GPS Worth it? Which One?

dynamictiger

GPS Worth it? Which One?

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Seldom do I ride anywhere I haven't driven and usually then only after a thorough pouring over a cycling map. However on Friday I thought I had done enough research and read up on the route I was going to use and I still got turned around and misplaced.

So I thought Id do what I did when I last did this in my car and buy a GPS machine.

However looking at the Garmin range they at first appeared expensive, however after reading their site I am starting to wonder which model may suit me? And then what others are out there that may suit.

I think all I need is something I can input a new route into on my computer and upload the course to it so I can then follow along on screen with some confidence when I am in foreign locations. All the other stuff is just nice. If I have a map I can zoom into or zooms in and shows a turn left or right that would be enough.

I may be misreading the garmin site but it appears near any of their units would do this. Is this correct?

coops

Re: GPS Worth it? Which One?

Postby coops » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm

dynamictiger wrote:I may be misreading the garmin site but it appears near any of their units would do this. Is this correct?
I have the edge 200 which I think is bottom of the range, and I use this feature. You map out a course on the garmin connect web site, send it to the device by USB. When you head out for the ride it shows a little graphic of what the next 80m of road looks like so you can tell when a turn is coming up etc. No street names or anything, just a line.

It works ok, though it did get confused when I tried to go backwards along a one way course one time.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Can't blame it going backwards is difficult enough when going forwards

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I have the Garmin 500 red/carbon one with cadence sensor + HRM - bought from evans for like $250 delivered. Best decision I ever made, has taken my riding to another level.

I cant imagine not training with it now - so useful knowing your heartrate, cadence, speed, distance ect. right in front of you + of course strava and garmin connect sites.
Last edited by merlin6014 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sblack

Postby sblack » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:39 pm

All models allow a bread crumb trail type of map to follow. If you want proper maps you need to go to the 800 or 810. I personally use the 500 and have used it for navigation in unfamiliar areas by uploading a ride to it from Bike Route Toaster. If you make sure you add course points with appropriate descriptions then it works better as the course point and it's description pops up on the Edge, you can also choose to add course point warning points which basically repeats all the course points a set number of meters ahead, the default being 200m. I find that works really well as you get 200m notice of an upcoming turn and it's description.

The 800/810 adds the benefit of being able to recalculate a route on the fly in the event of missing a turn or if for example a road you chose is closed. I had that happen once in the middle of a state forest and ended up having to use google maps on the phone to find my way. The other advantage of the 800/810 in this regard is you can just go out exploring then let it tell you how to get home, this has some definite appeal for me for the MTB but I just can't justify the cost when I already have the 500 and a smart phone which together does the job ok.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:55 pm

merlin6014 wrote:I have the Garmin 500 red/carbon one with cadence sensor + HRM - bought from evans for like $250 delivered. Best decision I ever made, has taken my riding to another level.

I cant imagine not training with it now - so useful knowing your heartrate, cadence, speed, distance ect. right in front of you + of course strava and garmin connect sites.
So how do you get on for local maps?

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:05 pm

So far all the posts have talked abour garmin...how about bryton/ mio/et al?

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm

What phone do you have?

Never realised the 500 could do basic navigation...will have to look into this.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I don't own a mobile...Sorry bit antiquated like that

merlin6014

Postby merlin6014 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:45 pm

dynamictiger wrote:
merlin6014 wrote:I have the Garmin 500 red/carbon one with cadence sensor + HRM - bought from evans for like $250 delivered. Best decision I ever made, has taken my riding to another level.

So how do you get on for local maps?
Havnt even explored that function yet (i get distracted with all the other stuff it does). One thing is i probably wouldnt be worried about the dollar outlay these things are so poluarr you will get most of your money back on ebay anyway

ohexploitable

Postby ohexploitable » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 am

get a phone lol

even a $50 android will have gps functionality
I DIDN'T EAT FOR THREE DAYS SO I COULD BE LOVELY

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:14 am

ohexploitable wrote:get a phone lol

That is true, If mapping is all you need then a smartphone should do that.

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:35 am

If I wanted a phone I would buy one. I don't want one. I don't see the need for one (as a phone). All mobile phones are IMO is a new excuse to drag money from your pocket by the telecommunications companies. Sorry I existed for way way many years without one I certainly don't need one now.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 am

dynamictiger wrote:

If I wanted a phone I would buy one. I don't want one. I don't see the need for one (as a phone). All mobile phones are IMO is a new excuse to drag money from your pocket by the telecommunications companies. Sorry I existed for way way many years without one I certainly don't need one now.

That is a wow statement right there!

If you dont mind me asking your age?

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 am

You are only as young as the one you feel isn't it? I am 52.

I have watched in some amusement as the rise of the mobile to become an essential of everyday life. When the marketers first started pushing them as a part of everyday life I thought it was amusing rather than essential. I couldn't and still don't believe people can't see this for what it actually is.

I am even more amused by the I...ne saga. My staff come in and show me their latest ixxxx and how it can do whatever and I know in twelve months time they will be back in my office showing me the next great ixxxx. In addition the telcos charge money for carrying the service you may or may not use and then f... up the bills from what I can see.

I may be antiquated in my thinking, frankly I don't care much, what I see is I can have my home phone, internet, calls to mobile, calls to national numbers all bundled up in one monthly bill for a fixed price and it does all I need personally. For work I just don't go out much and if they force me too I take the boss's mobile.

thejester

Postby thejester » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 am

Bryton also have GPS map + cadence
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

dynamictiger

Postby dynamictiger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:43 am

The brytons look very inviting, especially looking at the Evans pricing, however I am unclear on the maps.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:20 pm

__PG__ wrote:
+1, can anybody expand on how this is done. I've used Connect to plot a map of a route I was looking to ride to see total km and elevations but how do you put it on the device?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Depends on your use. For cycle-touring I use the Garmin eTrex 30. Longer battery use with AA batteries (I'm often out for several days) and ability to either upload maps or swap in a microSD card. It is a bulkier unit but this is no bother.

Heart-rate and cadence monitors are needless for me.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:42 pm

danny the boy wrote:
__PG__ wrote:
+1, can anybody expand on how this is done. I've used Connect to plot a map of a route I was looking to ride to see total km and elevations but how do you put it on the device?
I use RideWithGPS but other sites will be the same. Your route on the website needs to include a cue sheet if you want to be prompted with turn alerts and street names etc (otherwise you will only get a breadcrumb map with no cues). Then export the route as a .tcx file. Dump the .tcx file into the "New Files" folder on the garmin after plugging it into your computer.

Then unplug (safely) from computer, turn garmin on. It might take longer to start as it processes the files in the new files folder. Then go to Training->Courses and it should be listed in there, and select "Do Course". When you are doing the course, you get some extra screens available (scroll through using the page button as usual), including a breadcrumb map, and a cue sheet type one with the new few cues in sequence on display.

HTH.

Edit: Yesterday I wanted to take a gps ride I had done, and turn it into a course with cue points. I couldn't get the cue points to be done automatically using websites like ridewithgps. I had to manually add cue points to the route where I needed them before exporting.