New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Aushiker

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:39 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:No copy but here's the new address courtesy of B&M http://www.bumm.de/fileadmin/user_uploa ... nglish.pdf

The file had been renamed. They have other downloads at http://www.bumm.de/service/download/katalog.html.
Thanks.
Andrew

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I've just ordered the Luxos U (the version with a remote switch for high beam) from Rose Versand, they won't get it into stock until week 6/2013. There was a sale on so I jumped in and pre-ordered, price was 135 Euros after VAT removed. At this time of year expect other sales.

Really looking forward to having a headlight with high beam, my travels take me through roads loaded with roos and bogans.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:I've just ordered the Luxos U (the version with a remote switch for high beam) from Rose Versand, they won't get it into stock until week 6/2013. There was a sale on so I jumped in and pre-ordered, price was 135 Euros after VAT removed. At this time of year expect other sales.
How do you get the VAT removed? Every time I have tried to an order with them the price included VAT. Which URL are you using? BTW http://starbike.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; are saying they will have stock December 6, 2012. Just tried it at https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and it is charging 179 Euros + postage. VAT is included in that price.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Just email them to confirm that the VAT will not be charged. First time I ordered gear from Germany (Tubus Tara from Unterwegs.biz) I did this and they readily confirmed this would be done. I think it should be pretty standard practice as they do not want to needlessly inflate their prices to international customers.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:53 am

I think with StarBike it is more a case of they haven't updated their stock dates than that they'll get the Luxos U before anyone else. Rose Versand's stock dates have been creeping out, the email to confirm the order gave a timeframe that I'd trust but I'd be happy if something rocks up early, there's some night Audax rides coming up. I note that Bike24 removed the Luxos U completely from their site, hopefully it'll reappear when stocks are available.

As to VAT the first email after i put in the order just confirmed the amounts displayed at Checkout, said the headlight was 161.10 Euros with VAT (there was a discount that weekend so not the expected 179 Euros price) and order total before shipping as 479.30 Euros (I've ordered the Ortlieb recumbent panniers and other bits while the discount was on). The email after the weekend to confirm the order was with VAT removed, the headlight stated as 135.38 Euros and total order before adding shipping costs as 402.78 Euros. So you have to order with VAT included and it gets taken out when the order is processed, either at pre-order or final processing. VAT isn't always 19%, it depends on the product. Not every German webshop is like this.

I have been wondering if the Luxos B is the same as the Luxos U except for the remote switch, by that I mean having the same headlight right down to the socket that the remote plugs into. If so one remote would serve several headlights and save bucks.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 am

il padrone wrote:Just email them to confirm that the VAT will not be charged. First time I ordered gear from Germany (Tubus Tara from Unterwegs.biz) I did this and they readily confirmed this would be done. I think it should be pretty standard practice as they do not want to needlessly inflate their prices to international customers.
The amount being charged to PayPal was the total including the VAT ...

Oh I have emailed them in the past ... no response.

It is not rocket science to have a shopping software that at least get the VAT removed at checkout before the final button to confirm payment. Heck I was at http://www.dutchbikebits.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website yesterday and even David little operation's software removes VAT at the product page once you register yourself as having an Australian delivery address. So does http://bike24.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

All to dodgy for me to bother with them for a few dollars saving now and then.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:I have been wondering if the Luxos B is the same as the Luxos U except for the remote switch, by that I mean having the same headlight right down to the socket that the remote plugs into. If so one remote would serve several headlights and save bucks.
The comparative features are shown here:

The Luxos B lacks the USB charger, buffer battery and the remote switch; but also doesn't have a rear-light monitor, the 90lux floodlight option and apparently lacks the wide panorama low-beam.
Mandatory helmet law?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:00 am

Looks like the Luxos B is available this week on some webshops and has been given a promotional price close to the current CYO's. At least at Bike Discount.de and Rose Versand (that one has VAT displayed in the price until checkout (or later if you're silly enough to use PayPal)).
The Luxos U is also on special at Rose Versand but still fluid on when it'll be in stock. Not every webshop seems to want to stock this model.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am

That sale didn't last long.
Anyway the Luxos U headlight was updated last week as not in stock for another 7 weeks but mine was a pre-order, they've just emailled me to say that it's being shipped. By the time this arrives there'll be the next nighttime Audax ride, a perfect test.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:08 am

Starting to get some reviews done:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... mp-M-Luxos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes....html#BM_luxos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:31 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:... they've just emailled me to say that it's being shipped. By the time this arrives there'll be the next nighttime Audax ride, a perfect test.
Excellent - And a perfect demonstration for me! :D
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Only the B model though - stripped back version lacking many features.
Mandatory helmet law?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 am

Nope, the U model. All the bells and whistles.
And just checked, confirmed that VAT wasn't included in final credit card debit so obviously don't use PayPal for this sort of thing unless you want to pay vat 19% extra.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am

Starbike.com now have the 179U in stock for €179-VAT

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:21 am

The suspense is killing me!
--

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 am

Fix to my link above:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am

HappyHumber wrote:The suspense is killing me!
Have a read of this brief review at BikeForums.

I took my first ride this morning with my new B&M Luxos B. I'm powering the light off a Sanyo dynamo hub from Peter; the light's from Harris.

If you're thinking about this light, but you're on the fence, it's time to get off the fence. This is an amazing light. I tried to take a picture of the beam on the ride in, but it just wouldn't come out. The beam is every bit as good, if not better, than the pics on the B&M website.

Near field illumination is exceptional. If you look at pictures of the light, you'll notice the lens wraps around the side of the light housing. This is a completely different take than the flat lenses of the Cyo line of lights. This wrap-around feature lights up the sides of the bike and provides an extra level of visibility and safety. I didn't think I needed this, but riding with it makes a huge difference in the way the road presents itself at speed. This particular innovation alone is worth the investment.

Distance illumination is also truly outstanding. I own an IQ Cyo Fly, a Cygolite Expilion 350, and a Cyo R. The Luxos far and away provides better roadway and signage illumination than any of them. I've ridden the route so many times, I've memorized all the potholes and rough spots. Nevertheless, I felt that, at speed, the light's illumination of roadway obstacles at 30 feet was as good, if not better, than the halogen beams on my car making for a safe "see and be seen" commute.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Another initial review has been posted in a UK forum this time on the Luxos U.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:21 pm

Any idea on what:
"The light does have an extra 'flood' setting that can be used for a limited time for tricky descents and pothole detection. It certainly feels very bright. The manual suggests that under the flood setting, the internal battery will drain faster than it can be recharged via the dynamo, so this is for short bursts rather than default setting. The flood is provided by an extra set of LEDs at the top of the light:"
the implications of that mean?
Remind me how many setting the U has? High, low, flood (extra high)?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:46 pm

I believe the settings are normal, flood and flash. These settings are controlled by the handlebar switch. The light also automatically switches, in a gradual fashion, from a distance beam at speed, to a much wider panoramic near beam for speeds below ~15kmh.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:09 am

rifraf wrote:the internal battery will drain faster than it can be recharged via the dynamo, so this is for short bursts rather than default setting.
il padrone wrote:I believe the settings are normal, flood and flash. These settings are controlled by the handlebar switch. The light also automatically switches, in a gradual fashion, from a distance beam at speed, to a much wider panoramic near beam for speeds below ~15kmh.
Thanks for the heads up IP. Its a shame the 90 lux is for short bursts only but saying that, I've always found the 60(?) I think my Edelux is, to be more than impressive enough. So this lights low beam of 70 lux must have a real WOW factor. I look forward to the opportunity to see its output in the flesh. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:55 am

Got the Luxos U and about to install it. Certainly a bit more on the ugly side than my Cyo lights.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:14 pm

drum roll, please......
--

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:42 pm

rifraf wrote: Its a shame the 90 lux is for short bursts only but saying that, I've always found the 60(?) I think my Edelux is, to be more than impressive enough.
Actually the Edelux is 80 lux. It's the B&M Cyo that is 60.

However this Luxos is very special for its beam characteristics rather than the maximum light output.

just4thehalibut.......... verrry jealous! :P
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:23 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:Got the Luxos U and about to install it. Certainly a bit more on the ugly side than my Cyo lights.
Hoping to see it in action on the next night Audax ride
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810