Cool track photo thread

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Cool track photo thread

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:14 pm

brentono wrote:Don't think that handlebar tape colour conforms to "the rules" :P
(Rule #8)
Black or Red only. :D
:mrgreen:
LOL, the handlebar tape came with the bike, I'lll refer it to Keith Oliver
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:05 am

mikesbytes wrote:
brentono wrote:Don't think that handlebar tape colour conforms to "the rules" :P
(Rule #8)
Black or Red only. :D
LOL, the handlebar tape came with the bike, I'lll refer it to Keith Oliver
OK, KO. Track always skirted the system (The Rules) :)
Anyway, "no socks" was norm, as far back as I can remember. So there goes #27. :lol:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Here is one of a top bloke that helped me and others in our club. 8) Hilary Pocock and he went on to be a sprint champ. :wink:

He is 16yrs of age here and is now around 76yrs I think. :)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:53 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
I was in MMAS div 2
You are in MMAS5 with popplewell ? I know you, we always say hello at the track events. Im the bloke with the dyed blonde hair who hangs with the Illawarra crew. Forgotten your name - is it Mark?

brentono I am interested in your old photos. I have a collection of thousands. My uncle was a Australian sixdayman from 1946 to 1963 based in Belgium. I have all his private photos as well as my own collection. I wont post any on here as there is a book forthcoming ..... What is your connection, you know a lot about the oldern days. i am something of an expert regarding six day racing and riders of the 40s, 50s and 60s.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm

GaryF wrote:Image
Oh wow, just found this. My famous uncle. (I have the original photo). He was a great showman. I just published a story about him in this month's issue of Bicycling Australia.

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:43 pm

Recently got a stack of old bike mags that are great reading. These pics are out of National Cycling mag, Feb-Mar 1979. The text for the first pic is" On their way to winning the Victorian 50m Madison Championship, Colin Fitzgerald (right) desperately throws his interstate partner Gary Sutton into the intense closing stage of the race" I love those helmets.

Cheers

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
brentono I am interested in your old photos. I have a collection of thousands. My uncle was a Australian sixdayman from 1946 to 1963 based in Belgium. I have all his private photos as well as my own collection. I wont post any on here as there is a book forthcoming ..... What is your connection, you know a lot about the oldern days. i am something of an expert regarding six day racing and riders of the 40s, 50s and 60s.
Derny Driver
I have a stack of old photos, programs, clippings and mags (50's onwards) inherited from my Father,
who raced and was a bike fanatic for 60 years. Have some stuff, a little, from my own cycling days.
I raced, once, in a World Sprint Championship, on the Track in Italy.
Grew up with Cycling.
Cheers

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:00 pm

Derny Driver wrote:You are in MMAS5 with popplewell ? I know you, we always say hello at the track events. Im the bloke with the dyed blonde hair who hangs with the Illawarra crew. Forgotten your name - is it Mark?
Michael. Yes MMAS5 but not as quick as Popplewell :(

Are you the guy who held me for the wheel race qualification at Wollongong?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:11 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Are you the guy who held me for the wheel race qualification at Wollongong?
haha Yeah that was me : ))

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 pm

brentono wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
Derny Driver
I have a stack of old photos, programs, clippings and mags (50's onwards) inherited from my Father,
who raced and was a bike fanatic for 60 years. Have some stuff, a little, from my own cycling days.
I raced, once, in a World Sprint Championship, on the Track in Italy.
Grew up with Cycling.
Cheers
Good stuff!
Your dad sounds like my dad. I come from a cycling family too although I never took it up myself until later in life. And I cant claim to be world class, which you obviously were.
I was club A grade only. By the way, track match sprinting is the purest form of the sport, in my opinion. Speed meets tactics.
I have about 30 boxes of cycling magazines. I have about 60 or 70 old six day programs, if you have any 6 day stuff - and would like to scan for me I would be indebted.
My photo collection is 5 albums of track riders of the 50's and 60s.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 am

Got a few cuttings of Reg, Roger and Ron from 6-Days (London, Paris, Berlin) will put some up :D
Cheers

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Many of the Coureur/Sporting Cyclist Mags, of the Sixties, of mine, have good 6-Day coverage.
You probably have this one. :mrgreen:

And a shot from early 1950's in Paris at the old Vel' d'Hiv (I think)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey Brentono, the Aussie Masters Track Champs are in Perth this year. Will we see some 2013 photos of you here?

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:41 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Hey Brentono, the Aussie Masters Track Champs are in Perth this year. Will we see some 2013 photos of you here?
Mike
No, mate, I am now old enough, to know better. :D
(for all the effort, only some, get the rare chance to enjoy the moment, and then it's gone)

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Melbourne's 2nd Milk 6-Day 1960 (Star-attraction Patto fell at Launceston)
Oscar Plattner brought from Europe to fill in, Teamed with Peter Panton,
which made them favourites. Won by John Green, teamed with John Young,
who beat the favourites, like this... :mrgreen:

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm

brentono wrote:Got a few cuttings of Reg, Roger and Ron from 6-Days (London, Paris, Berlin) will put some up :D
Cheers
Reg (Reginald) and Roger are the same person (my uncle). Roger was a pseudonym he used. His results are listed under his correct name, Reginald. Ron is a misprint. Reg's partner's name was Alf Strom. Reg and Alf were partners for 8 years. Alf retired and then Reg rode mostly with Ferdinando Terruzzi for the next 8 years. He won a European madison title with each of those guys, Strom in 1952 and Terruzzi in 1958.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 pm

brentono wrote:Many of the Coureur/Sporting Cyclist Mags, of the Sixties, of mine, have good 6-Day coverage.
You probably have this one. :mrgreen:

And a shot from early 1950's in Paris at the old Vel' d'Hiv (I think)
Yes mate, I have that one. I have the complete set of Sporting Cyclist. That particular cover has him wearing the rainbow jersey. 4 times in his career he partnered the World Road champion in a six day track race and so got to wear the rainbow jersey of his partner. 1955 was with Stan Ockers at the Antwerp 6, 1958 with Rik Van Steenbergen at Antwerp 6, 1959 with Walter Bucher (world motorpace champion) at the Zurich 6, 1963 with Jean Stablinski at the Brussells 6. This photo was at the Brussells 6. Stablinski was the National Champion of France and the world Road Champ but was pretty crap on the track. He admitted that. Reg and Jean came 8th but who cares, it was contract money, no bonuses for winning. I actually have one of those rainbow jerseys, framed on my wall : ))

Yes , Vel d'Hiv. I have some stories about that track. I believe that Wembley footy stadium with a capacity crowd of fottball nutters had nothing on the Vel d'Hiv when a 6 was on. 3 tiers of spectator balconies holding 25,000 fans. If the referees made a call against a French rider, the fans would pelt the track with coins, sardine cans, cutlery, anything they could get their hands on. Riders would have to retreat to their cabins until the madness subsided and the track was cleared.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:27 pm

brentono wrote:Melbourne's 2nd Milk 6-Day 1960 (Star-attraction Patto fell at Launceston)
Oscar Plattner brought from Europe to fill in, Teamed with Peter Panton,
which made them favourites. Won by John Green, teamed with John Young,
who beat the favourites, like this... :mrgreen:
Good stuff! I have some great photos of Plattner. Green and Young were a great team. Im pretty good friends with John Green actually. Lovely bloke.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am

Reg certainly must have had some stories, as they were heady days of the Sixes.
The names thing, was a joke, as most cyclist, would have experienced media misnomers, as I have. :)
In my short career, I was lucky to touch on many areas, in Cycling, met many blokes, with a story
and a history. One that sticks, while in Denmark, Cycling and it was from René Pijnen, while having
a beer. He said, "Champions come and go in Cycling, and the average fan, within a year, won't
remember your name" and it is so true. Even moreso these days, when, In Cycling there's every
Championship under the sun, and the meaning of a "World Champion" has been diluted. IMO.
As you said "track match sprinting is the purest form of the sport, in my opinion"
Well, I am from the era, when the "Blue Ribbon Event" was the Sprint.
And the Track Champion, was the Sprint Jersey Holder.
Having mixed with quite a few 6-Dayers in Ghent, while I stayed there, when it was still
a very hectic circuit, with a 24-hour break for travel between venues.
It was not as bad as the early history, but it certainly required special mindset.
It was at a stage, when I was still deciding which way I wanted to go, and 6-days were considered.
My story was short, and sweet. Sometimes, you just have to move on.
Let us know the book you talk about, as a history of Reg's Sixes, would be a great read.
Cheers

