12 months ago and I've found those grades to be really friendly and accommodating of new people.
So that's a no and a no...
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get involved and try to develop something.
I'm working on stuff up a bit norther... specially with Northern Beaches Cycling Club and I only have so much time (I have a lot of time, but it's getting takeen up very quickly)

My suggestion is as follows.

a) organise a marshalled grade where those who've never raced before (but have ridden with a few others or none) can come along and be assisted around the course (Usually by experienced A-Graders) and shown safely how to race, at the bell lap, they get let go from their marshalls.

Racing is very intimidating, I don't care how nice the people are, it's a little scary on your first race, but to do the above, the option of a three day permit needs to be included for riders. I have a recretional licence and may race occasionally over summer, in some crits but the expense of a full licence is a bit much when I don't need it.

I'm not trying to have a go, I just see the potential to involve more people.

If you do get that organised for a couple of races, a marshalled grade, I'll come and I'll coerce some ladies into coming as well, because I know female riders who are interested in learning how to race. There's a big difference in racing a crit and actually racing a crit when you understand tactics.
This is a bit old now but I'm wondering how it went Parker, was there a participation ride at the NBC classic ?? If so how did it go?? I've not seen or read anything about it. Nico did you guys try this ?? Was it effective??

MM

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Marty Moose wrote:
Troy and Marty: Unsure about what will happen with WCMCC at Smeaton Way, if you like the Motorplex then maybe something can be organised. For the mean time I have it down as "TBA"

Parker: We usually have at least a couple ladies, but numbers have historically not indicated we need a separate grade. New riders are often started in D or E grade depending on their fitness, I was a new racer only 12 months ago and I've found those grades to be really friendly and accommodating of new people.
So that's a no and a no...
Sounds like a perfect opportunity to get involved and try to develop something.
I'm working on stuff up a bit norther... specially with Northern Beaches Cycling Club and I only have so much time (I have a lot of time, but it's getting takeen up very quickly)

My suggestion is as follows.

a) organise a marshalled grade where those who've never raced before (but have ridden with a few others or none) can come along and be assisted around the course (Usually by experienced A-Graders) and shown safely how to race, at the bell lap, they get let go from their marshalls.

Racing is very intimidating, I don't care how nice the people are, it's a little scary on your first race, but to do the above, the option of a three day permit needs to be included for riders. I have a recretional licence and may race occasionally over summer, in some crits but the expense of a full licence is a bit much when I don't need it.

I'm not trying to have a go, I just see the potential to involve more people.

If you do get that organised for a couple of races, a marshalled grade, I'll come and I'll coerce some ladies into coming as well, because I know female riders who are interested in learning how to race. There's a big difference in racing a crit and actually racing a crit when you understand tactics.
This is a bit old now but I'm wondering how it went Parker, was there a participation ride at the NBC classic ?? If so how did it go?? I've not seen or read anything about it. Nico did you guys try this ?? Was it effective??

MM
I wasn't there, my brother had a workplace accident and I needed some rest, he is on the mend now. I am aware that they did run the participation ride, but I am not sure that it was in the format I suggested, I'm doubting whether it was. For some reason, my suggestions to the president got misinterpreted frequently into completely different things.

I believe there is a report on the CWA site.

ikm

Postby ikm » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:28 pm

From the look of the riders on the day and from the reports I heard, the people that did the ride really enjoyed it. To me it looks like that club are doing some really good things.