eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

wqlava1

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

240ZR wrote:
wqlava1 wrote:
240ZR wrote:
I'm hearing u HLC.
Well you might be hearing HLC but not listening to the many others. My guess is that many are like me who feel relentless insidious commercial pressure in their email and other Internet usage, and would prefer to pass on that when taking part in this forum. It's a very open club, but one with the usual behavioral expectations. I think it only polite for another member to state overtly when he stands to make money from me and the other members.
OMGosh!!! I see this misguided mentality from alot of people here in Australia, & I mean alot! so ur not alone wqlava. There's millions of people with the same attitude of caring more about other peoples pockets than they are of their own. These ppl will gladly hand over money to a stranger selling an item that they want but if it's someone they know (or a forum member), then no way! "they're not going to make money out of me"
Let me ask this... so if a good friend of ur's was a manager or owner of Woolie's, Coles, Macca's or even the servo down the road, u would not go to their place of business simply because they will be making money out of u? I think this impolite because if u no someone or have a friend selling something u need or want, then u shud support them & not wish them ill wealth... & as for u munga, no disrespect mate but this has to be said. I no rules are rules but how different would it be if a member forwarded me a link of the stuff they're selling on eBay & another member promoted the add on here? Is there a rule against this or are the mods now going to make this a new rule too & if so, how are they going to police it??? please! if this is how naive ppl on this forum are concerning this rule, then I think the mods shud get their heads together & come up with a better ruling unless they're ok with the above scenario. It's not rocket science ppl, it's common sense!
You've misunderstood this. I have bought/sold many things from/to other members in the marketplace. How's about I reword it " I think it only polite for another member to state overtly when he has a financial interest in something offered to me and the other members"?

As for getting a second username, be it yours or another's, to promote things - a pattern in that is soon observed.

My observation would be that in usage of forums like this that enable us to interact, there is a continuum of people from sellers of male enlargement gear at one commercial extreme to people with a purely academic interest in things at the other extreme. Each of us is happy with our place on that continuum and will defend it, but you are a little more to the commercial end than me (although probably we are pretty close together on that long line given that we are both here, and both a long way from either end). Munga and the other admins are able to point to the current definitions which try to show the limits of behaviour. I'm happy being within those current definitions and they sit comfortably for me. You're encouraging behaviour that is around or just past the current commercial limit here, and that seems to be what you are comfortable with.

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

^ " I think it only polite for another member to state overtly when he has a financial interest in something offered to me and the other members"?

Somehow I believe u would still have a problem with feeling comfortable with this!

&... The only thing I'm not comfortable with on any forum is whiners & wingers as opposed to not being comfortable with ppl making money out of me... but hey, each to their own.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:25 pm

240ZR wrote:u would still have a problem with feeling comfortable with this!
I think the problem is more that he broke the rules of this website.

It's a very Australian thing to be upset by someone else breaking the rules. Europeans don't seem to understand it [and neither do I, quite frankly]. If you want to see more of it, search these forums for the threads on helmets or red lights.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:54 pm

rkelsen wrote:

It's a very Australian thing to be upset by someone else breaking the rules. Europeans don't seem to understand it [and neither do I, quite frankly]. If you want to see more of it, search these forums for the threads on helmets or red lights.
rkelsen, I'm not really worried about the rules being broken per se if it doesn't inconvenience me or endanger others. However, the impact on me if it let it pass is more crappy sneaky advertorial where I expect somewhat more honest editorial. I'm just wanting to maintain the quality of the thread, such as it is. Once spamming of the non-marketplace forums is accepted, the whole BNA lessens in value.

240ZR, please believe me that I am comfortable with the above that you quoted. I'm also comfortable that if you or the guy I commented on with the old Campag wheels post outside the rules, you'll get gently pushed again to improve the quality of your usage of the forums. You'll just find it easier to advertise in the marketplace provided (and encouraged!).

cray-

Postby cray- » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Feel free to take this conversation here or here and let's get this thread back on topic, MOAR WEIRD/CHEAP/DODGY eBay* LINKS!

*Gumtree also acceptable, no point having a separate thread.

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm

wqlava1 wrote:
rkelsen wrote:

rkelsen, I'm not really worried about the rules being broken per se if it doesn't inconvenience me or endanger others. However, the impact on me if it let it pass is more crappy sneaky advertorial where I expect somewhat more honest editorial. I'm just wanting to maintain the quality of the thread, such as it is. Once spamming of the non-marketplace forums is accepted, the whole BNA lessens in value.

240ZR, please believe me that I am comfortable with the above that you quoted. I'm also comfortable that if you or the guy I commented on with the old Campag wheels post outside the rules, you'll get gently pushed again to improve the quality of your usage of the forums. You'll just find it easier to advertise in the marketplace provided (and encouraged!).
rkelsen, I think you'l find it's common knowledge that Europeans have alot more common sense than Australian's do. Europeans also get upset about rules being broken too, they just don't get upset about stupid one's being broken or where common sense prevails. This is probably not the right example but u shud get my drift. If a driver does not indicate to turn left at an intersection where there are no other cars around at all, are they really breaking the rule of "not indicating"? or shud a winging Australian that's walking on the footpath get upset when he sees this even tho it has no effect on him or others??? I believe that lack of common sense is what Europeans don't understand.

