Living with a velomobile

nitramluap

Re: Living with a velomobile

Postby nitramluap » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:21 am

DentedHead wrote:
...instead of something exotic...
Er... how does this rate on the exotic scale? It's.. um.. well, it's rare at least!

LBS has a cafe attached. I'm thinking a ride across town for a coffee is in order. It's not yet been on a ride longer than 5kms.

Dent.
That's pretty damn impressive, I have to say. I have no talent in such areas but I do appreciate how much hard work would have gone into that. Great work! :)
My bike is heavier than your bike. :D

DentedHead

Postby DentedHead » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Cheers Nitramluap, though I'm pretty sure your sig doesn't apply to me! ;) I reckon the "Armoured Bear" weighs close to 40kg. It's slow to take off, but once you get some momentum, it's great on the flats/gentle grades, although its no hill-climber. Just got back from her first real ride, about 20km. I averaged about 37kph into town (overall downhill run) and about 20kph (where the road-surface allowed) back. Got a new top speed though... hit 49kph. Tried to push it to hit 50, but ran out of road (busy roundabout).

Certainly generates a lot more curiosity than my trikes. I even had some old ladies come out of the cafe to check it out. Anyhoo, I picked up the proper shifter for the IGH and am about to go mount it :)

Dent.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm

DentedHead wrote:Er... how does this rate on the exotic scale? It's.. um.. well, it's rare at least!
Love it! I like how folks can put these sorts of velomobiles together.

Andrew

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 pm

A friend and I have been looking at local Strava segments to beat.....so had a go......got 2 KOMs and missed another by 1 second - I got held up by a Nissan X Trail which was bumbling along so I had to brake and reaccelerate to pass it......

The Strava link below......look at the first 60 minutes or so.....

http://app.strava.com/activities/37198346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Had a peloton go past at the meeting point and someone shout "HPV" and another shouted " who booked the pace car" so I obliged and set off in pursuit of the peloton......soon caught them and started passing with a ring of the bell......then started winding it up some more (Blackgate Road) had one jump on the back and he hung on for a while, he was really low on his bars but after a while he dropped off !

All good fun !

My hamstrings are hurting now and my ITBs are really tight.....lots of stretching needed !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Nice work Riggsbie !!!

In other news, Sinner Bikes have announced they are ceasing production of their 2 wheeled recumbent models to focus on the mango velomobiles and 3 wheel trikes only. I think this can only be good for current and potential mango owners alike.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:08 pm

Also.....the rough roads have shaken the nylock nuts Off my visor again.....managed to find the rubber washer/spacer but the cap head bolt was long gone.....

A quick cable tie fixed enough to get me home but the visor in wide open mode caught the wind really well and threatened to yank the whole hood off the Velo !!

All cycle manufacturers should give 'us' their bikes forest on 'real' roads......

Hehehehe, if they survived Aussie roads they will survive anywhere !

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Riggsbie wrote: Had a peloton go past at the meeting point and someone shout "HPV" and another shouted " who booked the pace car" so I obliged and set off in pursuit of the peloton......soon caught them and started passing with a ring of the bell......then started winding it up some more (Blackgate Road) had one jump on the back and he hung on for a while, he was really low on his bars but after a while he dropped off !

All good fun !
Indeed! Well Done!! LOL

Had the same fun myself this morning in the Rotovelo..... :twisted:

Hunted down a peleton of 15 or so, along The Grand Parade from Kyeemah to Dolls Point( it's nicely undulating... perfect Velo territory) they had about a 2km start on me..... I jumped on the back of 'em then gave it all I had..... passed 'em all, frightening the daylights out of a few of 'em :shock: when they heard my bell behind 'em....LOL..... then left 'em..... they also tried drafting me, but the seabreeze was too much for 'em.....

I Love Aerodynamics... :mrgreen: 'n smokin' roadies.

Agagin, all in jest! :lol: :lol:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 am

Well it is finished and in it's packing crate, that's the good news..... :)

:( The bad news is that I leave for Queensland today so wont be here to arrange pick up...........so Harma has agreed to hold onto it. It will arrive in Perth on Monday the 4th Feb.

The waiting is nearly over :?

oh yes, nearly forgot the pictures

Come to think of it I don't know how to post pictures in this forum, I'll be back!
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:12 am

Now about those pics

I did say it was Red & White ...............................................not White & Red like the others

all packed up and nowhere to go .....yet!

