Its TDU 2013 time! Post your TDU sightings, & BS here :)

liamb

Re: Its TDU 2013 time! Post your TDU sightings, & BS here :)

Postby liamb » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 am

I think every team has spun past my workplace heading up or down Military Rd.
Great place to work but it sux when you cant ride along with all the lucky people on leave or dont work. BUT I will not be driving down the road this week or next week as many people already treating the road like a closed road section of a race, 4 wide, riding into the right hand lane into the path of my car with no hand signal, just general no respect for other cyclists or cars. It was just as bad last year.
Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Euskatel and Garmin Sharp at Lenswood this morning. 8)
Certified Brand Snob

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:35 pm

Daccordi Rider wrote: The tour down under website gives the road closures. Assuming you are driving it may be possible to get from Hahndorf to Corkscrew find a park and a spot but given they are suggesting it will take the riders 1 hr to cover that distance it will be tight I suspect. If you are riding you won't make it I'm afraid. I would just try to see the Corkscrew climb, ride it, then find a good spot. Enjoy!
Originally, also thought I would watch from Hahndorf but it sounds like Corkscrew Rd is the place to be.

Any advice from past years...will there be many facilities in Montacute (food/drinks/loos)? looks like population around 300.

At this stage planning to park near Newton/Rostrevor and ride up, does that sound feasible? From Strava, looks like a Cat 2 climb approx 5.5km at 4.9%???? Or is it just as easy to ride out from Adelaide?
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 pm

coffeeandwine wrote: Any advice from past years...will there be many facilities in Montacute (food/drinks/loos)? looks like population around 300.

At this stage planning to park near Newton/Rostrevor and ride up, does that sound feasible? From Strava, looks like a Cat 2 climb approx 5.5km at 4.9%???? Or is it just as easy to ride out from Adelaide?
Basically, as you ride up Montacute Rd, there are just houses and cherry farms. Civilisation is at the bottom of the hill. There is a church on the cnr of Corkscrew & montacute, but have no idea of what infrastructure will go up there.

The ride from Newton is a good idea. The lower slopes of the climb are quite gentle (2 - 3%), but it get's steeper and rougher for the last bit (typically 6 - 9%).

I'll be watching from Bright - can't wait to see it.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 am

MichaelB wrote:
coffeeandwine wrote: Any advice from past years...will there be many facilities in Montacute (food/drinks/loos)? looks like population around 300.

Basically, as you ride up Montacute Rd, there are just houses and cherry farms. Civilisation is at the bottom of the hill. There is a church on the cnr of Corkscrew & montacute, but have no idea of what infrastructure will go up there.

The ride from Newton is a good idea. The lower slopes of the climb are quite gentle (2 - 3%), but it get's steeper and rougher for the last bit (typically 6 - 9%).

I'll be watching from Bright - can't wait to see it.
What Michael said, ride from Adelaide, much easier, it will be 20km tops and it is a lovely ride. There will be stuff at the finish line but not up on Corkscrew.
Certified Brand Snob

coffeeandwine

Postby coffeeandwine » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 pm

Many thanks for your help with local knowledge. looking forward to it!!
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine

DAVCLARE

Postby DAVCLARE » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Coming down Devils elbow , FDJ cruising up . I think I was decending as fast as they were climbing . Dont you just hate that :mrgreen:

hybridbellbasket

Postby hybridbellbasket » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 pm

hybridbellbasket wrote:Tootling back to the City from the Coast down Grange Road on Saturday I was overtaken by the Liquigas team. They must have been barely ticking over (at 30 km/h) as I stayed with them for a while. Most of those guys are tiny!
It appears I was duped- (or just stupid)- Liquigas aren't even here!

What ex[lanation would there be for 5-6 tanned fit guys, all wearing matching pro-team clothing and riding matching matching top of the line Cannondales? I can't work it out....

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 pm

hybridbellbasket wrote:
hybridbellbasket wrote:Tootling back to the City from the Coast down Grange Road on Saturday I was overtaken by the Liquigas team. They must have been barely ticking over (at 30 km/h) as I stayed with them for a while. Most of those guys are tiny!

What ex[lanation would there be for 5-6 tanned fit guys, all wearing matching pro-team clothing and riding matching matching top of the line Cannondales? I can't work it out....
The Liquigas team is now Cannondale Pro Cycling team.

hybridbellbasket

Postby hybridbellbasket » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Fresh wrote:
hybridbellbasket wrote:

The Liquigas team is now Cannondale Pro Cycling team.
Thank you Fresh- that solves the mystery! I must have just seen white, blue and green jersys and thought Liquigas, without actually reading what was on said jerseys. I am glad that the guys I saw were actually a pro-team- they looked way smaller and fitter than any normal bunch around town.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:26 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/rid ... 6559573775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you adelaide-ians think? I ride down montacute road a lot, find it kinda of unbelievable that they would hit 100kmph coming down that hill. Not really sure though since I am not a pro.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:02 am

eeksll wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/rid ... 6559573775

What do you adelaide-ians think? I ride down montacute road a lot, find it kinda of unbelievable that they would hit 100kmph coming down that hill. Not really sure though since I am not a pro.
The surface of the road is just awesome on the lower section of that descent. I spose being a pro with a closed road you could smash 100+ easily.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Fresh wrote:
eeksll wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/rid ... 6559573775

The surface of the road is just awesome on the lower section of that descent. I spose being a pro with a closed road you could smash 100+ easily.
Friend of mine rides the bike with spare wheels, I will ask him and let you know. He is worried he won't be able to stay with them down there though!
Certified Brand Snob