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

brentono wrote:Reg certainly must have had some stories, as they were heady days of the Sixes.
The names thing, was a joke, as most cyclist, would have experienced media misnomers, as I have. :)
In my short career, I was lucky to touch on many areas, in Cycling, met many blokes, with a story
and a history. One that sticks, while in Denmark, Cycling and it was from René Pijnen, while having
a beer. He said, "Champions come and go in Cycling, and the average fan, within a year, won't
remember your name" and it is so true. Even moreso these days, when, In Cycling there's every
Championship under the sun, and the meaning of a "World Champion" has been diluted. IMO.
As you said "track match sprinting is the purest form of the sport, in my opinion"
Well, I am from the era, when the "Blue Ribbon Event" was the Sprint.
And the Track Champion, was the Sprint Jersey Holder.
Having mixed with quite a few 6-Dayers in Ghent, while I stayed there, when it was still
a very hectic circuit, with a 24-hour break for travel between venues.
It was not as bad as the early history, but it certainly required special mindset.
It was at a stage, when I was still deciding which way I wanted to go, and 6-days were considered.
My story was short, and sweet. Sometimes, you just have to move on.
Let us know the book you talk about, as a history of Reg's Sixes, would be a great read.
Cheers
Ah brentono you are a man after my own heart. At my last unofficial count, the UCI award more than 70 rainbow jerseys annually. A far cry from the 4 that used to be awarded in the Golden Years (Sprint, Pursuit, Motorpace, Road).
A story you'd appreciate : when my uncle arrived at the Gent track in 1946, the track director asked him what his goal was in Europe. My uncle replied, "I want to be a sprinter". So the new boy was lined up against 7 other local lads for a sprint race to see how good he was, and he ran last. He later found out the 7 included a fellow by the name of Jeff Scherens as well as some other fairly quick guys. Anyway, he ended up getting onto the 6 day circuit and the rest is history.
My uncle rates Rene Pijnen as one of the best sixdaymen of all time ... 72 six day wins and 6 European madison championships. Most people have never heard of the bloke. The guy is a god.
I met a few of the old six day cyclists when I went to the Gent 6 in 2005 including Norbert Seeuws, Patrick Sercu, Rik Van Looy and Eddie Merckx. My uncle won the 1958 Gent 6 with Van Looy and I was lucky to shake the great man's hand and have a chat to him.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Please keep your conversation going guys, i'm having a ball just sitting here listening to all the stories of the good old days (heartily agree with you about the seemingly endless number of world champions).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 am

ldrcycles wrote:Please keep your conversation going guys, i'm having a ball just sitting here listening to all the stories of the good old days (heartily agree with you about the seemingly endless number of world champions).
+1, but more pics. It is a photo thread after all. Post a photo, tell a story. Us young'uns will now shut up and listen.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Some may have heard part of this story... before. :)
Derny Driver.
In this photo, the sponsor on Reg's knicks... G.S. Ignis caught my eye.
Was in Paris at Cipale Velodrome, in preparation to ride "Gran Prix" to fill in for Danny Clark.
Got introduced, which led to me to training with the French Olympic Team (coached by Louis Gerardin)
Got to talk and sprint with Morelon (often), and later was a member of the Police Club Team.
(To get around the Olympic rulings, the Olympic riders were Gendarmerie,
they never wore a uniform, or walked the beat. but were paid as cops)
The Club rooms were in the Ile de la Cite area, next to Notre Dame at the central Police station.
After being there a couple of months, an Italian (a Don type) who seemed to be an official at the Club
indicated to one of his people to speak to me (English), in broken translation, I was offered a three
year contract to ride with the new, to be formed, G.S. Ignis 3-man Track Team
(Ignis dropped out sponsoring in 1970 and wanted back in) and to be based at Lake Como.
Great salary, and perks.
It was the very first break I had seen since arriving in Europe. Being young, and unfamiliar,
I thought heading down there, for so long into the remotes, would be no good, so I respectfully declined.
At an age where 3 years was a lifetime, and signing contracts, was serious business.
Only bit of real financial assistance I had been offered for most of my career.
Pretty well supported myself, ran solo, and owed no nobody.
Don't think I was thinking too straight then. Seems like a long time ago now.
Reg's decision to go 6-Day would seem the best way to go.
Sprinters may have been the "Princes of the Park" but the money was in the Sixes.
Wondering what Reg's thoughts on G.S. Ignis were, at the time?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:16 pm

