Cycling Australia

DownUnder81

Cycling Australia

Postby DownUnder81 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 pm

So, I am planning a new cycle tour ... this time around Australia, following the Harvest Trail.

The First Leg - Tasmania to the Snowies:
My bike and my touring gear that I used to cycle around Europe is being shipped from Poland. In the mean time, I want to start fruit picking in the north of Tasmania from the first week of January, 2013. When my bike arrives, hopefully around March 2013, I hope to begin touring Tasmania, cycling from the north of the island to the south, either via the east or west coasts. When I reach the south, I would like to work another two months doing fruit picking before continuing the cycle journey back north to Devonport along the other side of the island to catch the Spirit of Tasmania to Melbourne. From here I want to cycle along the eastern regions of Victoria (Gunai or Gippsland) to reach the snowies for winter 2013 - hopefully to work over the winter.

The Second Leg - The Murray to Adelaide:
From around September or October, 2013 to March or April, 2014.

The Third Leg - The Red Centre to Darwin:
April, 2014 to September, 2014.

Essentially, I want to find people interested in doing any parts of my journey with me or who can give me advice in finding work along the Harvest Trail.

Although my focus is harvest work, I am actively looking for short-term contract roles working in the detention centres around Australia to teach English or to work with health and fitness in these centres. Furthermore, I hope to work in the snow in 2013. Finally, along the way I hope to undergo volunteer or paid work with linguistics and with Indigenous Australian language centres.

If you are keen or know someone who might me, let me know - i.e. send me a message!!!

Nait

DownUnder81

Re: Cycling Australia

Postby DownUnder81 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

So my plans, like any good bike trip, are changing. Nothing is set in concrete, but the dates in my original post probably will not be followed. I am still waiting for my bike to come from Poland, which realistically could be a long, long, time. Either way, I have begun fruit picking at Deloraine in Tasmania, primarily doing strawberries. I'd hope to do this until the end of January. So, if anyone knows of any farms (plant or animal), which are looking for farmhands or fruit pickers, could a reply be posted for me with contact details or a link?

My stay in Tasmania probably will now be for a year. I'd like to spend a week or fortnight at a time on both Cape Barren Island and Flinders Island; hike (preferably nude) the great south-west; and to cycle a month around Tassie. In the nine months between, I want to work on farms and hopefully get some work near the snow for the coming winter.

Anyway, if there are any interested persons, who want to team up for a cycle adventure in Tassie, to go for a (nude?) hike around the great south-west of Tassie, or like to go pruitpicking together at some point, let me know by posting a reply.

Nait

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

DownUnder81 wrote:hike (preferably nude) the great south-west;
:shock:

You may find that you have some 'issues' with other hikers on the South Coast Track :oops: ! Not to mention 'interesting' entanglements with the south-west's famous horizontal scrub.

Horizontal's scratches
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 am

And don't forget the leeches when hiking nude!

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi Nait,
hope your enjoying your stay in Tassie.
Keeping away from the fires we hope.
Keep us up to date on your adventures
If you make it over to WA, get in contact with Polishbiker who knows where the best Polish bakeries are in Perth.
He shared some of their fare last I saw him and I was very impressed, although my waistline wasnt. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Mike Ayling wrote:And don't forget the leeches when hiking nude!
And March Flies, Mosquitos and Ticks. Also the south-west is a pretty cool and wet place. Hope you've got a good caveman hair covering a'happening!

In terms of work if you don't already know about it http://www.wwoof.com.au/ is worth looking at as at least you'll get fed, watered and a roof over your head if you don't have anything financial on the go. Also south of Hobart in the Huon Valley from now until the end of May there's a string of cherry (almost finished), stone fruit, grapes and apple picking which should last up until June. Positions are sometimes advertised on Gumtree, or it's often worth going through the backpacker hostel sites as they frequently know about such things.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:30 pm

rangersac wrote:
Mike Ayling wrote:And don't forget the leeches when hiking nude!
And March Flies, Mosquitos and Ticks. Also the south-west is a pretty cool and wet place.
....and that's in Summer!!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

redned

Postby redned » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Are you fruit-picking nude as well?