$2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Ozkaban

Re: $2-$3k opinions on best bike/frame to build up over time

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:28 pm

antipodean wrote:How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drooling over that one...

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)
No signature

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Bentnose wrote:Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)
Is it the first symptom of "buyers remorse"?

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 am

No, I bought a CX bike, hopefully picking it up today, a Cube Cross Race Disc, which I expect to become my main ride. I'm already thinking about the new road bike I would like and eventually a new MTB, I just look at nice frames like the De Rosa King and think, yeah that will have to go on the list. Thinking with some of these discounted high end frames I may buy the frame first and the rest in pieces, current road bike is 7 years old this year.
No signature

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

something like this would be nice if it's around when I actually have some cash to spend.... :(

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102144749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the geo, I could probably fit the Large. Looks to have a decent seat setback. I'm 186cm, but have long legs, short arms. I ride an XL now, but it's a touch too stretched out for me, even with my seat as far forward as I can get it.

Or even this...

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102202008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:45 pm

I've been looking on bikeexchange & ebay for a few weeks now and seems like most of the bikes that come up in $2-3k are Giant TCR, Trek Madone 4,5,6, Scott Foil 20 or 40 and CAAD10 and Supersix.

Would it be fair to say that a Giant TCR Advanced regardless of groupset is a good frame, possibly an excellent frame? Looks to me like they only make one grade carbon for all their Advanced bikes, with the "SL" being the next rung up in weight/performance/aero etc.. Whereas Trek seems to offer 4 levels of Madone in the 4,5,6,7 series. The Scott 20 & 40 both seem like the same frame, and it isn't til you pony up for the HMX grade carbon that you're at their best. I don't know how a run of the mill Supersix fits in to the mix.

Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
antipodean wrote:How about a De Rosa King?

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/torpedo7/cat ... andString=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've been drooling over that one...
so was I, so I bought one.. pretty happy with the result- especially how it rides. (pics in gallery)

TDC

Postby TDC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:38 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I've been looking on bikeexchange & ebay for a few weeks now and seems like most of the bikes that come up in $2-3k are Giant TCR, Trek Madone 4,5,6, Scott Foil 20 or 40 and CAAD10 and Supersix.

Would it be fair to say that a Giant TCR Advanced regardless of groupset is a good frame, possibly an excellent frame? Looks to me like they only make one grade carbon for all their Advanced bikes, with the "SL" being the next rung up in weight/performance/aero etc.. Whereas Trek seems to offer 4 levels of Madone in the 4,5,6,7 series. The Scott 20 & 40 both seem like the same frame, and it isn't til you pony up for the HMX grade carbon that you're at their best. I don't know how a run of the mill Supersix fits in to the mix.

Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?
Its kind of like asking is a Commodore better than a falcon, and then looking at the premium category and asking is a 5 series beemer better than an E class Merc. Depends which one you like.

sparkyscott

Postby sparkyscott » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Bentnose wrote:Is it wrong that even though I just bought a new bike that I'm already thinking of the next one, or two... :)
It's only wrong when you buy a new bike and stop wishing/thinking about the next one... :D

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm

TDC wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:Would a TCR Advanced line up against a 5 or 6 series Trek? Lots of TCR and Madone 5's around. Is a Madone 6 a worthwhile upgrade over a TCR?
Its kind of like asking is a Commodore better than a falcon, and then looking at the premium category and asking is a 5 series beemer better than an E class Merc. Depends which one you like.
I don't particularly like one more than the other, which is why I was asking for advice on which is better. "Better" could be stiffer, lighter, more stable etc etc.... Sure, it's subjective, but people who've been around cycling for years probably know way more than me about such things.

As for your car analogy, I'd be a Falcon guy. I think it's a better, more modern chassis and a much better range of engines. Commodores have better seats, better marketing and are way more customer focussed, especially when it comes to their HSV range. Which one is Trek and which one is Giant? :wink: