Old Great North Road

vegasbaby

Old Great North Road

Postby vegasbaby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 am

Hi all,

wondering if anyone has riden the Old Great North Road before (http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nswcu ... throad.htm)?
In particular I am wondering if there is a reasonably flat, non-technical section of the road, as close to Wiseman's Ferry as possible that is suitable for a young child.

The above website says:
You can cycle the 43 km section of the Old Great North Road in a day, or take alternative shorter routes. The steep ascent of Finchs Line is not suitable for mountain bikes and is a walking track only.

The road is recommended for experienced mountain bike riders only, as some sections are quite rocky and difficult to ride. If you're less experienced, be prepared to push your bike in many areas!
Thanks in advance.

Vegasbaby

L'iota

Re: Old Great North Road

Postby L'iota » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:41 pm

G'day Vegasbaby
Sorry to disappoint you but the answer to your question is simply NO. Once up the long ascent of Finch's Line the track is very technical, difficult and remote. The quote about only for experienced (and fit) mountain bikers is correct.

Regards, L'iota

vegasbaby

Postby vegasbaby » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Thanks a lot. Certainly saved some tears and frustration. Is the anywhere around there that you'd recommend?

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:48 am

The Western Commission Track joins up to the Old North Road and is non-technical (it's open to cars but very quiet). From there you can continue North down to the Buddhist retreat and even do a bit of a loop towards Mangrove Mountain all on non technical terrain. But it's not all flat there are some longish hills.

If you don't mind sharing with cars on a slightly busier road then past St Albans is gravel road up to Mogo campsite - a but of a climb but fun on the way back

Nearish is the Marramarra NP - that has some fire road that are nice and flat before they descend very steeply down to creeks.

Near Yarramalong there are also some fire road that are good for riding - undulating.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:50 am

Old Great North Rd is up and up for 4km or something. You are allowed to ride but it's hot work and not pleasant for children. Further, park rule disallows riding in the other direction (downhill).

St Albans is sufficiently close and kids can ride around there. Pretty flat. But I wouldn't take a child on the main road as cars are relatively fast for their width.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

vegasbaby

Postby vegasbaby » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the great tips guys. I will keep well clear of even the shared roads as my son is not even 5 yet.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Sparx wrote:The Western Commission Track joins up to the Old North Road and is non-technical (it's open to cars but very quiet). From there you can continue North down to the Buddhist retreat and even do a bit of a loop towards Mangrove Mountain all on non technical terrain. But it's not all flat there are some longish hills.
It used to have a locked gate at the start... Has that changed?.
Yes very non technical and like that for about 10kms. But also a big climb at the start... No good for a youngster.