Protein Powder

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
toolonglegs

Protein Powder

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Did a search but nothing answered what I want.
When do people take it during the day?... I take about 25g with breakfast, same again after training and same again in the evening to get rid of the cravings.

Diet protein powder to be exact. Not sure what the difference is to be exact... probably a little less fat and a few things added like green tea extract etc. Really that is neither here or there.
Basic breakdown is the same... for 100g I get 72g of protein, 10g carbs of which 3.6g is sugar, fat is 6.4g which is mainly polyunsaturates.
Cost is neither here nor there. Basically it works out about 2,50€ per day for 100g.
Why... cause I feel like I really struggle to get enough in and I am craving protein... eat fish about 3 times a week, eggs 5 or 6 times a week, milk everyday etc etc... if I get 100 grams in a day I am doing good and I have to work at it. So basically I step that up 50-100% without having to hunt around for foods to do it with.

gabrielle260

Re: Protein Powder

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I use powder in my breakfast cereal milk and then i have a protein bar with my morning tea and afternoon coffee.
I also eat 2 - 5 eggs a day.
Since I started doing this my cholesterol has fallen into the low range and my doctor has finally stopped harping on about taking statins!!
Andrew

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 pm

I like my eggs... not sure I could stomach that much though :lol: .

liamb

Postby liamb » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I have about 35g of powder in a fruit /milk smoothie thing at different times each day depending on what I am doing re activity. The powder is a no flavor/sugar/no nothing powder just protein. I try to get as much protein in my diet as possible from fish/nuts/milk/chicken etc but i find I need to extra to keep up.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 pm

The protein powder looks a bit light in the carbs compared to mine. I use 15g carbs/70g protein. same fat, tiny bit more sugars. Serving size is 40g.

I used to have one with more proteins and was putting on too much weight. Switched to this one after speaking with a supplements expert and he got me onto this combo.

Usually have it once a day straight after the training session.

Being a vego, a balanced diet is important to me.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 pm

What's the benefit of having additional protein after a cycle?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:53 pm

I was a full vege as well but now eat fish... But if I get 100 g of protein in a day I am doing well!. Not really counting vege protein as it doesn't satisfy my protein cravings.
Not too worried about powder being low in carbs as I am never short of carbs during the day.
On the after exercise... For me it is a why not?... I have some with breaky and some in the evening ( to cut out the cravings )... So my 3rd time is usually after training cause it goes down easily and is yummy.
Before exercise is a no no for me because I get a bit of gas and stomach cramps if I take it too soon before a ride.

shann

Postby shann » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm vegan and struggle to get my protein levels happening. I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast (shoving in about 4 spoons of powder, vs. the suggested serving size of 2), some nuts during the day, and try to have some tofu or tempeh in my evening meal - this part often goes awry. I'll also have some of that awful processed soy protein stuff (can't think of the name) in a salad at lunch, if I remember. I could happily have a protein shake for dinner, but this tends to weird out my husband who thinks it means I'm 'dieting'.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:20 am

shann wrote:I'm vegan and struggle to get my protein levels happening..............
I'm also Vegan & have no troubles with protein intake at all.

What you must ask yourself is,

Who sets the recommended protein levels in the first place ?

How much do you personally require over any given day ?

What does excess protein do to my system if I overload it ?

Why are 90% of protein supplements made from "Whey Isolate" (milk bi-product) ?

Are you getting enough carbohydrates ? (which is where most of your energy requirements come from)

Do corporations/big business profit immensely from pushing the "protein myth" on the general public ?

Who is recommending "your" protein level/intake ?

Why does the US Department of Agriculture, the World Health Organisation + ALL other International organisations recommend intake levels ranging from 33 to 71 grams a day for adult men & women ?

Why do many rural Asian societies consume 40-60 grams daily & live long healthy lives ?

Why do Western societies consume 100-200 grams daily & are the most unhealthy humans on this earth ?

I have calculated my daily protein intake to be 70-90 grams. I'm 80kg & work a physical job + cycle train/race 5 days/week. I feel good/strong/healthy & energetic.

As a recovery drink after some serious racing/training (4+ hours hard) I use Sunwarrior (Bio-Fermented Raw Sprouted whole grain brown rice protein powder), once or twice a week max.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 am

ZepinAtor wrote:Why does the US Department of Agriculture, the World Health Organisation + ALL other International organisations recommend intake levels ranging from 33 to 71 grams a day for adult men & women ?
Most research I have done seems to quote roughly this...
Recommended Daly Protein Intake
The average adult needs 0.8 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) of body weight per day.
Strength training athletes need about 1.4 to 1.8 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) of body weight per day
Endurance athletes need about 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kilogram (2.2lbs) of body weight per day

So for me that is about 110-130 grams per day... so I can probably cut back what I was thinking of taking a little bit. Maybe just a half portion in the morning and a half after exercise.
Personally I seem to notice it when my protein intake is low... mainly from my muscles been more sore than normal and taking longer to recover after hard days. Seems to come right fairly quickly once I get my protein back up to the quoted levels.
I suppose the most important thing to take from this is everything in moderation!.

chucknitro

Postby chucknitro » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 am

toolonglegs wrote: I suppose the most important thing to take from this is everything in moderation!.
Except questions. We *must* ask ourselves more questions!! :lol:
2018 Canyon Endurance SLX DB 9.0 DI

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:29 am

toolonglegs wrote:
ZepinAtor wrote:Why does the US Department of Agriculture, the World Health Organisation + ALL other International organisations recommend intake levels ranging from 33 to 71 grams a day for adult men & women ?
Most research I have done seems to quote roughly this...
Sorry TLL, but "most" means nothing to me. I don't really want to debate this subject as I'm already on the back foot & behind the eight ball due to "popular beliefs", "recommended levels" blah blah blah :(

Moderation is a cop-out for the weak. There is no such thing as moderation when it comes to a healthy diet. Certain things should just be totally avoided at all costs !!!

chucknitro wrote:
toolonglegs wrote: I suppose the most important thing to take from this is everything in moderation!.
Except questions. We *must* ask ourselves more questions!! :lol:
Don't get me started :roll: :roll: :roll:

We live in one of the highest protein pushing countries on this planet & we are the fattest most unhealthy country to go with it, along with our fat American cousins.

Meat & dairy industries are a massive business in both countries. Maybe ask yourself why that is ?????????$$$$$$$$$$ (not that you're doubting that fact Chucknitro) I just like questions because they make people possibly think like I did one day when I questioned my own poor health & obesity.
Last edited by ZepinAtor on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am

I'll try to cover some of the loose ends in this thread

Primary reason for protein consumption is to repair the muscles fibers that are damaged by the exercise. Generally you will damage more fibers in high intensity than in low intensity and hence the differing levels of recommended quantities. AIS has some recommendations that are specific to cycling.

The body will convert excess protein for fat storage.

Now this is important: The body can only hold onto the protein for around 4 hours. This means that you need to ensure that you have protein with every meal. In simple terms, you get a quality body by eating quality food.

The argument for carbs with the protein is that the carbs aid in the digestion of the protein. Personally I don't worry too much about this.

Now I've been reading lately that when sourcing protein from vegetable sources that you need to combine different vegetables together to get the digestion of the vegetable protein. I'm interesting in hearing from the vegan's on this, sounds like a smart thing to combine the correct vegetables.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:47 am

You don't need to be vegan to match your foods but they would be the pros at it!

Match iron foods with vitamin c foods (eg spinach or tofu with oranges) as just one example. It helps absorb both sets if vitamins and minerals into the body, otherwise the body won't take it in.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:05 pm

To Mikesbytes,

Combining proteins & food groups for "optimum" absorption & overall good health is an old school way of thinking. It has been extensively proven that you can eat/drink any combination of the correct sources of food groups over the period of a day without the worry of not utilizing their true benefit.

In other words you can eat the essential & non-essential proteins in any order or combination that you like as long as you cover all the groups over the course of a day. Combining this with that only confuses things & makes a Vegan or Vegetarian diet look impossible to follow which it is definitely not.

Eating a chunk of meat for its iron/protein content & adding the obligatory side salad is not a healthy way of eating. I personally feel there are huge misconceptions when it comes to protein consumption & I'll be chasing my own tail trying to justify it on a public forum. Sorry for the rant TLL, but this subject really gets under my skin & I should just ignore it & move on. I'll PM you later tonight when home & let you know my true feelings/opinions.

