Cleat Wear

kunalraiker

Cleat Wear

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 am

All,

I have noticed my cleats wearing quite a bit, now that I'am riding more often.

The wear is mainly in the locking front, ire- upper side of the cleat where it latches into the clip.
What this does is when traffic lights go greeen, I'am searching for that clamping just to get the cleat in place so that I can lock it.

Any recommendations on how I can slow down this wear.

il padrone

Re: Cleat Wear

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 am

What brand of cleats/pedals are you using?

Cleats are consumables - wear is generally to be expected. Walking on them adds to wear and the cleat on the shoe you usually put down at stops will wear faster. The plastic SPD-SL and Look cleats on road shoes are more prone to wear, while the metal cleats of SPD, Time and Eggbeaters are more durable as the cleat itself is tougher and it is recessed in the shoe sole.

I don't know of anything you can really do to slow cleat wear. If you have road shoes I'd advise not walking in them if you can avoid it - maybe carry some thongs in your back pocket, or get some Footbrakes. Look cleats do have a cleat cover I believe. If the cleat is not working it may be time for new cleats.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am

kunalraiker wrote:Any recommendations on how I can slow down this wear.
Lean on a car at the traffic lights to avoid unclipping ;)

(don't actually do this)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am

il padrone wrote:What brand of cleats/pedals are you using?
I use these ones.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/venzo ... pedals/XRW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 am

Uhuh. SPD-SL

They wear. Walking in them adds to this.......rapidly! I wore out a pair after two very steep climbs on my road bike (with its high bottom gear) that had me walking :( - 5kms up Mt Baw Baw then 7kms up the Back o' Falls on the ACE destroyed the cleat.

If you can't securely clip in then you're up for new cleats. They will be available at you LBS or on-line, probably $40 in the LBS.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm

kunalraiker wrote:
il padrone wrote:What brand of cleats/pedals are you using?
I use these ones.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/venzo ... pedals/XRW" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As IP says, the wear is probably from walking. But if recall correctly, genuine Shimano SPD-SL cleats have wings to protect the contact points.
Like this:

It's hard to tell, but the cleats in your link look like a after-market copy, without the wings.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:49 pm

They do seem to have raised bits, something like what the Shimano cleats have

But once they're worn, well it's time for new cleats. Like I said, I have no tips on how to slow the wear - just walking less.
Mandatory helmet law?

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm

Could you post a pic Kunalraiker, interested to see what sort of wear you are getting.

higdawg

Postby higdawg » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Related to this, when do you know when to replace cleats?
Is it just when they don't stay in anymore?

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Aren't the contact points on the underside of the cleat , and not actually in contact with the ground when you walk?

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:29 pm

once they look like this i would think.... :shock:

zero

Postby zero » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

higdawg wrote:Related to this, when do you know when to replace cleats?
SPDs have only 2 bolts, the usual failure point is that after extended wear the lip on the cleat grinds away and the bolt heads touch the ground, eventually the bolt heads grind away, and the plate securing the cleat comes free from one of the bolts, the cleat then turns on the shoe next time the rider tries to unclip, and turning on the shoe prevents it unclipping.

Moral of the story is to replace SPDs when the bolts show signs of grinding down and the plate is touching. Usually that is in concert with the shoe sole getting worn, so its a 50:50 on replace cleat or replace shoe.

other cleats may show different behaviors.

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:52 pm

Mine always wear on the top (towards front of shoe) and break off around the yellow part. Normally I can feel them getting loose in the pedals and even making a clicking noise when you are out of the saddle. You can tighten up the pedals to get a bit more out of them but the thought of having them come loose while riding hard is enough to make me replace them when they get to that point.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:54 pm

A_P wrote:Aren't the contact points on the underside of the cleat , and not actually in contact with the ground when you walk?
Contact points, not in contact with the ground when you walk :?

You been practicing your levitation skills, A_P ??? :P
Mandatory helmet law?

A_P

Postby A_P » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:00 pm

the part of the cleat that locks into the pedal isn't what you wear down when you walk around on them

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Cleats are worn when there is nothing for the pedal to latch onto, right?

So with SPD-SL, you have heaps of yellow... putting a foot down at lights really shouldn't affect this at all, right?

I've done 3500km in my current set of cleats and while they look a bit weathered there is a heap of meat left to hold me in.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:19 pm

Ah, yes. What happened with my Shimano ones is the plastic became so shredded with fibrous plastic bits hanging about at the toe contact that the contact tab would not easily or smoothly fit into the pedal hook. It would go in eventually but the hassle at traffic light starts was something I could do without. Virtually all the yellow was worn off the back end.
Mandatory helmet law?

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

higdawg wrote:Related to this, when do you know when to replace cleats?
Shimano has specific reference on this. Otherwise change if there's any other bits that are loose or showing abnormal wear. A malfunctioning cleat is a very bad thing. Play safe.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm

sogood wrote:Shimano has specific reference on this. Otherwise change if there's any other bits that are loose or showing abnormal wear. A malfunctioning cleat is a very bad thing. Play safe.
That image is a bit confusing. Is it pretty much saying when you lose the yellow, get a new cleat?

The front yellow part wears and can crack off if you are climbing stairs. Otherwise I've found that I don't normally walk on it unless I am pushing off from my toes. The back will wear from walking in them or slipping on asphalt (which I did yesterday to my new cleat when hopping off the bike :( ).

I bought a couple of pairs of new cleats at the one time when they were $23 at the old Goldcross in Richmond before it turned to Amart. $40 is a bit much to pay, IMO. You may as well buy in bulk from Wiggle or wherever and get the free shipping when you spend over the required amount. :) In the end I know I'm going to be using the current cleats up and replacing them sometime or other so it's good to have them ready.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Summernight wrote:That image is a bit confusing. Is it pretty much saying when you lose the yellow, get a new cleat?
That's right.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.