The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

15wilsonwu

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby 15wilsonwu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Rider123 wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Mt Dandenong and 1 in 20

Now that I'm home i can do a full report.
The way to Mt Dandenong scared the living sheet outta me, well, half of it. The first part was all relaxing and stuff but the second part was truly terrifying. The cars were literally passing by with 1mm of space left between us, i had to ride on the gravel in fear of being knocked over. Oh, I was on Canterbury road.
When I got to Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, everything got a lot better. The cars were less aggressive and the climb was magnificent.
I started to pant, well, semi-pant about half way up there (dont judge me )
It was my first time going up a "proper" mountain, so I was kinda shocked by the scenery
When I got to the top, I was quite literally freezing despite the fact I've been riding for like an hour or so. I didn't bring any arm warmers or jacket cause I didn't in ANY WAY expect that the temperature would drop so dramatically. I then decided to have my lunch to warm myself up, BIG mistake. As most of you would do, I went to the cafe with the most cyclists so I can be more confident with leaving my bike out there.
I had a sausage roll and a latte and to be honest, the roll was sheet. The coffee was good though
Remember how I said it was a big mistake? Well here you go. On the way down, i swear to god it was like -500 degrees, the water molecules in my skin was literally hardening my skin to a level where I cant even move my arms ( exaggeration applied )
On the way down (still), i decided to go via Mountain Highway (1 in 20) to reach the bottom instead of continuing on Tourist Road and GOD I WAS SHOCKED. You probably already know why, but if you don't, let me tell you. Descending through it was like descending in the French Alps, the roads were smooth, the scenery was staggering, theres hardly any cars and the best of all, the corners was just... Ummm, find a word yourself .

The way back was a lot better than the way to Mt Dandenong, probably because it not really a main road.

Heres a link to my ride
http://app.strava.com/activities/37204303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, I'm 13, be nice
Good work Wilson.

I get the same feeling riding down Canterbury Rd. to the Dandenongs and now I only go via Mountain Hwy. I've found it to be a lot better; less cars and they tend to give you more space. The only time I ride down Canterbury Rd. is early Sunday morning with my cycling club.

I know what you mean by freezing on the way down. I always bring arm warmers whenever I go into the mountains.

I did 155km on Sunday from Warburton -> Lake Mountain -> Marysville -> Mt Donna Buang -> Warburton. Long ride but very enjoyable.
Have you tried getting there via Whitehorse road/maroondah highway?
It's a lot better than Canterbury.
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Supposedly a day off, so 1.6km with 15m elevation gain.

That 15m is over 400m with the last 200m brick paved.

Riding a heavy steel 44x18 single speed, with heavy bag and in street clothes, got with 5 seconds of my PB set on my race bike

need to do some hill repeats

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Terrible. 6x4 (AT) 320W.

Then the regulation roll to and from work.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 pm

I did 52km today at varying speeds, mostly fighting the headwinds which seemed quite a bit stronger this afternoon. Good fun, a few sprint efforts in there too. I only planned to do about 40km today but the weather was great, so why not.

boss

Postby boss » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:51 am

42km and 847m ascended. Really didn't feel like it when I got out of bed, after the first 300m elevation I started feeling good though.

Break tomororw and Friday, too hot to ride at lunch today (41 degrees), should be in pretty good shape on Sunday.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Finally managed to get a ride in that is not a work commute. I decided to head out and ride up the nearest hill to my place in SEQ, Mt. Mee. Time was limited so I just did an out and back. This also happens to be via the steepest ascent of mt. Mee, Campbell's Pocket Rd.

I started we'll with a PB at the start and faded after that. I think I'm just not meant to be a climber. Not unless I lose 10 kg off me and the bike. I do like riding up hills though I'm just not very fast.

Coming down is another matter. Set the second best decent time on Strava. Missed the KOM by 1 second. Doh.

In the end I managed 1045m of ascent over 68.9km.

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm

First attempt at Group 2 at SOP this morning and I managed to hang on to the end! I did have to resort to passenger mode for the last lap and a half though. A bit of a step up in the hurting stakes! Averaged 40.5 kph!

The main difference I noticed was how quickly the bunch reduces in size. Group 3 tends to break up on lap 3 but Group 2 seems to do it on lap 2 (symmetry perhaps?).

