why does the RHS of a BB have a left hand thread?

cooperplace

why does the RHS of a BB have a left hand thread?

Postby cooperplace » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:09 am

I was changing the BB yesterday, installing a Shimano bottom bracket, of the type where there are two outboard bearings and the crank has a hollow axle attached. The right hand side bearing has a left-hand thread.

Why? Any force from the crank transmitted through the bearing would be directed clockwise as you look at the bike from the right, which would tend to tighten up a conventional RH thread. So why do they use a LH thread here?

Or am I missing something?
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

HappyHumber

Re: why does the RHS of a BB have a left hand thread?

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:25 am

"Precession" was the word I was trying to think of before Googling Sheldon Brown's site. I knew I had read it somewhere before. To quote Jobst Brandt:
Precession of right side BB cups is less obvious because the rotating load is only partial. The largest load being chain tension, that together with the moderately large downward force on the right crank and the smaller upward force from pushing down on the left crank, make 3/4 of a fully rotating load. For this reason some right BB cups have used right hand threads and some with left hand threads have loosened. The left BB cup with no significant rotating load has little tendency to turn.
full article : here
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 am

so am I right in thinking that maybe the RHS should have a RH thread? I'm still a little confused here.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 am

Follow the link on the word "Precession" in my last post; the little animation sums up the effect quite well visually, if like me you sometimes find the wordy explanations still wanting ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 am

Well it goes back to the original design where cups and bearings were used. The crank may rotate one way but it rolls the bearing the other way. The rotational force is now applied to the cup in the opposite direction to the rotation of the crank. So to counter that the cup is screwed in in a direction that would see it tighten rather than loosen. That's why the different screw threads on left and right sides.

Newer lighter sealed bearings may put different pressures but the theory probably still holds weight (pun intended). :lol:

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

It's a typical piece of British over engineering. The Italians find it unnecessary and don't bother...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:38 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Follow the link on the word "Precession" in my last post; the little animation sums up the effect quite well visually, if like me you sometimes find the wordy explanations still wanting ;)

yes, the animation there is great, certainly tells a 1000 words, and makes it all clear. Thank you.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 am

RonK wrote:It's a typical piece of British over engineering. The Italians find it unnecessary and don't bother...
And...unless you have a quality thread/b'bracket fit and are very careful with installation Italian and French fixed cups slowly unwind. Having dissembled a few over the years I have found 'production' Italian bikes tend to have a substance akin to soft Loctite in the threads of the fixed cup when removed.
Cheers
Richard