Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

laterstarter

Re: Nebo Glorious - My favourite ride

Postby laterstarter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:33 am

A riding mate introduced a few of us to the Lumpy 100 a couple of weeks ago. Start Toowong, Mt Coot-tha going up frontside, ride across to Waterworks Rd, swing over Settlement Road, left at Samson Rd, over Camp Mtn, cross westside back of Samford, Mt Glorious to the village, down (mostly) Mt Nebo, across Gap creek Road and back to Toowong. About 100km and a great morning out. Early start needed to beat the heat!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

laterstarter wrote:A riding mate introduced a few of us to the Lumpy 100 a couple of weeks ago. Start Toowong, Mt Coot-tha going up frontside, ride across to Waterworks Rd, swing over Settlement Road, left at Samson Rd, over Camp Mtn, cross westside back of Samford, Mt Glorious to the village, down (mostly) Mt Nebo, across Gap creek Road and back to Toowong. About 100km and a great morning out. Early start needed to beat the heat!
Route map?

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm

Here is a course for the Lumpy 100 - (this is the ride leaders course)

It's a good solid strength trainer.

http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=487995" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:31 am

Looks interesting. Might have to give it a go sometime.

CaptainSlow

Postby CaptainSlow » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:06 pm

I've heard that Glorious on Oz day is a thing, though only via unreliable second hand rumours!

Can anyone confirm or otherwise, and fill me in? Is it an organised by any group in particular etc?

Thanks!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes it is true. It's not organised, but there may be some groups.

In the past, there has been some friction with motorist, who regard this road as their private racetrack on public holidays. Mainly because some cyclists overtake three or more deep on the bends. Be very careful.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Purt

Postby Purt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 pm

CaptainSlow wrote:I've heard that Glorious on Oz day is a thing, though only via unreliable second hand rumours!

Can anyone confirm or otherwise, and fill me in? Is it an organised by any group in particular etc?

Thanks!
Can't really remember but I think it was 6:30 at the servo on waterworks/settlement intersection and 6 somewhere in the city (maybe toowong?) Used to be >100 people a few years ago. Don't know what it's like these days.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 pm

laterstarter wrote:A riding mate introduced a few of us to the Lumpy 100
Hmmm...talk to the Lumpy 100 organizer about our next Pottsville start. :)

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Up Nebo Saturday, avoid the first coffee the shop, the owner is not bike friendly, he went mental at us because we sat on his chairs before his shop was open, calling us all c**ts, talk about biting the had that feeds you!

Looks like one of the other cyclists that day gave him a review http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/337/1612057 ... Mount-Nebo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

Thanks for letting us know Merlin...
I have used that coffee shop four times now, including bringing the family up after a big ride... After hearing that you were treated so poorly, I will give them a miss from now on...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:08 am

themerlin wrote:Up Nebo Saturday, avoid the first coffee the shop, the owner is not bike friendly, he went mental at us because we sat on his chairs before his shop was open, calling us all c**ts, talk about biting the had that feeds you!

Looks like one of the other cyclists that day gave him a review http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/337/1612057 ... Mount-Nebo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Other side of the story:
Nugai wrote:Was up there today.
I actually brought this post up.
Sounds like there is more to this than has been said here.
And it is not the first time he has had to have words with cyclists using the surrounds of his cafe as their own personal urinal.
I know what my reaction would be if I found people out in my backyard doing that sort of thing.
Cafe opens at 8am.
Toilets can be found at the National Park 200m or so back toward Brisbane.
Then again he is probably not upset to lose you guys.
Plenty of other cyclists, runners, tourists etc who are respectful for him to serve
Nugai wrote:Sorry but I have been going to that cafe for many years.
Never had an issue with the previous owners or this guy.
Someone must have been doing somethig wrong for him to snap like that.
As I said there are 2 sides to this story.
http://www.roadgrime.com.au/forum/topic ... ost_106798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:34 pm

can't really comment on what happened before, but he was really having ago at the guy just sitting on his chairs not doing anything.

I think people go round the back looking for toilets and when they find them locked pee in the tree.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

If you need to go when you get up there you just haven't been sweating enough :D
Long day's journey into alt-bars

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Can you get up there at the moment???

Traffic reports are saying Nebo/Glorious Rd is closed after a roll over yesterday, but tbh, I reckon that after last weekends deluge the road surface will be in a bad way making the descent difficult.
Lisa

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 pm

marinmomma wrote:Can you get up there at the moment???

Traffic reports are saying Nebo/Glorious Rd is closed after a roll over yesterday, but tbh, I reckon that after last weekends deluge the road surface will be in a bad way making the descent difficult.
1000mm of rain (that's 1 metre of rain) - I'd give it a while

Purt

Postby Purt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Went up this morning all fine and clear to the Goat Track. Not sure if you can get to Glorious or not.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Hmmm... Overdue for a decent climb...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:19 pm

Purt wrote:

Went up this morning all fine and clear to the Goat Track. Not sure if you can get to Glorious or not.
Thanks for the update, won't be going this weekend as we're off to T'bar for the racing but hopefully next weekend!
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:28 pm

I was planning to the other day and mum called to say the Goat Track-Samford was closed off due to water over the road from South Pine. The steep decent was closed due to a landside and debris at the hairpin. Mt Nebo-Mt Glorious was open to light traffic only for necessity. Mt Glorious-Whivenhow-Summerset Road is still closed due to very large amounts of falled trees, power/phone lines, flooded and landslides.

Purt

Postby Purt » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:40 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I was planning to the other day and mum called to say the Goat Track-Samford was closed off due to water over the road from South Pine. The steep decent was closed due to a landside and debris at the hairpin. Mt Nebo-Mt Glorious was open to light traffic only for necessity. Mt Glorious-Whivenhow-Summerset Road is still closed due to very large amounts of falled trees, power/phone lines, flooded and landslides.
Goat Track - Samford is fine. I got a message saying Goat Track to Mt Glorious was open. West side of Mt G is still closed.

Also for those wondering, current condition of the Goat Track:

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:18 am

Probs should have mentioned my info was based on speaking to her on Wednesday night :P

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:52 am

Nice footage Kurt, it doesn't look as bad as what I'd imagined.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Never been up the gt looks flat from that video.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:32 pm

I think one's fitness would determine how "flat" it is...

In my case, it was far from flat... ;-)

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:46 pm

Anymore updates on the condition of the roads ?