how to transport a bike

V17L

how to transport a bike

Postby V17L » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:43 pm

hi
I'm looking at buying a toyota yaris 5 door hatch and wondered if anyone has transported a bike with a yaris. Is there a rake that will fit to the hatch door?
Cheers
Steve
Giant Defy 1

greyhoundtom

Re: how to transport a bike

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

THULE REAR MOUNTED BIKE RACKS AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA 2013

With a bit of luck there may be a bike carrier to suit your car amongst that lot.

V17L

Postby V17L » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 am

Thanks Tom, will chase them up.
Giant Defy 1

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 am

Should be able to put the bike in the back if you fold the back seat down, just another option for you. May need to take the front wheel off and/or tilt the passenger seat forward as well.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 am

I just bought a Thule 9106 from my LBS for ~320. It clips on to the rear hatch, but supports the bike by it's wheels not the top tube. Takes two bikes and the outer one locks (enough for a casual thief).

Instructions for putting it together were as bad as I've seen, but I managed it ok. It's a solid, very easy to use rack and have no troubles recommending it. Bike goes on and off in seconds and the platform bit can fold up and out of the way.

If you're happy to suspend by the top tube (I did for yonks), there are plenty of cheaper clip on ones about, especially on ebay. I used several before finally upgrading to the Thule.

Cheers,
Dave

V17L

Postby V17L » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I have already got a Thule that clips on to the towball of our Prado, so spending the extra money is well worth it for a good piece of kit. Travelled from Adelaide to Darwin, and the precious cargo arrived safe and sound.

I guess the yaris and corrolla are a bit small and not strong enough to put a tow ball on. So that's why I thought I would pose the question.

Thanks guys you have given me some good options to chase up. I like the idea of hanging off the hatch door, as it seems quite a strong structure.
cheers
steve t

PS new years resolution was to get back on the bike, and second ride in, had a clip stack. Gotta say the concrete curb isn't getting any softer. More embarassment than sore. Got up and left the scene of the crime faster than a speeding bullet.
Giant Defy 1

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 pm

I've got a Corolla with towbar but not sure what you can do with the Yaris. If it has any kind of spoiler at the back then the clip on racks wont work.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:47 am

There are aftermarket towbars for the Yaris so that will solve the problem.

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:07 pm

You can often put a small towbar on little hatchbacks -- there's a couple of good brands which suit the Yaris. They're rated for "garden trailers" and bike racks only. I had a towbar on my 121 bubble car as it couldn't take a hatchback rack. When I costed a Thule towbar and rack for my new Suzuki Alto it was a more expensive choice than a light Whispbar roof rack with bike clamps. If I was driving bikes around town rather than to events then I'd have bought a towbar-mounted rack to avoid catastrophe.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:05 pm

V17L wrote:hi
I'm looking at buying a toyota yaris 5 door hatch and wondered if anyone has transported a bike with a yaris. Is there a rake that will fit to the hatch door?
Cheers
Steve
I haven't looked for a rack as my bike ( Giant cross-city flatbar , medium size) fits in the back of my Yaris ( 3 door , not 5 ) easily with seats down , but need to take the front wheel off .