Motor Neurone Disease sufferer Ian Davis seeking help

Aushiker

Motor Neurone Disease sufferer Ian Davis seeking help

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:18 pm

In September last year, Dr Ian Davis learned he would be facing the biggest challenge of his life - a diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease....He has now joined forces with fellow MND sufferer, Scott Sullivan, to ride one million metres - 1000 kilometres - in tandem to raise money and awareness about the disease, but he needs your help first....

Davis and Sullivan require bike a tandem bike that allows Davis to use his arms and Sullivan to use his legs. "Scott's motor neurone disease has affected his arms and mine is in my legs so we wouldn't be able to ride a bike independently ourselves. But if you put two of us together we are like one whole man who can power a bike," Davis told Justin Smith. "What we are looking for is a recumbent tandem bike with a hand steering mechanism and hand cycle for me and in the back a leg cycle for Scott to power the vehicle with his legs."

More details at 3AW693 News Talk.

Andrew

Roinik

Re: Motor Neurone Disease sufferer Ian Davis seeking help

Postby Roinik » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:47 am

You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16 am

Roinik wrote:Would something like this do? http://www.speedy.de/de/handbikes/handb ... y-teamwork
It does look like what he is seeking ... care to donate one? :)

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:00 am

Trike looks similar to a Greenspeed Anura. I know they couple them together like that to make a tandem. Greenspeed I think have done or can do hand trikes.
It might be worth talking to Greenspeed about it. I'll bet they could come up with something.

John

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:38 am

Aushiker wrote:It does look like what he is seeking ... care to donate one? :)
I could put 10c in if we had a whip around.
John Lewis wrote:Trike looks similar to a Greenspeed Anura. I know they couple them together like that to make a tandem. Greenspeed I think have done or can do hand trikes.
It might be worth talking to Greenspeed about it. I'll bet they could come up with something
Maybe Greenspeed could come up with something similar, it's worth a try to keep it local. The beautiful thing about the Speedy (and a couple of alternatives) is that the person uses their own wheelchair, thus allowing the user to go to the cafe or toilet when out on the road. Additionally, Speedy make a chair called the Vamos which allows the wheelbase of the chair to be shortened and lengthened at will.

A friend of mine is going to be working on his hand trike to modify the rear wheels and stand to allow him to cart his chair around. He wants to use the chair wheels on the rear of the hand trike so that he can easily detach the wheels when he stops somewhere. I've suggested he talks to Greenspeed to see how they implement their disc brake hubs with the removable wheel.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

A Greenspeed Tadpole trike would be a better bet, but that would be at least a $10,000 "donation".
Arm power front and leg rear.
Not that Greenspeed is very active locally at the moment anyhow.
Might be a oncer for these guys to ride anyway hence request.