$2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 pm

antipodean wrote:How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=

I've been drooling over that one...
Ozkaban
 
Posts: 1101
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:18 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby Bentnose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:45 pm

Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)
Image
User avatar
Bentnose
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Watsonia North, Victoria

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby antipodean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Bentnose wrote:Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)


Is it the first symptom of "buyers remorse"?
2013 Oppy SL
2013 Boardman CX Pro
2012 KHS Yuma 29er
antipodean
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby Bentnose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 am

No, I bought a CX bike, hopefully picking it up today, a Cube Cross Race Disc, which I expect to become my main ride. I'm already thinking about the new road bike I would like and eventually a new MTB, I just look at nice frames like the De Rosa King and think, yeah that will have to go on the list. Thinking with some of these discounted high end frames I may buy the frame first and the rest in pieces, current road bike is 7 years old this year.
Image
User avatar
Bentnose
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:00 am
Location: Watsonia North, Victoria

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:35 am

something like this would be nice if it's around when I actually have some cash to spend.... :(

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102144749

Looking at the geo, I could probably fit the Large. Looks to have a decent seat setback. I'm 186cm, but have long legs, short arms. I ride an XL now, but it's a touch too stretched out for me, even with my seat as far forward as I can get it.

Or even this...

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102202008
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Bardon, QLD

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

I've been looking on bikeexchange & ebay for a few weeks now and seems like most of the bikes that come up in $2-3k are Giant TCR, Trek Madone 4,5,6, Scott Foil 20 or 40 and CAAD10 and Supersix.

Would it be fair to say that a Giant TCR Advanced regardless of groupset is a good frame, possibly an excellent frame? Looks to me like they only make one grade carbon for all their Advanced bikes, with the "SL" being the next rung up in weight/performance/aero etc.. Whereas Trek seems to offer 4 levels of Madone in the 4,5,6,7 series. The Scott 20 & 40 both seem like the same frame, and it isn't til you pony up for the HMX grade carbon that you're at their best. I don't know how a run of the mill Supersix fits in to the mix.

Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Bardon, QLD

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby sdnelson19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
antipodean wrote:How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=

I've been drooling over that one...


so was I, so I bought one.. pretty happy with the result- especially how it rides. (pics in gallery)
Image
sdnelson19
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 pm

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby TDC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:38 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I've been looking on bikeexchange & ebay for a few weeks now and seems like most of the bikes that come up in $2-3k are Giant TCR, Trek Madone 4,5,6, Scott Foil 20 or 40 and CAAD10 and Supersix.

Would it be fair to say that a Giant TCR Advanced regardless of groupset is a good frame, possibly an excellent frame? Looks to me like they only make one grade carbon for all their Advanced bikes, with the "SL" being the next rung up in weight/performance/aero etc.. Whereas Trek seems to offer 4 levels of Madone in the 4,5,6,7 series. The Scott 20 & 40 both seem like the same frame, and it isn't til you pony up for the HMX grade carbon that you're at their best. I don't know how a run of the mill Supersix fits in to the mix.

Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?


Its kind of like asking is a Commodore better than a falcon, and then looking at the premium category and asking is a 5 series beemer better than an E class Merc. Depends which one you like.
TDC
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby sparkyscott » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Bentnose wrote:Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)


It's only wrong when you buy a new bike and stop wishing/thinking about the next one... :D
User avatar
sparkyscott
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:32 pm

TDC wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?


Its kind of like asking is a Commodore better than a falcon, and then looking at the premium category and asking is a 5 series beemer better than an E class Merc. Depends which one you like.


I don't particularly like one more than the other, which is why I was asking for advice on which is better. "Better" could be stiffer, lighter, more stable etc etc.... Sure, it's subjective, but people who've been around cycling for years probably know way more than me about such things.

As for your car analogy, I'd be a Falcon guy. I think it's a better, more modern chassis and a much better range of engines. Commodores have better seats, better marketing and are way more customer focussed, especially when it comes to their HSV range. Which one is Trek and which one is Giant? :wink:
Litespeed Tuscany Ti & Trek 8000 rigid MTB
BrisVegas
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm
Location: Bardon, QLD

Previous

Return to Buying a bike / parts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clydesmcdale, mikesbytes, R12RT



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter