Advise on punctured tyre

aammiitt

Advise on punctured tyre

Postby aammiitt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi,

Yesterday, I took my bike for first time on M7 cycleway and got a puncture...Really bad luck :cry:

I like to know if this puncture requires a change in tube and tyre both or only tube.

Tyres: Schwalbe Lugano 700x23c

Please advise.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/P ... directlink

Cheers,
Amit

GreyhoundCycle

Re: Advise on punctured tyre

Postby GreyhoundCycle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:01 pm

Generally a typical puncher involving sharp items penetrate the tyre and tube would only require tube repair or replacement (depend on severity and preference). No need to replace the tyre.

Your photo from the link above appears to be a bit of cut on the tyre. If that area of tyre does not bulge or split exposing deeper layers of the tyre after inflation to working pressure, I will say it is safe to continue using it. Put a new tyre on if you don't feel safe. Tyres are relatively cheap when purchasing from major online retailers. I tend to change my tyres when puncher frequency picks up after 3-4000km.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 pm

You can also use Supa Glue or Shoe Goo in that cut. My tyres have a few cuts like that and they are fine. Different if it's through the casing.

aammiitt

Postby aammiitt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks guys....I will try to use some super glue on the tyre and replace the tube....

Hopefully that sets me rolling :lol:

Cheers,
Amit

RunForrestRide

Postby RunForrestRide » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

I find Shoo Goo better as it stays rubbery, where as super glue can become brittle.

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm

RunForrestRide wrote:I find Shoo Goo better as it stays rubbery, where as super glue can become brittle.
I agree with this... I applied superglue to a bunch of cuts including sidewalls which later became quite brittle and started flaking. Just dont do it. If you must apply glue, dab some shoo goo onto it.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 pm

aammiitt wrote:Hi,

Yesterday, I took my bike for first time on M7 cycleway and got a puncture...Really bad luck :cry:
Nah, not bad luck - it's just school holidays. Means bored little pre-driving teenage half-wits getting their
rocks off by smashing bottles on the cycleway.

Two riding buddies got flats on our regular weekly ride, last time anyone got a flat was previous
school holidays. Glass in both cases.

As for the cut mark, my vote is for the shoe-goo - smear some on the inside (well smoothed) as
well as filling it from the outside.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
RunForrestRide wrote:I find Shoo Goo better as it stays rubbery, where as super glue can become brittle.
I agree with this... I applied superglue to a bunch of cuts including sidewalls which later became quite brittle and started flaking. Just dont do it. If you must apply glue, dab some shoo goo onto it.
I've been testing shoo goo after a number of recomendations on here, it really does work brilliantly. I'm using a set of tyres that I was going to toss out due to cuts, I'll probably get another couple of thousand kms out of them.

Super glue is hopeless, gone in a short period of time and some users have reported that the hard glue actually punctured their tube - probably better off with nothing in that case.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"