Giant Anther x29er frame cracking

Peterider

Giant Anther x29er frame cracking

Postby Peterider » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:00 am

I have now been through four anthem x 29er frames since 2011. Each one has cracked and the joint between the seatpost and top tube. Giant just tell me each time that they have improved the weld and it sholdnt happen again. The most recent was a new 2013 frame which i got in november and I can already see the hairlines starting to appear on the weld. Im not the lightest of people at about 100kg, but im sure i am not the heaviest person to ride a bike either! I am not sure what giant are going to do this time, but surely it cannot be cost effective for them to just keep sending out new frames? Has anyone else had the same problem?

limetang

Re: Giant Anther x29er frame cracking

Postby limetang » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm

How far is your seatpost inserted into the seat tube out of curiosity? Ive seen a crack in that place on an old school hardtail frame cos the post didnt insert far enough to reinforce the joint your talking about. By the way im 110kg and have an anthem 26er with no problems

Peterider

Postby Peterider » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:04 am

I have it at about the 40mm mark. There is about 50-60mm after the minumium mark, so more than the recommended 80mm. I asked Giant last time if they thought it would be better if they gave me an XL frame as i am on the border between a L and XL. They said that would be a good idea as it would let the seat post be a little further in, but they ended up just sending another large.

limetang

Postby limetang » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:10 am

I ride a XL being 6'2 cos i prefer a long top tube. Strange to have ongoing problems with a brand like giant, sounds like the warranty is great but the frame shouldnt be cracking to begin with. If it happens again an XL frame might be worth a try imo.

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 am

Hmm, didn't start creaking from around that area prior did it?

Mine's becoming quite symphonic between that and ticking/creaking noises from the rear suspension linkages that keep loosening up every few rides... :|
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am

The rear linkage symphony is the cheap as needle bearings gasping their last in all their unprotected glory...IME they need to be changed out every second year. Or sooner...the Enduro bearings in mine have been excellent

As for the seat tube to top tube weld...I suspect that the Anthem 29er frame was well and truly designed and made for XC only. And anyone trying to do much more than that with them is bringing them undone. To Giant's cost.

I suggest next time you see if you can get a Reign 29er frame instead. Personally...if mine expires in the future it is going to Gripsport for a gusset rather than into Giant's recycling bin.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:29 am

silentbutdeadly wrote:The rear linkage symphony is the cheap as needle bearings gasping their last in all their unprotected glory...IME they need to be changed out every second year. Or sooner...the Enduro bearings in mine have been excellent
Mine started up from about the third ride in; it's been back to the LBS twice and both times they told me the bolts were loose (in an accusatory tone :| ). They're always fine after the bike comes back from the shop though; I guess I should bite the bullet and buy a torque wrench but it just doesn't seem that removing the cranks to tighten a bunch of bolts should be a frequent maintenance job...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:16 pm

If it's the bolts...then they need more loctite. But if they've been loose then I'd strip them down, clean them up and dry lube the shafts...there's no wear tolerance in the rear linkages so the shafts themselves get eaten. It can also put sideways pressure on the bearings and they weren't designed for this. They don't need much torque - about the same as the crankset bolts from memory.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle