Sometimes
9%
Never
7%
Would if I could
0%

Total votes: 259
Lukeyboy

Re: Show of hands - who cycles in lycra?

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:57 pm

You should look into the new Team Sky bibs by Rapha..... :lol: :lol:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:26 pm

elantra wrote:Black is not very flattering.
I thought it was the most flattering color there is.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:33 pm

elStado wrote:
DavidS wrote: Munga, I suppose I am lycra neutral. I consider lycra to be a fashion crime but I can see the practicality of it and also take the view that if people want to commit fashion crimes they are well within their rights to do so. That said, lycra is a practical and not fashion item, so what it looks like is actually not part of the design brief. I have now bought one cycling jersey and will get a few more, but lycra shorts will never grace my bike, each to their own.

DS
It really depends on one's body 'shape' and proportions. I've seen a few people around Perth who look really good in cycling kit; fit, strong, athletic and pro. Seeing some of these cyclists actually makes me want to get a roadie and wear kit as well some days. Wearing looser fitting civvies/touring kit and riding a heavy, slow touring bike everywhere is all well and good but does get annoying sometimes.

However I've also seen more than enough MAPILs (middle aged people in lycra) with big bellys/phat behinds wearing tight cycle kit and I find it pretty gross.
Not everyone is thin . I generally avoid commenting on stuff like that because it isn't nice to do so. At least they are giving it a go. I'm almost there with my weight loss - 64kg and just a little bit more working out to go before I do the gear justice. The speed was starting to come good too.

For colourful, you could go the old Mapei team kit if you wanted!! But that's against the rules apparently. ;)

Otherwise, some pristine white HTC Highroad gear perhaps! (Don't get it wet though). :oops:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 pm

I dunno what the issue with black is :?

So much better than some of the options available from last century. I mean, black with orange leopard skin side panels? Purple fish scale?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Am I the only one who is fascinated by all this? 10pages of talking about what clothes you and other people wear. Has BNA been hacked by Dolly? :P
Apparently some men don't like other men wearing tight fitting clothes. A bit of good old fashioned homophobia is my only guess why they feel that way.
Then some people don't want to see anyone in tight fitting clothes. Because you know, tight clothes = prostitute.
Plus we have the group who don't want fat people wearing tight clothes. Because it offends them. Well I'd rather see a fatty on a bike in team kit than a fatty stuffing its face in trackies and a massive tshirt.

For the poll I picked mostly. Just over 10k km last year and roughly 3.5k was non lycra. If you counted it per ride it would swing a fair way towards not lycra just because they are usually shorter rides. Like I might ride 12 times a week and 2 of those in lycra. Should anyone give a rats whatsit about what I just wrote? NO :lol:

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:23 am

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Only a problem because Homer does not want to acknowledge his hidden homo-eroticism :mrgreen:

*Homeroticism* :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:24 pm

One way that somebody could interpret the results of this poll is that 58% of people surveyed NEVER use a bicycle for its most practical, most useful purpose. That is for quick, easy transport for shorter distances.
(though in a bid to avoid "You hate Lycra" statements :roll: )....
Another way that it could be interpreted is 58% of people use the bicycle in a manner that is likely to lead to the greatest fitness benefits. :wink:

But if you want to get more people on bikes the former seems to be the better basis to address the problem.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Baldy wrote:Am I the only one who is fascinated by all this? 10pages of talking about what clothes you and other people wear. Has BNA been hacked by Dolly? :P
Apparently some men don't like other men wearing tight fitting clothes. A bit of good old fashioned homophobia is my only guess why they feel that way.
Then some people don't want to see anyone in tight fitting clothes. Because you know, tight clothes = prostitute.
Plus we have the group who don't want fat people wearing tight clothes. Because it offends them. Well I'd rather see a fatty on a bike in team kit than a fatty stuffing its face in trackies and a massive tshirt.

