The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

jasonc

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 pm

herzog wrote:What you are doing is basically the cycling equivalent of this motorist:
my first choice is not to AZ them. But if they are taking up more than half the path, and there is no response from the initial further away AZ, then I have another go. It's a SHARED path, not a pedestrian path.

There's a knucklehead I see regularly on a bike only path (the pedestrian path is ~10m away). He cops a longer warning blast.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:39 pm

InTheWoods wrote:The idea is that if you are using the front brake at its maximum effectiveness, the rear tyre has virtually no weight on it and is about to lift off the ground.
I would suggest that if you are about to do a nose-wheelie you are in a position being about to lose control - not a very safe place to be. I would never be in this situation, even in a state of emergency braking - probably becuase I will have thrown my body backwards (a little trick from MTB riding) to maintain some rear-end traction, and balance for control
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 pm

il padrone wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Have you heard of a thing called Facebook? That's all they need to organise street racing. And they do it already. Come to Western Sydney.......
Lukeyboy wrote:I suggest you look into the Japanese street racing/performance speed scene from the early to late 90's. Maybe even did into the 80's. Bogan levels here haven't even scratched the surface of that stage yet in terms of speeds and production standards.
So are you guys suggesting this makes Strava-hoonish behaviour OK??
Not in the slightest. I'm saying that the stava scene that us cyclists have for cars hooning on public roads has been around for a very very long time. Different laws between states and countries evolve over time such as anti hooning laws and that determines how the driver/drivers/groups go about it. It could be someone pulling up at a set of lights to someone driving on a quiet road by themselves to a few friends going for a joy ride or to even a well planned out race over facebook, chat rooms, text message etc etc etc. Some bike messengers/cycling groups do the same thing with planned races. Not long after the M1 upgrade between Brisbane-Gold Coast drivers did races (top speed wise/who is the fastest) on the new extra wide lanes between Logan and Helensvale-Robina which were organised via text messages and group meets. And it still happens today. They used to use the Logan Motorway overpass southbound as the starting mark.... well, that was until they put up some speed cameras on them not long back.

nescius

Postby nescius » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 am

I had a couple of close calls this morning with some space cadet cyclists:

In the first instance I was doing a hard TT effort (on the road), on a slight downhill so I was doing close to 50kmh when a numpty popped out of the shared path to cross the road directly in front of me, I had spotted him but thought he was stopping because he was going so slow and and he wasn't pedalling. Either he didn't see me, or he completely misjudged my speed, anyway it was close enough to raise my eyebrows but not so close that I had to e-brake or anything like that.

The second instance was on the way home, turning right at a major intersection, I was rolling up to the lights when the arrow went green so I started winding up again and was probably doing about 35kmh or so when numpty number two crossed in front of me (one car had already passed through the green arrow at this stage, and there were more behind me). I had to brake hard and cut left to go around him, and the car behind me had to brake hard to avoid turning him into a pancake. Unfortunately the only sound that came out of my mouth was a strange "wah" sound, if I hadn't been in the middle of an intersection I would have probably followed him and let fly with my highest quality insults.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:49 pm

After riding along the South Perth foreshore bike path to work the past two days for the first time and part of the way along the freeway bike path in the opposite direction to most of the traffic I am glad I dont normally ride this path. After reading all the comments over the past few years about cyclists and pedestrians I would like to give my observations based on two days riding. I have found most pedestrians who use the shared paths to be predictable. However the number of cyclists who appear to be using it as a race track is unbelievable. I stopped counting after twenty the number of cyclists who obviously don't know how to use brakes and cant wait for cyclists coming in the opposite direction to overtake slower cyclists and pedestrians. I am very surprised that their aren't more accidents during peak time along these paths.
Other than the improved scenery I think I prefer my usual commute through an industrial area.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 am

johnny99 wrote: I stopped counting after twenty the number of cyclists who obviously don't know how to use brakes and cant wait for cyclists coming in the opposite direction to overtake slower cyclists and pedestrians. I am very surprised that their aren't more accidents during peak time along these paths.
Other than the improved scenery I think I prefer my usual commute through an industrial area.
Hi Johnny99,
In traffic with a car, and some thing is slow in front , you have to let the oncoming traffic pass, then overtake.
Is this not the same course of action on a path? I usually come up on a ped and pass when clear. If I move out early all that will happen is a head on with a cyclist coming the other way.
Have I misread something here?
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

johnny99

Postby johnny99 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

No outnabike you havent misread it. I frequently observed other cyclists overtaking in dangerous places and situations when other cyclists were approaching. Slowing down and waiting for an appropriate time to pass is what should happen but doesnt. As cyclists we want vehicles to give us a metre clearance when passing but it seems that once on a cycle path the same reasoning gets forgotten and its ok to squeeze through.

