[POLL] Are you satisfied with the Lance Armstrong Confession

Are you satisfied with the Lance Armstrong Confession?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 90
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

[POLL] Are you satisfied with the Lance Armstrong Confession

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:44 pm

Part One has just been broadcast. There were some confessions and some denials, were you satisfied?

(thanks TomBikes for sharing the link)

The ongoing thread for this discussion is: Holy showtime Batman - Lance to admit doping?

On BNA a brief overview of the interview, what was admitted, what was not, what was avoided: Lance Armstrong Officially Confesses: “One Big Lie”

As soon as I spot a copy of Part One available I will post the link here if you didn't see it. Apparantly, highlights will be available here (though wern't working yet).
Cycling is in my BNA

MarkG

Re: [POLL] Are you satisfied with the Lance Armstrong Confes

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm

I'll pass total judgement til I've seen the whole interview, but FWIW, he is already a lot more frank and open than I thought he'd be.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm

MarkG wrote:I'll pass total judgement til I've seen the whole interview, but FWIW, he is already a lot more frank and open than I thought he'd be.
Exactly the same.

People are picking at certain things he didn't talk about, but yeah, on the whole I was surprised at the depth and openness.

I call !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! on him not being juiced during the comeback though. Statute of limitations? I guess the thing now is that we all know how well the guy lies. It's tough to know when he's telling the truth, unless it's being corroborated by others who have nothing to gain.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:58 pm

MarkG wrote:I'll pass total judgement til I've seen the whole interview, but FWIW, he is already a lot more frank and open than I thought he'd be.
+1
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Definitely not satisfied. There were no details, lot's of deflection and IMO a lack of real contrition.

He said he was going to answer ALL questions but wouldn't answer questions about Betsy Andreu.

All of his talking about himself in the 3rd person as if another person was cheating.

I'm no fan of the UCI - mentioned many times - yet he donated money to them - he said he donated money only when he retired - WRONG - he donated in 2002 as well.

He is doing the bare minimum and betting on the Orah watching public not being informed.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:15 pm

As with others absolute judgement is reserved until the second interview is aired. As of here and now though not satisfied in the slightest. Yes he's owned up but that was practically a given from the moment he gave up the fight with USADA. Until he illuminates how the whole doping regime was systematic, and the connections within it's no more than than yet another TDF rider (albeit the most prominent one) on the juice story.

Professional cycling was at a four lane arterial crossroad in 1999 after the Festina affair. Lance might've helped it go another way. Instead it looks so far that the limited confession line he's pursuing will merely keep the stench of doping in cycling lingering for more years to come.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I think a lot of people out there, cyclists and non cyclist included wanted mostly to hear the words "yes" when asked if he cheated and took drugs, and weren't totally invested in the whole deep seeded scandal.

The reality is, its only a 2 hour interview, and if you were hoping for a full detailed manifesto of how deep doping and corruption runs within the UCI, US Postal etc , I think it was always going to be asking a lot for a one off interview.
In the mind of Oprah and her network it's entertainment first, and investigative journalism second.
Just remember, Oprahs's previous guests on this segment have included Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and Linsay Lohan, so read in to that what you will.

I dare say that if or when a full royal commission in to corruption and sanctioned doping within the UCI ever happens, and Lance is called up, then you'll get the full inner workings of what happened in those bleak years.

As for the Betsy Andreu part, I've not seen it yet so I can't comment.

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:42 pm

I found it hard to watch, it was soooooooooooo Embarrassing :oops:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

re poll I'm happy with what he said (I've not seen the whole interview yet) but agree with MarkG I want to see how deep the Rabbit hole goes :mrgreen:

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Lance appears to me to be sorry that he was caught - not that he doped. I will be a little more satisfied if and when he apologises to the riders that he belittled, harassed and falsely accused of lying about his drug use.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm

I'll say one thing - the past 12 months have aged him 20 years!

roller

Postby roller » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:13 pm

MarkG wrote:IAs for the Betsy Andreu part, I've not seen it yet so I can't comment.
she's seen it, she's not happy:

i'm going to vote on her behalf in this poll, will be voting with "not satisfied"
inflammatory statement or idea

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Satisfied he's owned up, yes. Satisfied he's made amends/or is going to make amends/is going to apologise to certain people, no.

