Hit and Run Sydney North

grantw

Hit and Run Sydney North

Postby grantw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Very sad news here - I know the guy, he's a member of Audax. My thoughts are with him and his family.

If you saw anything suspicious, let the Police know.

Ozkaban

Re: Hit and Run Sydney North

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Wow, sad news indeed.

I hope he recovers ok and they find the scum...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Firstly, hope he recovers fully and there are no long lasting effects from the accident.

Secondly, this is why I run a go pro on the rear. I have told my fiancée to always go for the gopro if anything ever happens to me. It will be one of the few ways to get such hit and run scum without witnesses.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:11 pm

That Pittwater Rd can be rather dodgy in the twisty section at the Gladesville end. The few pot holes can suddenly put a rider or motor vehicle out of line. Hope the involved can be identified!
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:44 pm

He's a good cycling buddy of mine. Did all 300kms and 400km with him. Not the best thing to hear about.

If anyone saw anything, please let the police know.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Sad news & no doubt some difficult days ahead. Hope he recovers fully & quickly

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

someone will have unexplained damage to their vehicle - hitting a cyclist or pedestrian causes unique damage - i.e. mostly to the rear of the bonnet and windscreen. it's just a question of whether people who become aware of that damage have the character to act on it.

i believe this is how they usually get hit-and-run drivers.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:54 pm

On our club rides on Tuesday nights at Olympic Park, we had a Mercedes tried to intimidate and collided with one of our members. Fortunately he stayed on the bike and suffered a torn shorts + bruised bottom but unforuately the other riders got the first 3 letters of the license plate XET ???. The car is also missing a left exterior mirror. A police report has been filed and SOP rangers have been contacted to review the video tapes in the area but yeah, GoPro a must front and back.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:08 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:The car is also missing a left exterior mirror.
this car would be easy for the cops to find - it would be the one ordering a new LH mirror from mercedes (although admittedly these days you can go online).

Apple

Postby Apple » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:15 pm

. :( :evil:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

derek594

Postby derek594 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:49 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:On our club rides on Tuesday nights at Olympic Park, we had a Mercedes tried to intimidate and collided with one of our members. Fortunately he stayed on the bike and suffered a torn shorts + bruised bottom but unforuately the other riders got the first 3 letters of the license plate XET ???. The car is also missing a left exterior mirror. A police report has been filed and SOP rangers have been contacted to review the video tapes in the area but yeah, GoPro a must front and back.
I do not see why we should have to pay for a gopro front and rear. Why can't people just be an upstanding member of the community and not act like idiots. They need to understand the consequences of their actions.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

derek594 wrote: I do not see why we should have to pay for a gopro front and rear. Why can't people just be an upstanding member of the community and not act like idiots. They need to understand the consequences of their actions.
no one said you should, just that you do :)

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Absolutely right! Root cause, cowardly drivers but the fact of life is that there are cowards out there in society that pray on the vulnerable and do acts that basically can end someone's life. Someone who is a person, a friend, a work colleague etc.

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:14 pm

derek594 wrote:
Why can't people just be an upstanding member of the community and not act like idiots.
Unfortunately some people are low lifes and they don't give a rats about anything other than themself.

Fortunately most people are decent so we just have to accept that some vermin are among us. The sort of vermin that hits a cyclist or person and leaves them lying on the road.

This poor guy has serious head injuries. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:23 pm

derek594 wrote:I do not see why we should have to pay for a gopro front and rear. Why can't people just be an upstanding member of the community and not act like idiots. They need to understand the consequences of their actions.
Theory vs Practice. Your choice.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sb944

Postby sb944 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:On our club rides on Tuesday nights at Olympic Park, we had a Mercedes tried to intimidate and collided with one of our members. Fortunately he stayed on the bike and suffered a torn shorts + bruised bottom but unforuately the other riders got the first 3 letters of the license plate XET ???. The car is also missing a left exterior mirror. A police report has been filed and SOP rangers have been contacted to review the video tapes in the area but yeah, GoPro a must front and back.
XET plate = 1000 cars, Mercedes maybe 5-10 of those, probably 1 or 2 of those live west of that area and probably 1 would feasibly drive that way. But then if he wasn't speeding where a speed camera is, that's unsolvable for the cops.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:00 pm

sb944 wrote:
XET plate = 1000 cars, Mercedes maybe 5-10 of those, probably 1 or 2 of those live west of that area and probably 1 would feasibly drive that way. But then if he wasn't speeding where a speed camera is, that's unsolvable for the cops.
It makes me wonder too. I had my students "doxing" today, finding out online information about people, but using me as a target. In an hour they had reconstructed my work history for the past 20 years, found my mobile number, private email address, all the places I've lived since moving out of my parent's home, found my brother, sister, aunts and uncles and so on. Three letters from a license plate, even if they're not exact, and a car make should be child's play with the RMS database.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm

:( I hate these threads. Hope he comes through it with no permanent damage.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:19 am

Terrible. :( Fortunately the first three letters of the license plate, along with the colour and the fact it is a Benz should make it easy enough to track down who it is. There will only be a few Benzs like that without a left-mirror. If the cops check it quickly - they'll probably nab the perpetrator.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 am

Hopefully they find the guy and NSW police are more proactive than VICPOL.
Still awaiting VIC POL to track down the guy who hit me in May last year.
White Commodore SQM.

simonn

Postby simonn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Just got back from the hospital and unfortunately he is not going to make it. Gutted, is an understatement.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Argh, no! That is really terrible to hear.

A hard place to be in now for you and his family. Bear up with it as best you can. :(
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Ah crap :cry:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:16 am

That's something you never want to hear about.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:18 am

Just awful news. My thoughts are with his friends & family