Upper Race Bearing Damage on New Bike

Snagdog

Upper Race Bearing Damage on New Bike

Postby Snagdog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:33 pm

I was hoping to get some people's thoughts on my situation

I have recently purchased a 2012 Cube Agree Pro and everything has been great except for aa occasionan clicking sound sound. I originally thought it was the rear brake cable in the top tube and I told the guys when I took the bike in for it's first service. After the service the mechanic said he couldnt hear anything but to bring it back in if I hear it again or it's bothering me.

Anyways I happen to be riding with a guy from another bike shop and I mention to him if he would happen to see if he might know what this noise is. He takes a quick look and says it's my headset and to bring the bike in and he'll fix it.

So I take the bike in and he proceeds to take the headset apart to inspect when he finds upper head race bearing damage on the frame. There seems to be damage to the frame where the race bearing sits. About 1/4 of the part of the frame where the bearing sits has broken / chipped off.

So I take the bike back to the orignal shop of purchase and explain whats happened;

- They did first service and couldn't identify the problem
- other mechanic was trying to adjust to fix and showed me the damage

They take the headset apart and see the damage. They take photos and say that they'll send them to the rep and give me a call......

I of the guys at the purchase shop was hinting that it isnt a problem and I shouldn't worry about it. I said I was worried about it and if it gets worse / warranty runs out etcc...

Any thoughts would be appreciated !!!!!!

Saturnstarzz

Re: Upper Race Bearing Damage on New Bike

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Short answer,

If its a new bike and upper head race the frame isnt physcially damaged ( been bashed with a hammer) then it should be a warranty claim. If the rep knocks back the claim, I'd ask the LBS to replace the frame as it could have happened when the bike was assembled . Sounds like the headset was installed wrongly /too tightly.

IS the frame carbon or aluminum either way Break/Chips can turn into a crack. If it was my bike ( I wouldn't ride it ) last thing you'd want is a front end failure .

Post some pics if you can.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Photo's would be helpful.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Snagdog

Postby Snagdog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I didn't get photos but the shop owner did to send to the rep. I I'll ask him to send them to me. It's basically the part of the frame / seat where the top race bearing sits.

The Frame is Carbon Fibre

The shop owner has been helpful so far hopefully we can get it sorted and I'm thinking a new replacement frame is prob inorder

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Sounds like something wan't flush in there, you would've noticed if it was overtightened more than likely. This would explain why an experienced mechanic would assemble and not notice. I'm guessing the frame inserts themselves were warped ( manufacture ) or a shard of carbon/grit hiding inside ( unlikely).

Another explanation is that alot of factories/shops hang the frames through that section...an accidental tug whilst hung could have damaged it. Is it on the top ( front ) of the headset by any chance?

Personally, I wouldn't have told them I had a third party looked at it as it gives them a get out clause, if they are the squirm out of honoring our obligations type.

Glad you found it now rather than down the track or worse, down the pavement!

Snagdog

Postby Snagdog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Bike shop got in contact with cube rep and they have agreed to replace the frame

The only issue is I have to wait for it to get organised / arrive from Cube's HQ

I can live with that..... Good result and cube should be commended