Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

doggatas

Re: Is Channel 9 trying to kill cycling

Postby doggatas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:27 am

Don't work for Nine but if I did the TDU would be on Live in HD from the gun, with on board cameras both in the follow cars and on the bikes (if the UCI would allow it) to add another dimension to the viewing.

I love cycling, especially watching it because I know that after cycling for a few years the level of these guys is simply amazing. Now to enjoy watching, you have know a little bit about how cycling works otherwise it could be seen as simply watching someone(many) people riding a bike, riveting TV.

I reckon last nights non-live broadcast had something to do with the fact that Master Chef - The Professionals aired for the first time, this was on at the same time as the TDU - Peoples Choice Criterium, in the view of Nine, whatever they were showing instead of the crit had more of a chance of swaying viewers away from Master Chef than the cycling did, it's all about ratings.

RonK, I am not making excuses I am merely stating the facts. As I said previously it's about ratings, not satisfying the minority.

Genuine question: Can SBS broadcast something Nine has the rights over?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 am

doggatas wrote:Genuine question: Can SBS broadcast something Nine has the rights over?
I understood there is some kind of use it or loose rule, which is supposed ensure the channels can't use blocking tactics to prevent others from broadcasting events that they don't broadcast themselves.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 am

Provided Nine stick to the programming schedule and show it live as they have stated, should be happy days. The commercials might get annoying but even SBS run add breaks now although not as many but still annoying.

Just looked at the schedule and I can see why it is on GEM (which is FTA) as opposed to Nine................................. Days of our Lives. Imagine the uproar when the regular viewers awake from their early afternoon nap to watch Days of our Lives and find nothing by skinny lycra clad men leisurely riding around the roads of SA. haha.

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm

was annoying to see the guide for channel 9 thru foxtel did not get the updated time, was saying TDU from 1030 but wasn't actually on. Switched over to FTA and that showed the 11.39 start time. Better than nothing but you'd think the effort to at least show the right times would be one way to get viewers to tune in

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:06 pm

I see the problem now, I am in Tassie and the TDU replay was on at 2200. Wasn't rescheduled for us on the Tasmanian WIN network.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:16 pm

doggatas wrote:Genuine question: Can SBS broadcast something Nine has the rights over?
You answer your own question though what can happen is that SBS broadcast from the village and commentry on the race with licensed video, audio, photos. The race organisers have photographers and provide media with photos and video highlights though also impose restrictions so that their principle broadcaster retains the advantage.

As an example, sometimes in news reports of live sports they show photos rather than footage - these are available and can be purchased quickly when there are no longer exclusive rights to live footage. They may be able to purchase or use "highlight" footage when it becomes available though is limited and rights mean that it can only use for reporting but not for commercial purposes such as marketing whereas the principle broadcaster can.
Cycling is in my BNA

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm

A highlights package scheduled somewhere between say 7.00pm and 9.30pm on Gem would have been nice for the workers, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the amount live coverage that'll be coming our way. I also take on board what others have said about it possibly freeing up some of SBS's budget to bring us other cycling events we might otherwise not have seen, I hope that is true.

I'll certainly be tuning in.
FPR Ragamuffin

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:51 pm

Damn random timing ( i.e. late) at Channel 9 stuffed up my TiVo box.....missed the last 11 laps......

I hate Channel 9 !!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ratter

Postby ratter » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 pm

same here :cry:

Simon J

Postby Simon J » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 am

While I'm no fan of Channel 9 and their 'expert commentary', SBS could learn a thing or two about showing sport live from them. I hate watching the SBS ads going on about all the 'live' cycling they're going to show when they only mean live into the eastern states, us poor suckers in Perth get it on a 2-3 hour delay so they don't have to adjust their programming. On Channel 9, live is live.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Channel 9 is showing the race live all week on gem. Can't complain about that. :)
On now btw
Dogs are the best people :wink:

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Does anyone know who is actually producing the video feed? Is it Ch 9 or a independent operator as is typically done in Europe? The ASO do it best. The UCI/Olympic event broadcast subsidiary is of lower standard.

Beyond. The same company that does most of the cycling coverage in Australia I think they also produce the TDF package for SBS. The TDU package is produced for cycling Australia or Santos TDU it is then on sold to nine.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Sitting here watching it live have been for two hours on Gem. Killing cycling are you kidding this is awesome.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:41 pm

I just want a KM countdown, how hard can it be.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Wish they'd have the little widget that tells the time between breaks...
2010 BMC SLC01

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 pm

Unless you work during the daytime.....then you do not ghetto see the live racing :-(

reefer

Postby reefer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Unless you work during the daytime.....then you do not ghetto see the live racing :-(

By that reckoning, there are killing cricket too, as they show it live…. :P

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Riggsbie wrote:Unless you work during the daytime.....then you do not ghetto see the live racing :-(
fair enough, let's equip all the riders with headlamps and have a night time road race :lol:

OK, I understand that some people can afford a TV and not a video recorder, but for those that do have one, how hard can it be to record and watch it whenever you please?

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:38 pm

The telecast which is produced by Beyond is actually paid for by the SA government.

Also im no nine fan boy. I was very <language> when the cycling wasn't shown live the other night. Also I think 11pm is way too late for the replays.

In criticising the broadcast itself though, you should keep in mind that budget constraints play a major part in production values. Live graphics containing stats are very costly as are extra cameras. It is naive to expect similar production quality as the TDF or any of the major races around the world. With that in mind I reckon the broadcast itself is pretty good.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Overall the live broadcast was good. Especially the fact they had propper commentators, which alone was a big improvement on last year.

But I do agree that to show highlights at 11.00pm is ridiculous. Especially when they have channels available to show it on.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 pm

And here I am watching another stupid repeat of the big bang theory.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 pm

ozzymac wrote:Overall the live broadcast was good. Especially the fact they had propper commentators, which alone was a big improvement on last year.
?
Same commentators, and IMO they are past their use by date.
ozzymac wrote:But I do agree that to show highlights at 11.00pm is ridiculous. Especially when they have channels available to show it on.
Can't you just record it and watch it when you are ready?

It's not like you will miss the highlights if say you watch the last 40-min of the race (which honestly is the only bit of much interest in many of these races anyway), as they do a race highlights/update at times through the coverage anyway to bring people up to speed who may have just tuned in.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Bugger off brainetics!

Yay they just started the descent....... and now to an ad break....

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

So people have already forgotten those Cadel Swisse ads that were shown every 5 minutes of the TDF?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Weren't any on Eurosport :lol: :lol: