MAD Ride 3rd March

il padrone

MAD Ride 3rd March

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Posting this here in the Victorian forum as it maybe a bit more locally relevant.

Entries are open and coming in for this year's Melbourne Autumn Day Ride (MAD Ride). It is the longest running mass recreational ride in Victoria, held every year since 1983. It is based out of Woodend, Victoria (at the Buffalo Stadium) and there are four route options available:

35km road cruise – family friendly, on quiet roads
50km road ride - through open farmland and native forest
105km road challenge - including Mt Macedon
60km MTB ride - through the Wombat State Forest

Because this is a club-run event with large volunteer support, we have been able to keep entry fees to a very affordable price, while still providing an exceptional fun day out for all riders. Entries can be made on-line here. The ride is earlier this year so you'll need to get in quick for early entry to have a chance at the draw for a Vivente World Randonneur touring bike (courtesy of sponsors, Abbotsford Cycles and Vivente Bikes). Early entries close Feb 8th.

Hope to see you out on the roads or trails.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: MAD Ride 3rd March

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:52 am

:( Maybe one day it'll be scheduled so my roster doesn't conflict. Finish at 0130 that morning. Wombat Forest is a blast.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Argh, shame about that, Shaun. We had a hell of a time finding a spare weekend, so many other events that are clashing. That's why it is about four weeks earlier than past years.

More details and a flyer about the ride can be found at the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAD-Ride" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 279?ref=hl
Mandatory helmet law?

theprophet

Postby theprophet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm

im riding the 105k :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Good to hear. It is a great challenge route.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:34 pm

Feb 8th is coming up now. Last day to enter and be in the prize draw for the Vivente World Randonneur, and the price is cheaper for early entries.
Mandatory helmet law?

Gassy

Postby Gassy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 am

Doing the 105 too. Looking forward to this ride, i don't get out this side of Melbourne much, should be a nice change of scenery, and with Mt Macedon included, this is a great route.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

il padrone wrote:Argh, shame about that, Shaun. We had a hell of a time finding a spare weekend, so many other events that are clashing. That's why it is about four weeks earlier than past years.

More details and a flyer about the ride can be found at the Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MAD-Ride" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 279?ref=hl
I'm trying to organize a similar ride for (probably) April 13, for anyone who can't do this day, or those who can't get enough of the Macedon ranges (which are something else again in mid-April). Just an informal gathering, but there'll probably be a mixture of more and less experienced cyclists so might need two groups. Seeing as I just did a ride up "the hard way" next time I'd probably want to try the ascent from Woodend, though I would hate to miss the spectacular autumn colours whooshing back down towards Gisborne at 80 k/h...

Does anybody know if the road surface along Kearneys Rd & Pearces Rd (connecting C318 and C317 just south of Trentham) is OK? Looks a bit rough on Google street view.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Next Sunday is the day! Buffalo Stadium in Woodend.

If you are planning to enter on the day, be sure to be up there with plenty of time to get in the queue early. Pack you bike and all gear - including spare tube, patch kit, tyre levers, pump, a few other tools (multi-tool, spanner, etc) with some spares like cables - ahead of time. Include a rainjacket, even though the forecast is looking very fine and be sure to carry a water bottle. Maybe even go over the bike the day before to check cables, tyre condition, drivetrain etc. If you are on the MTB you may want to choose tyres carefully - lots of rain today but by Sunday it will probably have all dried to give a hard clay base underneath. Beware of the mud wallows with hard clay beneath - can be very slippery !
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm guessing the similarity between the rider in the middle of that pic and the beret'ed cyclist in your MHL thread pic is not co-incidental...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Hey.... what?

No, never worn a beret in my life. That's a good friend of mine who is about 10-15 years my senior. I'm wearing the grey Rapha cycling cap and plus-fours, holding my Gerald Tate single speed with Carradice saddlebag.
Mandatory helmet law?

y2dvsn

Postby y2dvsn » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Hey guys, the 50km ride looks like it could be a bit of fun. Okay, now this could be a stupid question but would it be fine to attempt this with a single-speed?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi

It really depends on how fit you are, what distances you have experience with riding (on any bike) and the gearing you use. The single speed I use has been ridden for 190kms in West Gippsland's flatland and hills to the south. On the hills I rode faster than my friends on their 27spd bikes, 'cos they geared down of course. I just had to stand and push in the 65" gear.

On the 50km route there is a fair bit of flattish riding and really no hills that are steep or long. If your gears are reasonable and you are used to pushing up a few hills you should be fine. With an 85" gear and never been further afield than Brunswick to St Kilda....? You might find it a bit tough.
Mandatory helmet law?