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 pm

More 6x4 intervals on the trainer this morning, then a longer 10minute interval at around LT. Registered at about 1,000,000 on the hurtometer.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:20 am

Mag trainer a bit lately... until I build up another road bike the rollers are out. In the skis on the TT bike is a bit too sketchy to really hammer it :lol: .
Yesterday 2 hours on the trainer... a couple of 20 minute and one 10 minute intervals... thank you Uma for getting me through it :lol: .
Today it was -5 out at midday but I would rather face that than another trainer session ... 30 something k's with one 14 and one 17 minute interval on a couple of strava segments. I had nothing... and I mean nothing :oops: . Not sure what to put it down to... but I will blame the cold and stupid amount of clothing you have to wear :roll: .
Going to try and do another hour on the trainer tonight :oops: .
Dreaming of spring already!.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:42 am

g_dorazio wrote:More 6x4 intervals on the trainer this morning, then a longer 10minute interval at around LT. Registered at about 1,000,000 on the hurtometer.
That all, you're not trying hard enough. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:42 am

foo on patrol wrote:
g_dorazio wrote:More 6x4 intervals on the trainer this morning, then a longer 10minute interval at around LT. Registered at about 1,000,000 on the hurtometer.
That all, you're not trying hard enough. :lol:

Foo
My hurtometer only goes up to 1,000,000!

Did my club ride this morn. Around 60km, 295W average.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 am

I forgot how good it feels after you hurt yourself on a ride till this morning. :mrgreen:

Mind you, you have to remember that I only have two days of the week again, to ride but I did two hard (as hard as I can) segments in my little loop that I do
and got back home sounding like a gasping old bellows filling up.......but I did feel good. Hurt is good and good is hurting yourself through a good ride. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Perfect day for a roll around the river. 215W average on a beautiful day. Sometimes I just love cycling :-D

mjd

Postby mjd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:25 pm

g_dorazio wrote:Perfect day for a roll around the river. 215W average on a beautiful day. Sometimes I just love cycling :-D
Just curious do you have zero averaging on or off ?

Metor

Postby Metor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Had my first ride after a break of one year. :D
Was short but got the feeling of my new bike and notice that a lot of "work" needs to be done. But my legs remembered how it works, high rmp and just enjoy the sensation.
Hopefully I can get in racing shape within a month or 2...

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:53 pm

mjd wrote:
g_dorazio wrote:Perfect day for a roll around the river. 215W average on a beautiful day. Sometimes I just love cycling :-D
Turned on.

mjd

Postby mjd » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:50 pm

g_dorazio wrote:
mjd wrote:
Turned on.
Nice numbers your putting out
I did 3hrs 108km & avg 227w 35kph avg speed & about 600m of elevation & I got to say I worked my ring out :D Did a hour of hard tempo in the middle of ride up the hwy 280w avg & 42kph avg speed, bang on 4 watts per kg for the hour.

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Nothing wrong with your numbers either :-)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:46 am

mjd wrote: I did 3hrs 108km & avg 227w 35kph avg speed & about 600m of elevation & I got to say I worked my ring out :D Did a hour of hard tempo in the middle of ride up the hwy 280w avg & 42kph avg speed, bang on 4 watts per kg for the hour.
:shock: bloody hell... you only need to do tempo to keep a 42 av for an hour ... :oops: .
Impressive ride!... solo and on road bike?.

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 am

Yep solo & road bike. It was on the Pacific Hwy so straight, flat & smooth. Only off the gas a couple of times for a turnaround to head back & 1 roundabout. Was only a slight wind 10 to 15kph I would say, but it was pouring rain for the whole 3 hours.

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:45 pm

mjd wrote:Yep solo & road bike. It was on the Pacific Hwy so straight, flat & smooth. Only off the gas a couple of times for a turnaround to head back & 1 roundabout. Was only a slight wind 10 to 15kph I would say, but it was pouring rain for the whole 3 hours.
"Hard tempo" as a matter of speaking, or "hard tempo" as a matter of being high in Zone3 on your power profile? (...I believe that's what toolonglegs was asking - sorry - don't mean to put words in your mouth!)

mjd

Postby mjd » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:56 pm

All good, hard tempo = high z3

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Trying to keep the fitness up, I got the CTL over 100 after Christmas but it's slowly slipping because I just don't have the hours to devote to riding. 42k's pushing it this morning was only a TSS of 90, very disappointing. It used to be a lot easier to make the numbers when I was carrying more weight - I might have to weigh down the backpack with some bricks.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 pm

Put my bicycle in for a service today....I figured 1000+km and 6000+m in two weeks meant I was due for a few days rest.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm

twizzle wrote:Trying to keep the fitness up, I got the CTL over 100 after Christmas but it's slowly slipping because

Sent from my iThingy...
Yeah I was just of 100 at 97 before accident. The blue line has dropped to 57 :(