OK I'm going to stop now before I really lose it & cause a scene :evil:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Personally I seem to notice it when my protein intake is low... mainly from my muscles been more sore than normal and taking longer to recover after hard days.
I find the same thing. I don't really pay enough attention to my protein intake but being a vegetarian I should. If I don't have enough it can take a long time to recover from a hard ride or a long ride. I don't care about recommended levels. I care about my legs. If they are sore and can't produce a normal amount of power after adequate rest then I have not been eating enough protein.
<removed by request>

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:29 pm

:lol: You can have a rant Zep, that's what this forum is mainly about anyway :P . Plus I am well aware that most vegans are pretty up to date on their food science. I am sure what you have to say would be interesting.
You know me mate, going off topic is just fine with me!.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:19 pm

toolonglegs wrote::lol: You can have a rant Zep, that's what this forum is mainly about anyway :P . Plus I am well aware that most vegans are pretty up to date on their food science. I am sure what you have to say would be interesting.
You know me mate, going off topic is just fine with me!.
Zep, fully understand your upset. Just like there are bogans who think that bicycles cause traffic jam's there are those who are ignorant of the food choices of others.

We have gone a bit off topic, I'll move back to Protein Powder. It's a concentrated product, while there are other sources the main ones are Soya, Milk and Pea. There are arguments as to the pros and cons of each one. I use to use protein powder, but as my diet improved I used less and less and now only use it occasionally. A situation where I will use it is when I have done a heavy weights session and there is a sizable delay before I eat a meal.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Mike I could critic some of your meals for you if you'd like... I see them often enough on facebook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 pm

Elephants and horses require 10% of Calories as crude protein.
Chimpanzees in their natural environs take in the same as is recommended for homo sapiens ~9.5% of total Calories as crude protein.
These essentially vegan animals could shred any protein popping gym junkie.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 am

toolonglegs wrote:Mike I could critic some of your meals for you if you'd like... I see them often enough on facebook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

There's a few dietary crimes up there :roll:

Despite not being a dietitian I get a hit with questions regularly. I tend to respond with some history of my diet and I talk about rather than making drastic changes, that I gradually migrated my diet from what was typical of the general Australian public to where it is today. In the future I'm sure there will be some further improvements.

AND... Good knowledge leads to good decisions

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:54 am

mikesbytes wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Mike I could critic some of your meals for you if you'd like... I see them often enough on facebook :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Despite not being a dietitian I get a hit with questions regularly. I tend to respond with some history of my diet and I talk about rather than making drastic changes, that I gradually migrated my diet from what was typical of the general Australian public to where it is today. In the future I'm sure there will be some further improvements.

Same goes here, but I just don't put it as eloquently as you Mike.

Back on the protein front, above somewhere in my silly rant I did mention SunWarrior brown rice fermented protein powder which I would use over any whey protein isolate which is a byproduct of milk production.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:09 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:

Same goes here, but I just don't put it as eloquently as you Mike.

Back on the protein front, above somewhere in my silly rant I did mention SunWarrior brown rice fermented protein powder which I would use over any whey protein isolate which is a byproduct of milk production.
At $64.90 a kilogram... ouch! https://www.synergynatural.com/products/sunwarrior.html
<removed by request>

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:28 pm

winstonw wrote:Elephants and horses require 10% of Calories as crude protein.
Chimpanzees in their natural environs take in the same as is recommended for homo sapiens ~9.5% of total Calories as crude protein.
These essentially vegan animals could shred any protein popping gym junkie.
Actually a chimpanzee is far from vegan.

And even if it was not that is still the dumbest argument for veganism ever. I could say 'Well a Great White Shark would shred a chimp'

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:54 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Moderation is a cop-out for the weak. There is no such thing as moderation when it comes to a healthy diet. Certain things should just be totally avoided at all costs !!!

Don't get me started :roll: :roll: :roll:

We live in one of the highest protein pushing countries on this planet & we are the fattest most unhealthy country to go with it, along with our fat American cousins.
I'm just grateful I got my fat arse (and a bag full of free/cheap XL jerseys) out of ZepinAtor's house without a lecture on my obesity ! The transformation you've made is commendable and explains your passion on the subject.

FWIW, I think you're spot on mate. I can't do moderation. I've lost 20kgs since we met and it's been through cutting out the "junk" in my diet. And riding my bike, which is fun.

I don't take any supplements, but am trying to snack on nuts, tuna and fruit to keep on an even keel through the day. My wife would have me vegetarian in a heartbeat, but I can't give up the meat just yet. I am learning a little about portion control though! :oops:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11