An extract from my soon to be published book:
Teruzzi and Reg had recently done a sponsorship deal with Ignis, a refrigerator manufacturer. The owner of the company, Giovanni Borghi began by repairing toasters. Through hard work he reached the place where he eventually had 32 factories throughout Italy. More than a businessman he was a wonderful friend to Reg and Ferdinando. Borghi was a cycling enthusiast and after visiting the Six Day Races of Zurich and Frankfurt was determined to bring Six Day racing back to Italy. Milan had not seen a Six since 1929 but the man they called ‘Mr Ignis’ was a visionary and a go-getter. It would be done. The organization of the event was described by the Italians as “a dream come true”. 16 million lira was outlayed in riders’ fees for the 16 teams, 7 million lira in priems, 10 million lira for artists and music bands, and for the winners, another 1 million lira. The Palazza dello Sport velodrome built just 7 years earlier was decorated with flags, flowers and colourful fabrics. The expected 60,000 – 70,000 spectators would be treated to a race of spectacular proportions. The organisers also devised a different formula for acquiring points, designed to keep teams from losing so many laps that they abandoned the race. At midnight each night the first ten teams would be given points according to their positions. In addition the spectators were constantly entertained with something happening every hour - sprints, chases, fights for priems, or 100 lap races behind the Vespa motor scooters.
The directors assembled a great selection of riders. Dutch pursuit champion Peter Post teamed with Rik Van Looy the reigning World Road Champion. Also invited were the Swiss stars Walter Bucher and Fritz Pfenninger, Pfenninger being the current European Omnium Champion. A second Australian team consisted of John Tressider and Ron Murray who won the Madrid and Lille Sixes last December, and there were the Germans Hans Jaroscewicz and Gunther Ziegler who won Essen last year. Ziegler was a great German sprinter, never failing to make the podium of his country’s national sprint titles in the years 1955 to 1963.
The French-Spanish team of Louison Bobet and Miguel Poblet was particularly dangerous. Poblet was fast and talented, and Bobet while not a proven Six Day performer could not be discounted, his hundreds of previous victories included the Tour de France in 1953, 1954 and 1955 and Champion of the World (road) in 1954. His dedication, determination, willingness to suffer pain, and powers of recovery were legendary.
The Italians paired their 1952 Olympic gold medallist Mino de Rossi with Leandro Faggin, dual gold medallist from the 1956 Olympics. The world class pursuiters were keen to do well. Another good chance for the Italians came from Olympic gold medallist and five time World Pursuit Champion Guido Messina who was teamed with fellow pursuiter Lul Gillen.
Nino Defilippis was a famous Italian Tour rider, with stage victories in the Tour of Italy, Tour de France, Tour of Spain, Tour of Lombardy, Tour of Switzerland, Paris Nice etc. He was teamed with Willy Vannitsen a well known Belgian Tour rider and prolific winner of criteriums. Vannitsen-Van Looy won the Brussells Six in 1957.
Despite the impressive opposition, Nando and Reg were favoured to win due to the way in which they disposed of the world class riders in Essen last week. Nando was under enormous pressure from the Press and the home crowd, but he was an experienced professional and he knew how to handle it. When the starting whistle blew on February 2nd, Reg and Ferdinando were focused.
Reg wanted to win this race for his friend and organizer Giovanni Borghi, and for his Italian buddy Nando. The 1938 Olympic champion was giving his all for his country, and began with a blast of speed and effort........

Well to cut a longish story short, Arnold-Terruzzi defeated all comers, and in the process won this car in a sprint. This is Reg and Nando sitting on the bonnet.
PS it was sold, as was the custom in those days. All prizes and even trophies were sold. Cash is required to put food on the table for your family.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Left: Arie van Vliet, 'the Professor', Holland. 1936 Olympic Gold Medal Kilo TT,World Sprint Champion 1936, 38, 48, 53. 17 National Titles.
Centre: Joseph 'Jeff' Scherens, 'the Cat', Belgium. World Sprint Champion 1932, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 47. 18 national Titles.
Right: Louis 'Toto' Gerardin, France. World sprint Champion 1930. 13 National titles.

You met Toto ? respect!!
(Photo from my collection)