Dodgey Encounter North of Murdoch Station

cant_stop

Dodgey Encounter North of Murdoch Station

Postby cant_stop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:02 am

Just thought I would let everyone know about a strange encounter I had tonight. Riding just north of Murdoch station at about 8.30 I noticed a black blob on the side of the path up ahead. As I got closer I saw that it was a middle aged male dressed in all black laying on the ground, I slowed down to see if he was alright. He then jumped up and lurched at me so I sprinted off and called the police, I was pretty worried he may have been waiting for someone to walk past and then who knows..

Apparently I was slightly rattled after the fact as at bull creek station I was unfortunate enough to have a clip stack :/ keep a look out guys and stay safe!

Matt

outnabike

Re: Dodgey Encounter North of Murdoch Station

Postby outnabike » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:17 am

Hi cant_stop,
You did well to get around him I would say. Good Idea to call the police. It makes one realize that carrying a phone is a good idea as well,I keep forgetting to take mine on the bike.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Karati

Postby Karati » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Scary stuff!! Hopefully he took off after that! Well done calling the cops.

I always carry a phone with me on the bike. Normally in case i need to call the better half to come get me after falling off.

cant_stop

Postby cant_stop » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:40 pm

Haha yep or if you get more punctures than you have tubes!

rcmkII

Postby rcmkII » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:44 pm

cant_stop wrote:Haha yep or if you get more punctures than you have tubes!

That's why I filled the kids' and the wife's bike tubes with Slime sealant. Even if it just slows the puncture, at least they can still move faster than a creep on foot.
Riding and writing my way to health and happiness.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:25 am

cant_stop wrote:Haha yep or if you get more punctures than you have tubes!

Been there done that too! :oops:

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm

Sounds like a Mad Max apocalypse approaching.
I've had an incident like this while on motorcycle on the road at ~2am back in the day, past the old ECU Churchlands when that was still around on Pearson Drive with Floreat Lakes on the left/east.
Woman laying on the road, not jumping up at me but I slowed in confusion and she sat up and looked a couple pills short of a prescription, got up and off the road so I didn't feel the Samaritan need to stop to see if anyone might jump out from out of sight.

Your incident is one odd positive for obscenely bright lights and Zound air horns that dazzle and make difficult the speed/distance timing for any would be freaks pulling these stunts. James Bond cycling.

smerm07

Postby smerm07 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm

Had a similar situation happen between the graham farmer freeway and Belmont race course. A man sitting on the floor in the middle of the path.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:43 pm

smerm07 wrote:Had a similar situation happen between the graham farmer freeway and Belmont race course. A man sitting on the floor in the middle of the path.
there is a homeless bloke who is often under the Windan Bridge in that area - can't say i've ever had an issue with him, be it running or riding, at any time of the day / night.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

^ Ditto. I really hate those right-angle bends though - you'd think they could have spent a little bit extra and made gentle s-bends. It's not like the freeway was a cheap and nasty job!

wexford

Postby wexford » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Yep, I see him under Windan on my commute, sometimes each way. I imagine it'd be a bit startling at night!
He's never done more than glance up and make eye contact and nod like any regular fellow.

Karati

Postby Karati » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm

He sometimes mutters something to me but n idea what. He appears totally harmless though i'd say