For the poll I picked mostly. Just over 10k km last year and roughly 3.5k was non lycra. If you counted it per ride it would swing a fair way towards not lycra just because they are usually shorter rides. Like I might ride 12 times a week and 2 of those in lycra. Should anyone give a rats whatsit about what I just wrote? NO :lol:
Quite so Baldy - but you did look tres chic in tweed :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm

human909 wrote:One way that somebody could interpret the results of this poll is that 58% of people surveyed NEVER use a bicycle for its most practical, most useful purpose. That is for quick, easy transport for shorter distances.
(though in a bid to avoid "You hate Lycra" statements :roll: )....
Another way that it could be interpreted is 58% of people use the bicycle in a manner that is likely to lead to the greatest fitness benefits. :wink:

But if you want to get more people on bikes the former seems to be the better basis to address the problem.
But the way most of us would interpret the result is that, as I speculated in another thread, around 90% of the BNA forum members who have responded wear lycra cycle clothing at least some of the time, and do not share your anti-lycra predjudices.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 pm

RonK wrote:But the way most of us would interpret the result is that, as I speculated in another thread, around 90% of the BNA forum members who have responded wear lycra cycle clothing at least some of the time, and do not share your anti-lycra predjudices.
+1
and good thread Ron.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:58 pm

elStado wrote:However I've also seen more than enough MAPILs (middle aged people in lycra) with big bellys/phat behinds wearing tight cycle kit and I find it pretty gross.
In those cases of an ample behind it is not wise to select GIANT brand cycling kit :wink:
<removed by request>

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Interesting responses in this thread.

I hold no prejudice or judgment to others and what they wear. If you feel comfortable wearing a 3 piece suit, a clown costume or budgie smugglers on a bike because you dont want to conform to what everyone else is wearing, the more power to ya. Good for you.

But for me, I wear lycra cycling stuff and am proud to and its more comfortable, nor do I care what names get thrown my way because of it. At first I was apprehensive, but now its just so normal for me, that I do not give it a second thought. My mates gave me some crap to start with, and still do from time to time, but I view it as standard attire, and I know they are still ignorant to the benefits.

Whose to know if you walk into a shopping centre in your kit that you've done 10km or 100km? People just look at you and think, ok your a cyclist, whatever, moving on. Not 'what a knob, he/she lives 2 mins from me, why are they wearing lycra on a bike?' It's rarely even thought about, and a non issue unless you make it one. If it is brought up among some of your ignorant peers who dont ride, its usually due to their own insecurities. Why should their problems deter you from how you ride? It's pointless.

I find too many people get too caught up in the 'what other people might be thinking' attitude, that they would prefer to be apprehensive due to perceived negative reactions, than just wear what they wear due to comfort and be done with it. At the end of the day, it's not like you are breaking a cycling law or riding indecently by wearing lycra. You'll be judged by those who have no idea and 'think' they are the style police, but other than that, WGAF. Lycra clothing was made for a purpose and its suits that purpose well. So wear it and be proud of it.

*puts flame suit on*
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:23 pm

rpmspinman wrote:Interesting responses in this thread.

I hold no prejudice or judgment to others and what they wear. If you feel comfortable wearing a 3 piece suit, a clown costume or budgie smugglers on a bike because you dont want to conform to what everyone else is wearing, the more power to ya. Good for you.

But for me, I wear lycra cycling stuff and am proud to and its more comfortable, nor do I care what names get thrown my way because of it. At first I was apprehensive, but now its just so normal for me, that I do not give it a second thought. My mates gave me some crap to start with, and still do from time to time, but I view it as standard attire, and I know they are still ignorant to the benefits.

Whose to know if you walk into a shopping centre in your kit that you've done 10km or 100km? People just look at you and think, ok your a cyclist, whatever, moving on. Not 'what a knob, he/she lives 2 mins from me, why are they wearing lycra on a bike?' It's rarely even thought about, and a non issue unless you make it one. If it is brought up among some of your ignorant peers who dont ride, its usually due to their own insecurities. Why should their problems deter you from how you ride? It's pointless.