All I need now is all the tips on how to set it up easily and quickly, I will try to keep up to date while I am away :D
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

While I remember I might as well post the first video of my new Mango even though I have not received it yet

http://youtu.be/IgpV2nosSA8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 pm

Bartek wrote:Well it is finished and in it's packing crate, that's the good news..... :)

:( The bad news is that I leave for Queensland today so wont be here to arrange pick up...........so Harma has agreed to hold onto it. It will arrive in Perth on Monday the 4th Feb.
Oh I do really hope you go see the mangos over there the trio of RE, well at least one or 2 of them. They may be able to show you a thing or 2 on setting them up.
I would really love to see this once it's up and running just to compare to the RE
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Oh I do really hope you go see the mangos over there the trio of RE, well at least one or 2 of them. They may be able to show you a thing or 2 on setting them up.
I would really love to see this once it's up and running just to compare to the RE
Well I will be at Airlie Beach so if they want to drop by............,

In between diving, sailing and kayaking I am sure I could fit in a Mango familiarisation session :D

I am sure we can arrange a "viewing" once I get back and have set it up.
Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:43 pm

Smooth camera work. ;-)

She looks nice.....I do like the twin headlight setup !

4th February will seem like an age away !

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 pm

@Bartek,

Is that my imagination or do you have enhanced indicator leds there ?

Looks nice actually BTW :-)

Bartek

Postby Bartek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks for all the compliments guys, but all I did was pay for it :D

Riggsbie - I will be busy diving, sailing and kayaking for the next two weeks so that should make the time not seem so long,

Rhubarb - the indicators do seem enhanced, I will let you know when it arrives. They are a little easier to see on the construction pics if you can zoom in, they appear to have a lens

Sinner Mango Sport RE
KMX Viper
Trek 350

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Mango production is moving ...
One of the first outcomes of this partnership is that the manufacture of the Mango is to be moved from Groningen to Stadskanaal, where the Drymer is currently produced.
and a new top shape ...

in the same ligfiets article we also learn that Sinner are continuing to develop the Mango and are now offering an alternative upper body. Called an Aero-top it features a “viewing-slot” down the centre, comparable to the upper body shape of the WAW, Evo-K and Alligt A8. This is touted as giving not only improved road vision for the rider but also providing some improve aerodynamics. Ligfiets however observe that the new shape will likely impact on the usability of the interior space. An example of the new upper is seen here mounted on the wall.

Source: Velomobiles

Andrew

Poiter

Re: Living with a velomobile - On the roof!

Postby Poiter » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:35 pm

There was chat about roof topping a VM for transport.
Maybe this idea of using an aloominum ladder is feasible?
From Quest 342 Blogspot

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:16 pm

yeh, maybe suspension might help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV15wioYo9g
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 am

recumbenteer wrote:yeh, maybe suspension might help....

How does the ride actually feel though ? I think the helmet cam exaggerates the movement, particularly if you have a slightly loose helmet like I tend to ride with.

BTW - Nice to see a new source of local velo vids. Your next step of course is to move from MD80 (640 x 480, $10) to 808 Keychain camera (1280 x 720, $37) at least. Then you'll be contemplating GoPro or similar because you'll NEED 1080p at 30 fps, 120 deg wide angle minimum. Your at step 1 (MD80). I've just gone to step 3 (ordered 1080p, wide angle lens camera) but I've ordered an RD32ii. GoPro / Contour etc is what I consider step 4 in this process. Step 3 only cost me $118 delivered. I'll post some sample footage when it arrives.

smoran

Postby smoran » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:47 am

Step 3 only cost me $118 delivered
For another $140 you could have gone straight to Step 4 :-)

http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/- ... ition.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Rhubarb wrote:

How does the ride actually feel though ? I think the helmet cam exaggerates the movement, particularly if you have a slightly loose helmet like I tend to ride with.

BTW - Nice to see a new source of local velo vids. Your next step of course is to move from MD80 (640 x 480, $10) to 808 Keychain camera (1280 x 720, $37) at least. Then you'll be contemplating GoPro or similar because you'll NEED 1080p at 30 fps, 120 deg wide angle minimum. Your at step 1 (MD80). I've just gone to step 3 (ordered 1080p, wide angle lens camera) but I've ordered an RD32ii. GoPro / Contour etc is what I consider step 4 in this process. Step 3 only cost me $118 delivered. I'll post some sample footage when it arrives.
The ride is quite good, having ridden trikes for a decade or more, I use "poor man's suspension".... regulate tyres/tube pressure. Trying to work out a rigid camera mount on the Velo is my next preoject..

Yes, you're right, I'm at entry level in making vids.... I'm hoping to go straight to Step 4..... why waste money on the 'in-between' stages..
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:43 pm

Thanks for sharing. Good to see velomobiles, even Rotovelo :) in action.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks to Poiter for the heads-up on this one; the El Loco from Germany.

Looking at the pricing it comes in much the same as a Sinner Mango Red Edition when you add lightening etc so for me the Mango is still the velomobile of choice. That said good to see new options on the market and the El Loco can be teamed up with a KMX trike and/or brought as a kit.

Andrew

smoran

Postby smoran » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Plus looking at the website the El Loco has an exposed drive train/rear cassette/derailleur. Though I really like the paint job!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:01 pm

smoran wrote:Plus looking at the website the El Loco has an exposed drive train/rear cassette/derailleur. Though I really like the paint job!
Yes it seems it does. I do like shape and easy access and the roll bar but.

Andrew