malnar

Postby malnar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:18 pm

This is the dog that bit me. The owner knows it chases cyclists, yet he has it off lead. Possibly a pit bull...Image

malnar

Postby malnar » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:39 pm

And the video. F word warning at 4:53:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oHHts8v7Yw
Last edited by Mulger bill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: linkage

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:57 pm

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care ... -penalties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Call the dangerous dogs hotline on the above page. The owner has no excuses for having their dog bite you. Penalties are quite stiff.

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 am

il padrone wrote:
human909 wrote:Using both brakes means you will almost certainly be braking less than maximum and will not gains the skills to be able to brake hard in emergencies.
I actually do not see how using the rear brake as well as the front brake fully on, could possibly lead to lesser braking power :?
Mostly we are on the same page, so I have no great desire to disagree,,, But.... If you are using (braking) with rear brake then by implication you are not fully using the front brake. Sure throwing your weight back will dramatically improved things but under normal conditions you are still limited by the OTB (over the bars) threshold.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 am

malnar wrote:And the video. F word warning at 4:53:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oHHts8v7Yw[/youtube]
Damn that's crazy!

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 am

The owner doesn't sound like he's in full control of his own faculties, yet alone his animals. I noticed you said you called the hotline, but perhaps follow it up if you don't hear anything to ensure he gets the help he so desperately needs.

Just be thankful you didn't follow them home. You might have saved some poor sod doing renovations 50 years hence from the shock of discovering a cyclist and bike complete with a couple of olde world technology video cameras under the patio.

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:26 am

Dog owners really are the worst... Walking, running, riding, they've always caused me problems.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 am

jules21 wrote:
il padrone wrote:No clear give way signage there. Some might say, in the absence of this it would be "give way to the right" :?:
which i did, anyway. but of course, i highly doubt that was his rationale for sailing through :)
You were going straight forward, he was effectively doing a left turn off the road and across your path, so he should have given way.

jindydiver

Postby jindydiver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:21 am

Straight to the cops, ring a lawyer

I love how the guy comes to the realisation he is in a deep hole and goes straight to the F you defence LOL

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 am

Great thing is this guy is a typical dog-owner in my experience.

Love wifey - "Yes I know that's right, but some bike riders come past so fast....." What, and that makes it OK to run the dog off the lead ?? :roll: :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am

One of the more reasonable dog owners I have met (er seen)
. How sad is that?

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am

All cyclists always run red lights ride too fast don't use lights at night ride on the footpath are a menace.

All dog owners don't control their dog allow it to be vicious allow it to wander all over the path don't pick up after it are a menace.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 am

Substitute 'lots' for 'all' and that statement would be OK - except very few cyclists really ride too fast, we rarely come anywhere near breaking a speed limit.
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:21 am

check out these numpties.. "this is as good a place as any to stop for a chat" some people need a good slap across the side of the head :mrgreen:

herzog

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:23 am

Life's pretty good if that's the worst you have to deal with.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 am

Would have stopped and had a quiet, pointed chat with them :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 am

herzog wrote:Life's pretty good if that's the worst you have to deal with.
sadly, it's not..
il padrone wrote:Would have stopped and had a quiet, pointed chat with them :wink:
they were offered some polite advice by myself and the cyclist on my wheel. i just questioned whether that was sensible of them. i prefer to let people make their own minds up rather than abuse them.

Percrime

Postby Percrime » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 am

Actually when I think about it thats probably about 10% of the dog owners I see. What it is tho is about 60% of those I see without leads on their dog... and something like 90% of the dog owners I see without leads in the leash on areas. That is, only 10% or so of the people walking their dogs without leads on a lead on area have real control of the dog... and or care about that. Those that do.... well they really do.