Spartan bike bags

Fresh

Spartan bike bags

Postby Fresh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Has anyone got or had one of these and has a recommendation for or against?

https://store-1507f.mybigcommerce.com/s ... -bike-bag/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're half price at the moment at $369 which seems like a good deal. It looks like you dont have to dismantle the bike too much - as in other cases I've seen - which is a bit of a plus.

Only weighs 7kgs too.

biker jk

Re: Spartan bike bags

Postby biker jk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm

It looks like a copy of the Scicon Aerocomfort plus. I have the Scicon and that price is pretty good. The main negative is that the shifters can get bumped unless you use sufficient padding. Having said that our bikes have survived many trips without any damage. The light weight of the bag means that you can also carry helnet, shoes, etc. and still be under 20kg.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Cool. I have a large sheet of foam padding I could wrap around the bars and other fragile bits. Might grab this then.

clovermoore

Postby clovermoore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:38 am

i got one of these bags but paid $400. its great. its the same as the sci con except the wheels are a lot better. i just put a bit of bubble wrap around it and havnt had any dramas.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

clovermoore wrote:i got one of these bags but paid $400. its great. its the same as the sci con except the wheels are a lot better. i just put a bit of bubble wrap around it and havnt had any dramas.
Welcome to the forums clovermoore. Just like to say I like what you are doing with sydney bike paths :mrgreen:
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Mine arrived yesterday. Impressive bag! I'm sure it weighs more than 7kg though...

scirocco

Postby scirocco » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 pm

It depends what your priorities are. Bags like these offers no more protection than a cardboard box with some skateboard wheels on the bottom.

If you can afford to invest a few hours and are handy with a Stanley knife then customising a cardboard bike shop box is a cheaper option that offers just as much protection (i.e. not much, the protection comes from padding the tubes and components with PVC foam tubing.)

If you don't have the time or the inclination and don't mind a few kg extra then go for the bag. It will probably last a bit longer as well.