Vintage Peerless bike.. help pls?

LoveB

Vintage Peerless bike.. help pls?

Postby LoveB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm

ok, so some of you may remember the malvern star I restored for my missus. Now I have another project on my hands but this time its for me (althuogh admittedly the frame is small for me)

all I really know is its a peerless bike. Can anyone ID what frame it is and what years it came out? all original I believe. still has the pleather feeling chain guard. the lock in the rear. front rear lights with generator etc. has a back pedal brake hub.

only pics of it now. From what Ive seen the paint comes up nice as well as the chrome. If all goes well I might keep the paint as is and probably just try to find a new sticker set or something.

only pics i have at the moment

as a bonus this was the sellers fully restored malvern star super star O_O
Last edited by LoveB on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

WyvernRH

Re: Vintage Peerless bike.. help pls?

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:49 pm

It's a Dutch (or maybe German) bike from, well, any time from the 1950's to the 1980's really.
Gut feel says 50's/60's but others may know better. somewhere in the middle of the price/quality range
I would keep the paint and decals cos IMHO you have somewhere between bucklys and none of getting replacement decals.
Cheers
Richard

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:05 pm

looks sorta Asian and early 1970's

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:22 am

Torana68 wrote:looks sorta Asian and early 1970's
Hmm, Roger may well be right http://peerless.en.alibaba.com/
Look at the brand of the rear light on the mudguard and the make of the rear (backpedal brake?) rear hub. That will give a idea of which continent it started life in. :)

Richard

LoveB

Postby LoveB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:02 am

will check today. the lock on it says made in england lol

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:12 pm

Peerless was also a Sydney brand, as far as I know they made wheel toys, similiar to Cyclops, and some bicycles. I have a very high class Peerless racing frame from the 1930's , but have not been able to find out very much about the company.
I think the Sydney peerless was out of business by the time the subject bike came along.
Warren

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:04 pm

bicyclepassion wrote:Peerless was also a Sydney brand, as far as I know they made wheel toys, similiar to Cyclops, and some bicycles. I have a very high class Peerless racing frame from the 1930's , but have not been able to find out very much about the company.
I think the Sydney peerless was out of business by the time the subject bike came along.
Warren
Must have been a popular name! There was an American Peerless brand, Peerless of Birmingham UK and I am sure there were old Peerless roadsters about when I worked in the Netherlands but I suppose they could well have been export models from the UK.
Cheers
Richard

tedsbikes

Postby tedsbikes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:22 pm

This looks very similar to an Ascot Sport I have, which is now a garden ornament. It bears a "Made in Holland" sticker and looks like the typical Dutch commuter bike - it has the same rack, bike lock and mattress saddle. The Ascot has a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub plus front and rear dual pivot brakes and alloy levers (which look like they may have been made by Weinmann).

Ted