Jim

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Dang .. she's furious.

So has anyone actually seen the whole thing yet?

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:59 pm

I believe Armstrong is sorry. Sorry he got caught....

Weak interview, self serving, full of avoidance. As if he can't remember that he/they sued Emma O'Reilly.

If you want to come clean, do it in front of USADA instead of some stage managed performance on a talk show.

Why didn't Oprah push the hospital confession. Just weak effort from both interviewer and interviewee.
Last edited by bianchi928 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Apple wrote:I found it hard to watch, it was soooooooooooo Embarrassing :oops:
+1. Straight face tutorial.

Otherwise I am finding it hard to judge whether I am satisfied with LA's confession. From some angles, it's not sufficient until he does a harakiri in front of Oprah. From other angles, this is a good and sufficient start for both himself and the whole sport.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Thankyou for sharing the Betsy Andreu video, I she certainly has my sympathy after how much she and her husband have endured for their 'honesty' and when finally given the chance, she is let down again. Armstrong said there was an agreement or deal with Andreu so it wouldn't be discussed, but if she knows nothing of this, could it be that Lance Armstrong is.... lying? Wouldn't be the first time and the advantage of not answering this is self preservation where he is likely protecting himself from legal action (admit, I am not up to scratch on the legal implications and at which point he escapes under the statute of limitations or is still liable).
Cycling is in my BNA

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:39 pm

ball bearing wrote:Lance appears to me to be sorry that he was caught - not that he doped.
That's what I took away from the interview.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:46 pm

He's pretty adamant he didn't dope in '09 and '10 but then again, he was also adamant he'd never doped, period.

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:48 pm

MarkG wrote:He's pretty adamant he didn't dope in '09 and '10 but then again, he was also adamant he'd never doped, period.
+1.

How can you believe anything he ever says again?
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:52 pm

bianchi928 wrote:I believe Armstrong is sorry. Sorry he got caught....
From another angle with fact, doping was the prevail culture of cycling in Euroland in those days. And here comes a driven Texan who played their game in typical American corporate fashion (ie. Big money, MBA 101 and latest technology) and "won". It certainly turned the Euro Pros on their head and broke their dominance. With thinking like that, it's no surprise he would feel sorry that he got caught. Not saying he is right but just trying to analyse what's going on in his head. To me, it's all quite logical. And yes, JohanB is also a very intelligent man. Even with dope and bullying, what they did could not have been done without well above average levels of intellect. Reminds me of the movie "The Brain" (1969).
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Not at all satisfied... he not only deflected, or refused to answer questions - but he was still lying!
He neglected the earlier donations that he made to the UCI, all the while saying "I hate them, I'd tip them in." If he hates them, why did he give them money - on more than one occasion?
And how can he say he never tested positive right before admitting the backdated prescription for cortisone? For some reason he doesnt seem to consider cortisone a performance enhancing drug, because even when he was talking about the drugs he took, he'd only mention EPO, Testosterone (while justifying it) and transfusions.
Not to mention the cop out way that he answered questions about pressuring others into riding - Oprah called him on the semantics, but didn't call him on the outright lies, if you're prepared to believe a number of other whistleblowers.
I think I'll go out for a ride tomorrow at about 1pm, I dont really want to sit through any more of his crap.

liamb

Postby liamb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:03 pm

The reality is he has told lies for sooo long it must be natural for him to keep lying when he needs to, so it will be very hard to take anything he says as fact.
The other fact is he will never implicate anyone else as he will have been advised not to sink others who will be likely to sue/ work against him because the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! will hit his fan no in a big way and he will not want anything or anyone working against him when his back is against the wall. He could also be liable if he implicates anyone and they have more money, better lawyers or the backing of USADA or WADA.
It was hard to listen to it as there are so many people who got burnt/ missed out on sponsorship, podiums, success. You only need to read the transcript of Nicole Cooke's retirement speech. Lance does not give a f&%k about the people like Cooke and those people will never get anything back for people like lance. It is still all about lance and will be for a long time.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote: I think I'll go out for a ride tomorrow at about 1pm, I dont really want to sit through any more of his crap.
Best idea I've heard all day...