I find too many people get too caught up in the 'what other people might be thinking' attitude, that they would prefer to be apprehensive due to perceived negative reactions, than just wear what they wear due to comfort and be done with it. At the end of the day, it's not like you are breaking a cycling law or riding indecently by wearing lycra. You'll be judged by those who have no idea and 'think' they are the style police, but other than that, WGAF. Lycra clothing was made for a purpose and its suits that purpose well. So wear it and be proud of it.

*puts flame suit on*
+1

However I could say almost exactly the same thing and substitute street clothing for Lycra. And it would equally have relevance for other people.

For example, a good friend of mine, a very fit man who rides a bike almost exclusively - no racer but does plenty of hard rides in the mountains, rides and tours in long trousers and long sleeved shirt. His choice and it makes him no less of a cyclist, though some on here would brand him a person on a BSO. Not a BSO really though - he built the frame himself.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Why would you be proud to wear lycra?... it's just a type of fabric. Maybe if it's your team kit etc you can have pride in your colours.
People who use their bike to go to the shops or to school quite possibly aren't cycling fanatics like everyone on this forum so no wonder the results are skewed.
Come to spend time in a cycling forum you have to be pretty keen on cycling.
Of the few dozen people I have seen on bikes this morning ( 9 am now )... none are in lycra, they are just going to school, getting the paper, croissants and baguettes and doing chores... a big number of them are old ladies, the fact that it is below zero and snowing doesn't bother them.
The chances of a single one of them coming on to a cycling forum to vote whether they wear lycra or not is ZERO.
So personally I would prefer the " who gives a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! option " but it's not there.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

AUbicycles wrote:Show of hands, who goes grocery shopping in Lycra?
I have gone into the supermarket in lycra at the end of the ride all the time. Even bring my bike in.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm

jcjordan wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:Show of hands, who goes grocery shopping in Lycra?
I have gone into the supermarket in lycra at the end of the ride all the time. Even bring my bike in.
I am glad to hear, cause without the bike you are just another creep guy :D

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:27 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Why would you be proud to wear lycra?... it's just a type of fabric. Maybe if it's your team kit etc you can have pride in your colours.
That's what I was alluding to. I didnt mean walk into a shop wearing a head to toe Zentai/Morph suit, but actually wearing your fave team kit and colors with pride. The fact that it's made from lycra is irrelevant, you are right.

Example: If all the pro's were wearing cotton onesies on their bikes because it provided some benefit, Im sure that would be the material/style of choice for enthusiasts no doubt, just the color being the only variation.

I think it boils down to unless its breaking some actual law of indecent exposure, (not the word of the one eyed fashion mafia) no one deserves to be criticized for wearing what they want if it feels comfortable to them.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I set this poll up to discover the forum members preferences in cycle clothing - lycra, or non-lycra.

It has nothing to do with what anybody's sister, neighbour, workmate, or the lady down at the corner shop prefer to wear (unless they do happen to be forum members).

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:18 pm

Then basically apart from trying to bait other members, it was a waste of time because any idiot could of told you what the bias is on this forum.

Insert return spout here please...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:24 pm

You know that, I know that, but some just need to have it spelled out for them...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Why?

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:43 pm

RonK wrote:You know that, I know that, but some just need to have it spelled out for them...

Hi "RonK",
Are you saying this was just a troll, for the self gratification of the forums Lycra inclined wearers? I must say I am surprised.
My first thoughts were that this type of a question on a forum should be more broadly based. Seeing the videos of the cyclists in other countries, it seems the average cyclist does not bother with the benefits of Lycra.
But your words are just an admission that the answer was secondary to actually, your education of any one who may not wear Lycra?

Ron you may be a good cyclist, but you have shown that you are certainly not a good person.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Nah, I am sure Ron is actually a rather nice person... some ( including me ) probably get worked up over certain posts... sorry I vented.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Read back through the whole thread and you will find the reason for its existence explained therein.
I thought the thread was a good idea and said what needed to be said.
Dogs are the best people :wink: