eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Wal42

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby Wal42 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:08 am

ldrcycles wrote:I'm even hesitant to post photos of bikes that i know i will be selling in the near future.

I understand where you're coming from Lochie.

I'm currently looking at 2 bikes that I think I'm going to try to buy, basically for the wheelsets (& maybe the transmission on one), then I'll look to pass the frames onto someone else, if I get them I won't be posting photos in the 'Look what you got' page, each I'll probably only want $30-50 for.

I guess if you're doing that they don't sort of fit into the 'pass the frame around' page either, maybe someone should start a little retro trading post page, but then that's what the 'member to member' page is for, not sure if I'm the only one, but I rarely go to that page, trolling through 50-100 ads about modern gear to find one retro part, not really sure it's worth the effort.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am

henri got told off because the forum's pretty clear on not advertising your own ebay ads. i've done it myself and i got in trouble from mr Bill too.
if you want to list on ebay, great. if you want to list your stuff in the marketplace, great. if you want to advertise your ebay ads in the retro thread, you'll attract attention from the mods.
be thankful christopher isn't asking for membership fees to run the site. considering how much stuff gets sold on here per month, 1% of sales would certainly help pay for hosting and maintenance. it's a free service, abide by the rules.
wal: there's a frame swap thread - if you tell ppl what you think your frame is worth, i don't think there's going to be a problem.
henri: put an ad in the marketplace with a price, then link to your ebay ad. it's a silly workaround, but one which doesn't seem to contravene any rules.
not rocket science, kids..

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:15 am

Last edited by Clydesdale Scot on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

munga

Postby munga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:20 am

i stand corrected.

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:59 pm

Here's a few I found when I had a look up the tree,

This looks like a Double X with Shimano 600, maybe? Could be worth a look.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/springfi ... 1012569827

How about this beauty, any money thats how the numbskull rode it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/ ... 1012432107

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 pm

peachy wrote:
How about this beauty, any money thats how the numbskull rode it.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ipswich/ ... 1012432107
That is one of the ugliest things I've seen on 2 wheels.

Ferrovelo

Postby Ferrovelo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 pm

But there are other contenders.
What do you think, bargain?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kooragan ... 1012629234

Make sure you check out his other items too.

peachy

Postby peachy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:44 pm

What a bargain! Especially with all the champion ships he's won with it :P

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:28 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:not rocket science, but the rules are clear on this:
- No Ebay sales This is a market place and not a place to promote ebay auctions.
True, but we aren't total Godwins with this. If you've had an item up for a while without a sale then a discreet mention with link will often be overlooked.
The definition of "a while" and "discreet" is flexible and depends on how the mods perceive the members contribution to the forum in general.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

drubie

Postby drubie » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:42 am

Rob74 wrote:Its a Double Dunga

Rob
If I was in Sydney i'd buy them just to cut them up :lol:
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

HLC

Postby HLC » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:
Dan wrote:It's not allowed in the marketplace thread - why would it be any different here?

Correct.

No response... might have to go HK...
Can't believe the hype and excitement over my post. I posted a link in the retro parts ebay thread. Who cares whether they are my wheels or not? I'm sure i'm not the first person to do that. It seems that my post is still there too, quoted several times ha. Ridiculous. I wouldn't care if someone else posted up something they were selling. Especially if it was something I was chasing. This is silly.

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:30 am

drubie wrote:
Rob74 wrote:Its a Double Dunga

Rob
If I was in Sydney i'd buy them just to cut them up :lol:
that would be a waste of good cut off discs :lol: :lol:
Phil

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:06 pm

HLC wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
Dan wrote:It's not allowed in the marketplace thread - why would it be any different here?

Correct.

Can't believe the hype and excitement over my post. I posted a link in the retro parts ebay thread. Who cares whether they are my wheels or not? I'm sure i'm not the first person to do that. It seems that my post is still there too, quoted several times ha. Ridiculous. I wouldn't care if someone else posted up something they were selling. Especially if it was something I was chasing. This is silly.
If you don't like the way things are done here, the door is over there :arrow:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:06 pm

HLC wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:

Correct.

I'm hearing u HLC. All u did was mention that there's a nice set of wheels on eBay & provided a link. Wether they're ur's or not shouldn't even matter. It's just that there are too many wingers (on EVERY forum, not just this one) that thrive on jumping at any opportunity to have a cry about breaking forum rules when in the real world I'm sure they're all guilty of breaking some sort of rule (& probably still are)... & it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one or more of these wingers place a bid or even win ur wheels, so don't stress mate, some mother's do have'em.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:30 pm

240ZR wrote:
I'm hearing u HLC.
Well you might be hearing HLC but not listening to the many others. My guess is that many are like me who feel relentless insidious commercial pressure in their email and other Internet usage, and would prefer to pass on that when taking part in this forum. It's a very open club, but one with the usual behavioral expectations. I think it only polite for another member to state overtly when he stands to make money from me and the other members.

munga

Postby munga » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

there's rules for everything - you might not like them, or agree with them, but they're there. get over yourselves.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:33 pm

With all the above hope I'm legal here, the item is sold, & an unusual ebay experience.

I bought a pair of Delta brakes from an old Tassy racer, but part of the deal was he wanted to sell his other old bits as well.

One item was a relatively old "Brooks Flyer" saddle that had not been used much. I cleaned the metal gave it many treatments of neatsfoot oil from underneath & mounted it on the newly restored Pinny.
One lap around the block was enough, this 30yo saddle will not conform to my b*m without a thousand miles.
So I sold it on ebay $78.00 + post & its off to ITALY!!!!

You can land in Aus a B17 narrow for $100.00 NEW. So why would someone in Italy buy an old Brooks from AUS for that money ???, dont give up on those old parts!!
Old Brooks SOLD
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Mustang wrote:
You can land in Aus a B17 narrow for $100.00 NEW. So why would someone in Italy buy an old Brooks from AUS for that money ???, dont give up on those old parts!!
Old Brooks SOLD
A B17 narrow is not a Champion Flyer.

The flyer hasn't been available for 40 years.

The flyer would have had thicker, more durable leather. The rivets are copper and the chassis is chrome plated. The Narrow uses cheap steel rivets and enameled black chassis.

The flyer is also narrower than the B17 narrow. Not as narrow as a Champion Sprinter though. It was intended more as a track saddle.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:00 am

Speaking of old brooks saddles, here's one atop a very interesting specimen in Ballarat

I'm digging the aero headtube and the seat bolt arrangement.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:32 am

grantw wrote:Speaking of old brooks saddles, here's one atop a very interesting specimen in Ballarat

I'm digging the aero headtube and the seat bolt arrangement.
The head tube looks to have been shaped as a hex tube, with some sort of integration at the bottom. Maybe it's just the photos, but the head tube also looks quite steep.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 am

The head tube looks to have been shaped as a hex tube, with some sort of integration at the bottom. Maybe it's just the photos, but the head tube also looks quite steep.[/quote]

Im liking it :) but that headtube looks a little too steep not to be bent...... tempted , but the pick up only doesnt make it easy :(

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:42 am

How far is Ballarat from Bright :wink:

Just checked, too far :(

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:55 am

wqlava1 wrote:
240ZR wrote:
I'm hearing u HLC.
Well you might be hearing HLC but not listening to the many others. My guess is that many are like me who feel relentless insidious commercial pressure in their email and other Internet usage, and would prefer to pass on that when taking part in this forum. It's a very open club, but one with the usual behavioral expectations. I think it only polite for another member to state overtly when he stands to make money from me and the other members.
OMGosh!!! I see this misguided mentality from alot of people here in Australia, & I mean alot! so ur not alone wqlava. There's millions of people with the same attitude of caring more about other peoples pockets than they are of their own. These ppl will gladly hand over money to a stranger selling an item that they want but if it's someone they know (or a forum member), then no way! "they're not going to make money out of me"
Let me ask this... so if a good friend of ur's was a manager or owner of Woolie's, Coles, Macca's or even the servo down the road, u would not go to their place of business simply because they will be making money out of u? I think this impolite because if u no someone or have a friend selling something u need or want, then u shud support them & not wish them ill wealth... & as for u munga, no disrespect mate but this has to be said. I no rules are rules but how different would it be if a member forwarded me a link of the stuff they're selling on eBay & another member promoted the add on here? Is there a rule against this or are the mods now going to make this a new rule too & if so, how are they going to police it??? please! if this is how naive ppl on this forum are concerning this rule, then I think the mods shud get their heads together & come up with a better ruling unless they're ok with the above scenario. It's not rocket science ppl, it's common sense!

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:51 pm

Im liking it :) but that headtube looks a little too steep not to be bent...... tempted , but the pick up only doesnt make it easy :(
I think it actually is just a very steep HT - unusual for vintage Australian track bikes but you'd probably see some bowing (or at least bulging) in the TT and/or DT if it was bent.