inflating tubulars

pistapistar

inflating tubulars

Postby pistapistar » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi all, setting up my first set of tubulars. Got a set of Dura Ace C-35's, 2012 model. Putting Conti Competitions on them. Will put stan sealant in the tubulars to seal any small punctures, just wondering the best way to get the tyre back up to full inflation in the event of a puncture. Reviews for the mini pumps aren't great. Would a CO2 cartridge with a regulator on it be the go? What about Vittoria pit stop? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

brit_in_oz

Re: inflating tubulars

Postby brit_in_oz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 pm

If you put Stans in you dont need pit stop, they do the same thing, except pit stop is designed to be used after puncture so (apparently) increases the latex inner tube life. Stans also only lasts a few months before going rubbery and losing its function. As for inflation a pump will get you to 80-90psi with a puch so CO2 is certainly easier, but if its just to get you home 90psi will still do the job.

i would say stans / pit stop work maybe 50% o the time, they are good for thorns and the like, but glass and larger holes they wont seal, i tried one around 2mm from a glass shard and i thought it held, but then 5 min later it went down.
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

If you are putting this in as a prevention measure, use Tufo Standard and keep the stans for your mountain bike.

http://www.tufo.com/tufo-tyre-sealant/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

RunForrestRide

Postby RunForrestRide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Would you consider taking a spare tub (pre-glued) and changing it out on the road?

pistapistar

Postby pistapistar » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 pm

RunForrestRide wrote:Would you consider taking a spare tub (pre-glued) and changing it out on the road?
Prefer not to have to carry a spare. Usually ride in a skinsuit. Thanks for the advise everyone. Saved me the expense of a mini pump! Think I'll try the stan sealant and carry some tufo extreme sealant and a CO2 cartridge. Hope this will keep me rolling.