Anyone purchased a road bike from Wiggle?

outnabike

Re: Anyone purchased a road bike from Wiggle?

Postby outnabike » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

fumbi wrote:
Why not just get a bike from your LBS? You get to test ride it before you buy. Any question about the bike will (mostly) be answered. And if your nice (and the sales person is nice as well) you can probably get a discount and get some freebies. Any that's just my opinion...
Definitely better to go with LBS in regards to service and possibly warranty, but pricing is simply often not competitive especially for smaller towns. My LBS knocked $90 off the list price of $3000... next dealer is 250km away. I would have loved to give him the business but if I save even $600 (after duty, tax and whatnot), I can get a lot of servicing and adjustments for that. I was lucky, they had the bike there for me to test ride. Would never buy online without test riding somewhere.
So did you actually buy the bike overseas after testing it locally?
Seems a bit cheeky to have the man spend time with you, and buy elsewhere. I see that wiggle is able to get most buyers into the ball park pretty closely with their sizing system.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 pm

One thing about importing whole bikes us the customs exemption which can also be claimed afterwards. I am not up-to-date on the current situation with this so happy for other feedback from others who have successfully claimed this.

On the service centres, they may also be able to receive warranty equipment and sort out the rest though I am (also) not entirely certain on the fine print.
Cycling is in my BNA

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

Yes, ordered the Focus Izalco from Wiggle yesterday and received email from Wiggle customer service telling me the bike will be despatched on Monday. Let's see how it goes.... Interesting about claiming the duty exemption. Will check that out.

shann

Postby shann » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Bought a Cinelli Experience set up from Wiggle last year, and I think it took three weeks to reach my door in the middle of nowhere. I checked out my LBS but they only stock Giant, Malvern Star and Cell, and I wanted something a bit more stylish. The bike arrived with all the cabling etc. done, and we just attached the wheels, front derailer (this was a bit challenging because I'm a noob), handlebars and chain. I relied heavily on the measurements available on the site, and double checked by emailing the Wiggle people my measurements, and the measurements of my existing MTB, before I purchased. It worked out well.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote:One thing about importing whole bikes us the customs exemption which can also be claimed afterwards. I am not up-to-date on the current situation with this so happy for other feedback from others who have successfully claimed this.

On the service centres, they may also be able to receive warranty equipment and sort out the rest though I am (also) not entirely certain on the fine print.
I imported a complete bike from the USA and did not have to claim any exemption for duty. The courier company handled all that for me. basically they called me on the phone and said GST and customs processing is $430. I paid over the phone and bike was delivered next day. There was no duty applied.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Dezza

Postby Dezza » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

queequeg wrote:I imported a complete bike from the USA and did not have to claim any exemption for duty. The courier company handled all that for me. basically they called me on the phone and said GST and customs processing is $430. I paid over the phone and bike was delivered next day. There was no duty applied.
Sounds good. What did you get and where from?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:03 pm

Dezza wrote:
queequeg wrote:I imported a complete bike from the USA and did not have to claim any exemption for duty. The courier company handled all that for me. basically they called me on the phone and said GST and customs processing is $430. I paid over the phone and bike was delivered next day. There was no duty applied.
Sounds good. What did you get and where from?
Lynskey Cooper CX, direct from the manufacturer during a promo. Even with outrageous shipping cost from the USA, end price still came out cheaper than the same bike bought from their AUS distributor.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 pm

fumbi wrote:Have any of experience with purchasing a complete road bike from Wiggle (UK)?
Yes , just this month ordered a carbon bike with full dura-ace for around $3000 online ( reduced from original UK RRP of A$6000) , paid around $550 fees- wasn't going to argue but they seemed to hit me hard this time- ( 5% duty on bike then on this running total + 10% GST + around $100 courier fees for them filling in the forms ). Bike arrived in 5 days from ordering.
I am absolutely stoked , equivalent bike would be minimum $7000-$8000 ++ here in Aus.
Bike arrived in 2 boxes , Wiggle assemble the bike fully ( adjusting the gears etc etc ) then disassemble the handle bars , remove wheels , unscrew RD hanger then package REALLY WELL. You also get a free "tool kit" which includes pedal wrench, bike tool, spoke tool and I forget if any more I already have this stuff but it was a nice touch.

I seriously could not have afforded this bike in Aus, nor justified buying it at Aussie prices . For the record , I do actively support my LBS ( and have bought 2 other bikes in the last 6 months from them ) and only bought this bike because ... well ... I couldn't "NOT" ... **sigh**. It is a pure, aggressive race bike so I race myself once a week on it , ride my other good road bike with the wife on the weekends. Might have to switch that around as I am having trouble keeping up to her on the older ,more relaxed geometry ,road bike :mrgreen:
Note to self : it is the engine not the bike !!!

I am somewhat mechanically minded and service all my bikes so it was very simple to assemble the bike. My only reservation was "what if the carbon frame developed an issue ??" my other carbon bikes never have so i figure , worst case scenario , I can "insure myself" for that , but having said that Wiggle are definitely a reputable company so I would think they would stand by me...

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 pm

Coolabah wrote: Yes , just this month ordered a carbon bike with full dura-ace for around $3000 online ( reduced from original UK RRP of A$6000) , paid around $550 fees- wasn't going to argue but they seemed to hit me hard this time- ( 5% duty on bike then on this running total + 10% GST + around $100 courier fees for them filling in the forms ). Bike arrived in 5 days from ordering.
I am absolutely stoked , equivalent bike would be minimum $7000-$8000 ++ here in Aus.
Bike arrived in 2 boxes , Wiggle assemble the bike fully ( adjusting the gears etc etc ) then disassemble the handle bars , remove wheels , unscrew RD hanger then package REALLY WELL. You also get a free "tool kit" which includes pedal wrench, bike tool, spoke tool and I forget if any more I already have this stuff but it was a nice touch.

I seriously could not have afforded this bike in Aus, nor justified buying it at Aussie prices . For the record , I do actively support my LBS ( and have bought 2 other bikes in the last 6 months from them ) and only bought this bike because ... well ... I couldn't "NOT" ... **sigh**. It is a pure, aggressive race bike so I race myself once a week on it , ride my other good road bike with the wife on the weekends. Might have to switch that around as I am having trouble keeping up to her on the older ,more relaxed geometry ,road bike :mrgreen:
Note to self : it is the engine not the bike !!!

I am somewhat mechanically minded and service all my bikes so it was very simple to assemble the bike. My only reservation was "what if the carbon frame developed an issue ??" my other carbon bikes never have so i figure , worst case scenario , I can "insure myself" for that , but having said that Wiggle are definitely a reputable company so I would think they would stand by me...
Is this the bike?
http://www.this link is broken/focus-cayo-evo- ... -ace-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:00 pm

ray wrote:On a side note guys, probably old news is that Goldcross now stock Boardman bikes http://www.this link is broken/boardman.aspx.
Yep, my team will be sponsored by Goldcross this year, we will all be on Air or SLR 9.8s in a few weeks. They seem to get some good reviews so hoping that will be OK.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm

antipodean wrote:
Coolabah wrote: Is this the bike?
http://www.this link is broken/focus-cayo-evo- ... -ace-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...actually, this one.. not a "cool" bike brand if you're into that -( I'm not FWIW)- but the frame is VERY well reviewed , top quality group-san , I'm absolutely thrilled with the ride, weighs below 7 kg. My other main road bike is a Bianchi, also own a Colnago and this bike aces them all... IMHO...It's the same frame etc ( sans wheels, saddle of course ) as the ProTeam use if that counts.

But- that bike you linked looks great too. My bike was just over $2800 ( forget exact figure) , then shipping took it up to ~ $3000

http://www.this link is broken/raleigh-sp-team-dura-ace-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

now sold out.... :(

cheers,

Coolabah

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm

I called customs today to sort out the issue around import duty:
There is a free trade agreement in place between AUS and the US so there is NO duty for bikes imported from US. Imports from the UK are subject to 5% duty if over $1,000 (incl. freight and insurance).

Makes buying in the US attractive if you find your dream bike there. Mine was only available in the UK.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

I bought a Focus bike on clearance from wiggle.

Had some issues with brake alignment and ended up cross threading a hole. Wiggle were great and sent the replacement parts ASAP (no questions asked) - then told me to go to a local bike shop to get it fitted after which they reimbursed me the charge in full.

Great service - would buy again.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:09 pm

fumbi wrote:I called customs today to sort out the issue around import duty:
There is a free trade agreement in place between AUS and the US so there is NO duty for bikes imported from US. Imports from the UK are subject to 5% duty if over $1,000 (incl. freight and insurance).

Makes buying in the US attractive if you find your dream bike there. Mine was only available in the UK.
Complete bicycles are exempt from duty from all countries of origin under Tariff Concession 0104891 (Tariff Code: 8712.00.00).

In addition, under the FTA, ALL items manufactured in AND delivered from the US, Thailand & NZ are either exempt from duty or receive concessional rates of duty.

My bike was both manufactured in the US and delivered from there, but it was also a complete bicycle. It therefore was duty free under both the TCO and FTA.

YouAgainstMe

Postby YouAgainstMe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Coolabah wrote: My only reservation was "what if the carbon frame developed an issue ??" my other carbon bikes never have so i figure , worst case scenario , I can "insure myself" for that
What do you mean insure yourself?

petal665

Postby petal665 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Pay $20 a week into a fund to buy a new frame 'at some stage'

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm

YouAgainstMe wrote:
Coolabah wrote: My only reservation was "what if the carbon frame developed an issue ??" my other carbon bikes never have so i figure , worst case scenario , I can "insure myself" for that
What do you mean insure yourself?
petal665 wrote:Pay $20 a week into a fund to buy a new frame 'at some stage'
Yeh , what Petal said - it means the deal was so good (IMHO), that if it doesn't pan out (eg cracked frame) then I might personally have to fork out the cash to fix it ... may never happen , and even if I bought a new frame today I would still be ahead ?? All about the risk(s) you are prepared to take.

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

queequeg wrote: Complete bicycles are exempt from duty from all countries of origin under Tariff Concession 0104891 (Tariff Code: 8712.00.00).
Tariff Concession 0104891 was revoked in 2003, unfortunately.

Here is a parrallel, older thread on this:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=18138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:29 pm

fumbi wrote:
queequeg wrote: Complete bicycles are exempt from duty from all countries of origin under Tariff Concession 0104891 (Tariff Code: 8712.00.00).
Tariff Concession 0104891 was revoked in 2003, unfortunately.

Here is a parrallel, older thread on this:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =9&t=18138" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Australian Customs website still shows it as current.

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Coolabah wrote:
fumbi wrote:Have any of experience with purchasing a complete road bike from Wiggle (UK)?
My only reservation was "what if the carbon frame developed an issue ??" my other carbon bikes never have so i figure , worst case scenario , I can "insure myself" for that , but having said that Wiggle are definitely a reputable company so I would think they would stand by me...
.... just bumping this thread 'cos now I am not so sure that Wiggle is a "reputable company" or , perhaps they are but maybe they just don't care. I'll try not to bore you with excessive detail/rant mode but in summary :

I "earned" a discount voucher for buying my bike from Wiggle during January sales or whatever. Placed an order the other day for other stuff on my wishlist and 2 things immediately happened:
1) PayPal payment went through to Wiggle
2) Voucher is now "used"

.... but order didn't go through to Wiggle due to Wiggle website glitch ( error message from Wiggle came up ) , my order on "my account" on Wiggle was shown as "cancelled" but paid with PayPal (Wiggle keep telling me via all the email correspondence that payment didn't go through but both PayPal and Wiggle "my account" details says it did) . Wiggle have been totally useless and inept in their emails- I don't think they actually read my emails just copy & paste a useless reply that doesn't actually answer anything in my email to them (!!!!) - , so , as it stands I now have to file a dispute for "item not received" with PayPal , and cannot in the meantime place (place again) my order as the voucher is "already used" ; their last email to me FINALLY promised to refund the voucher amount if I placed the order "again" but as they already have my first $300 , I can't afford another $350 for a bank account balance tightly budgeted for the first "purchase" only. I really think they could have got off their rear ends and either re-funded my money through PayPal or manually processed my original order through .... no ??? Too much to expect ???

Thank goodness they didn't do this with my bike order !

My "sage" advice now is - think carefully and weigh up the risks with this company....
Not going to order with Wiggle again methinks....

Awesome customer service ? I'm starting to save for a new carbon frame to replace at my own expense just in case it becomes faulty during the warranty period.....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Coolabah wrote:
.... but order didn't go through to Wiggle due to Wiggle website glitch ( error message from Wiggle came up ) , my order on "my account" on Wiggle was shown as "cancelled" but paid with PayPal (Wiggle keep telling me via all the email correspondence that payment didn't go through but both PayPal and Wiggle "my account" details says it did) . Wiggle have been totally useless and inept in their emails- I don't think they actually read my emails just copy & paste a useless reply that doesn't actually answer anything in my email to them (!!!!) - , so , as it stands I now have to file a dispute for "item not received" with PayPal , and cannot in the meantime place (place again) my order as the voucher is "already used" ; their last email to me FINALLY promised to refund the voucher amount if I placed the order "again" but as they already have my first $300 , I can't afford another $350 for a bank account balance tightly budgeted for the first "purchase" only. I really think they could have got off their rear ends and either re-funded my money through PayPal or manually processed my original order through .... no ??? Too much to expect ???

Thank goodness they didn't do this with my bike order !

My "sage" advice now is - think carefully and weigh up the risks with this company....
Not going to order with Wiggle again methinks....

Awesome customer service ? I'm starting to save for a new carbon frame to replace at my own expense just in case it becomes faulty during the warranty period.....
sounds like an issue that could be sorted out with a quick phone call.

key - i've now ordered a bike through wiggle. it was a balance bike. arrived in a week. :mrgreen:

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:29 pm

jasonc wrote:[

sounds like an issue that could be sorted out with a quick phone call.

key - i've now ordered a bike through wiggle. it was a balance bike. arrived in a week. :mrgreen:
Thanks for your suggestion .

For the record I wasn't going to pollute this thread with my rantings but you can probably guess I am absolutely gobsmacked by Wiggle right now......

Yes , my bike arrived within a week too, and I am still thrilled with it. But my point is , all is well until you have a problem ..........then Wiggle are AWESOMELY useless. :evil:
Well, I've been ordering over the internet since 1990 from the days when you actually couldn't buy the necessary IT books from Australia without a 3 month wait with a special order but could get them from Amazon within a week for half the price. Lots of hobby stuff not available at all from Australia but available overseas etc..., and have never had this sort of mindless numpty problem before - ever- not once , etc...

this was their reply to my email , where I informed them that PayPal has gone through ( attached all documentation ) , told them the voucher was showing up as used and the error messages occurring as well as my workarounds to try and apply the voucher ( I tried to place the order again , cleared cookies , made new cart etc etc etc )
"Thank you for your email.

I have looked into your order and it appears that the order was not completed and no money was taken.

My sincere apologies that you have experienced this error. If you would like the order you will need to replace it. Paypal experienced problems yesturday however this appears to be resolved.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me and I will do my best to help. "
-no solution to the voucher being shown as used so - if I were to place the order , would I then be told " your voucher was clearly showing as being not valid , we will not refund your money" ??? ( personally I now strongly believe this would be the case )
- "appears no money was taken " ??? If they looked further than their glitching website software ie looked at their PayPal incomings ( I provided them with the unique ID number , would have taken less than 5 minutes )
then "appears no money was received" would become " we have actually checked and guess what funnily enough there it is , just sitting there all fat and pretty in OUR PayPal account" :evil: :roll:

after numerous emails saying that the voucher was not working , asking what if I placed the order without the voucher working could they retro-respectively apply it was this response (sic)
" Regarding the voucher you was using there is no sign of it on your account so this should still be valid. If you have any problems using it please let me know and I will do my best to help.
"
arghhhh ! What part of " I am having problems using the voucher " ( last 4 emails ) don't you understand ????

also , I've never had to make an overseas phonecall to fix a problem 'cos .... wait for it ... these companies promote internet sales , and all their contact details usually assume email...

so , just checking again on Wiggle website "contact us" and here is their little gem :
"Unfortunately we do not offer a call centre facility, however if you could direct your query by email to sales@this link is broken a customer service representative will be in touch shortly." ( nb - they mean via email , this is exactly how I contacted them, and they replied via email)

But , if you have their phone number , that would be really great !

cheers,

Coolabah

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Coolabah wrote: But , if you have their phone number , that would be really great !
well that's crap - no number. sorry

:(

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Strange to hear of such problems with Wiggle, I've bought a fair but from them and the only issue was they sent me a carbon bidon cage instead of the bidon mount I ordered, hopped on the live chat facility they have and it was all sorted the same evening the post arrived

fumbi

Postby fumbi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:22 am

Glad to report my bike arrived within 11 days of order (2 weekends in between); packaged well and best of all: No duty! Seems to have been cleared by customs no problem. Cool. Saved $900.