Ultegra di2

HoldYaLine

Ultegra di2

Postby HoldYaLine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey guys bought my new bike today and i have two questions
I charged the battery for 3 hours, I read charging is complete when the light turns off, light turned off so i took it out. I place the battery in and automattically, the light on the stem turns green then it goes away. then to check battery life am i right in saying you push the button for a second and based on the colour, that is the charge left? well i have charged it twice but when i press the button, it stays red and only turns off if i press the button again, what does this mean ? i charged it full isnt it ment to be green?

And, isnt the front deraliur ment to trim the rear shifts? when i get to the 3rd chainring it just starts rubbing on the front derailieur and then i have to go into the big ring? surely i can stay in the 1st sprocket in the front for more than three cogs? and this whole electronics main advantage is the auto trim? maybe it is set up incorectly

wombatK

Re: Ultegra di2

Postby wombatK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Possibly you worry too much about the battery. I've had my Ultegra Di2 for 8 months (and 3000km), and have
charged it just twice - used it "out of the box" without any checks. Figured I could ride
home in limp-home mode without any trouble if battery wasn't charged.

I've not had any trouble with the FD rubbing, and couldn't tell you how far across it goes before the
FD will auto-trim. It auto-trims, and I don't have to worry about it.

If you're getting rubbing, then maybe you should get your LBS to check it out.

While the auto-trim is nice, I wouldn't say its the main benefit - for mine, it's the timing
and smoothness of changes. Specifically, it is being able to do FD changes flawlessly while
under high load on hills.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

HoldYaLine

Postby HoldYaLine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:01 pm

i probably will take it to the bike shop i dont want to spend my life in the big ring because three cogs before rubbing in the back is ludicrous. As for the battery im sure it is fully charged, i just have no idea for why the indicator is displaying 25 percent

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Which button are you pressing to find out the remaining charge?

It seems this same issue was reported a while ago HERE and the consensus was you need to press one of the shift buttons for a couple of seconds (not the button on the junction box).

Hope this helps....

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:22 pm

To check the charge, hold any of the shift buttons for 2 secs and the charge indicator will illuminate...

If the auto trim function isn't working it means either the limit screws on the FD are not properly adjusted, or the indexing on the RD +/- limit screws are not appropriately adjusted. If u follow the installation manual for setup to the letter, u will rarely need to adjust it ever again... It's quite simple to do...

gistane

Postby gistane » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:44 pm

What it actually sounds like is you have pressed the button on the box which goes in to essentially your setup mode.

I guess you are in the mode and pressing the button to change gears which is basically screwing up your settings and it is not trimming because you are not actually in riding mode.

To check charge as others have posted the buttons you press to change gears you hold that down for a couple of seconds.

It may pay to read the manuals that should have come with the bike on how to use your di2 and what everything does.

You may need to take the bike back now anyway to make sure that your bike gears are correctly adjusted before you stuff it up totally because you have changed the settings

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 am

+1 to what has been said, to check battery level;
"Press and hold either shifting switch for 0.5 seconds or more. You can check the amount of battery charge remaining using the
battery indicator on junction (A)."

By holding the button on junction box you are actually putting the system into adjustment/recovery mode and possibly playing with your RD alignment unknowingly;
"Press the button at the junction (A) of the SM-EW67-A-E until the red LED illuminates in order to switch to rear derailleur adjustment mode. Note that if you keep pressing the button after the red LED
has illuminated, protection recovery operation will begin.
If shifting switch (X) is pressed once while the initial setting condition is active, the guide pulley will move one step toward the
inside.
If shifting switch (Y) is pressed once, the guide pulley will move one step toward the outside.
The guide pulley can move 15 steps inward and 15 steps outward from the initial position, for a total of 31 positions.
When adjusting, the guide pulley will overrun slightly and then move back in an exaggerated movement so that you can check
the adjustment direction. When checking the positions of the guide pulley and the sprocket, check at the position where the
guide pulley finally stops."

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:34 pm

So to retune your RD, I would use these steps which in a stand...
1) shift to your 11 cog
2) hold junction box button and put into adjustment mode
3) press the Y button 30+ times to put the RD in the most outboard position.
4) press the X button until the RD moves to the 12 cog
5) press the Y button until the chain moves back to the 11 cog

Then above steps are prob superfluous but it will get your adjustment close so u can now follow the standard tuning process as outlined in the technical guide (and not be worried that your starting position is so far out that it is close to one cog out)

So therefore:
6) press the button on the junction box to take the system out of adjustment mode
7) move RD to the 4th or 5th cog.
8) put the system back into adjustment mode
9) press the X button a number of times, just until the chain starts to rub, or chatter, against the next (bigger) sprocket
10) press the Y button 4 times
11) take system out of adjustment mode