Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Fremantle Ports has awarded a $13m contract to construction firm, Brierty Ltd to construct roads and services on reclaimed land at Rous Head, Fremantle. Part of this contract will see the building of a cycle and pedestrian path along the sea wall.

I have posted a little bit more detail in at my blog but the image above pretty much sums up what is planned.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

by BNA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

BNA

Re: Rous Head (North Mole) Fremantle to get a cycle path

Postby BaldPatch » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image
Fremantle Ports has awarded a $13m contract to construction firm, Brierty Ltd to construct roads and services on reclaimed land at Rous Head, Fremantle. Part of this contract will see the building of a cycle and pedestrian path along the sea wall.

I have posted a little bit more detail in at my blog but the image above pretty much sums up what is planned.

I was working near there a couple of months ago and noticed a locked gate stopping access to the cycleway near the service station.
A sign said "roadworks" but I suspect the problem may be winter storms cause waves to break over the cyclceway...an unusual hazard

Andrew
BaldPatch

Postby RobertFrith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Sounds good in principle. The primary function of the shared path south of Tydeman Road is parking for fisherfolk and surfers. Some policing of parking will be necessary.
RobertFrith

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:30 am

The road rather than the path was open to Rous Head about a week or so ago. The path was still closed as they where surfacing sections due to the bitumen bubbling up rather nicely.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 am

RobertFrith wrote:Sounds good in principle. The primary function of the shared path south of Tydeman Road is parking for fisherfolk and surfers. Some policing of parking will be necessary.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby farnorth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:23 pm

I always leave the cycle path for the road at the very first cross-gully when heading south, and vice-versa; this part of an otherwise good path is very poorly designed.
farnorth

Postby RobertFrith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Yep, the gullys (I feel sure the "engineers" have a more neutral name for them) are an obstacle for cyclists. Moreover they seem to demarcate a space made especially available for cars; drivers actually reverse park into them completely obstructing the path. Cyclists are one thing but dog help anyone in a wheelchair who takes it into their mind to use the shared path to north mole.
RobertFrith

Return to Western Australia