Lol! I'm not even going to attempt reading the threads regarding helmets & red lights as I'm sure I'll get a massive migraine from all the :roll: I'll instinctively be doing.

Dow Jones Index

Postby Dow Jones Index » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Indicating is a pretty good habit to get into, especially when you're behind the wheel of a tonne of metal. Now like Cray said, let's keep this thread on track.

Here's an interesting 'Boy's aluminum road bike'. Looks to be a Vitus or Alan

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130835235597 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:44 pm

240ZR wrote:..& as for u munga, no disrespect mate but this has to be said. I no rules are rules but how different would it be if a member forwarded me a link of the stuff they're selling on eBay & another member promoted the add on here? Is there a rule against this or are the mods now going to make this a new rule too & if so, how are they going to police it??? please! if this is how naive ppl on this forum are concerning this rule, then I think the mods shud get their heads together & come up with a better ruling unless they're ok with the above scenario. It's not rocket science ppl, it's common sense!
240ZR, if you choose to manipulate the rules to your own benefit, who am i to get in your way? as it stands now, you're not allowed to spam your own ebay ads. the end.
i've been pulled up for it myself once before, however, i did make it pretty clear it was my own ad, and after being approached about it, offered to remove my post. i didn't get in a huff about how silly it is, because it's not my forum, it's not my rules, and if i don't like it i can choose not to participate.

also, generalising entire populations of entire continents is a bit much, don't you think?

munga

Postby munga » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

Dow Jones Index wrote:Indicating is a pretty good habit to get into, especially when you're behind the wheel of a tonne of metal. Now like Cray said, let's keep this thread on track.

Here's an interesting 'Boy's aluminum road bike'. Looks to be a Vitus or Alan

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130835235597 ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vitus. alan has a seperate headtube, vitus is one-piece up front.

240ZR

Postby 240ZR » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm

munga wrote:
240ZR wrote:..& as for u munga, no disrespect mate but this has to be said. I no rules are rules but how different would it be if a member forwarded me a link of the stuff they're selling on eBay & another member promoted the add on here? Is there a rule against this or are the mods now going to make this a new rule too & if so, how are they going to police it??? please! if this is how naive ppl on this forum are concerning this rule, then I think the mods shud get their heads together & come up with a better ruling unless they're ok with the above scenario. It's not rocket science ppl, it's common sense!
240ZR, if you choose to manipulate the rules to your own benefit, who am i to get in your way? as it stands now, you're not allowed to spam your own ebay ads. the end.
i've been pulled up for it myself once before, however, i did make it pretty clear it was my own ad, and after being approached about it, offered to remove my post. i didn't get in a huff about how silly it is, because it's not my forum, it's not my rules, and if i don't like it i can choose not to participate.

also, generalising entire populations of entire continents is a bit much, don't you think?
WOW!

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-OLD- ... 4ac086153e

The price of rust is up, but perhaps a diamond lurks underneath the crusty exterior.
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

grantw

Postby grantw » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:51 pm

Hamster wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-OLD- ... 4ac086153e

The price of rust is up, but perhaps a diamond lurks underneath the crusty exterior.
Looks like the remains of an old Raleigh roadster, may it rest in pieces

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:10 pm

Its in better condition than the stuff American Pickers buy... but I was thinking more in the vicinity of thirty bucks... :lol:

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:01 pm

rkelsen wrote:

Its in better condition than the stuff American Pickers buy... but I was thinking more in the vicinity of thirty bucks... :lol:

Ouch!!!! Bend over whilst the seller does you know what to you.

I gotta agree, while it's probably a bit rare, this sort of stuff has a very small resale potential, so you'd blow an awfully large bucket of foldies to bring it back to a condition that you'd be happy with, I wouldn't be much more than $30-50 for it.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 pm

For some reason I keep having Castle flashbacks & waiting for someone to say "tell him he's dreaming" :D

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:56 pm

"Tell him he's dreamin' ". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:25 pm

How much is a jousting stick worth dad?

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Probably quite a good
deal for what it is

Dan

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Fwiw, I indicated incorrectly on a roundabout the other day in Germany (and in Austria too, actually) and no one complained, although I suspect they were all too busy complaining about the snow. I generalise, of course.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:02 am

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-1955 ... 27cd6c7109

Perhaps a Malvern Star expert can shed some light on this one for me. The head tube has 5-stars but the rest of the bike looks fairly low-end. :?:
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 am

Hamster wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-1955 ... 27cd6c7109

Perhaps a Malvern Star expert can shed some light on this one for me. The head tube has 5-stars but the rest of the bike looks fairly low-end. :?:
Seems legit, though the price of rust is really inflating

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:59 am

5 Star in UK Restored Frame
The Sydney manufacture story has been dismissed, number is non complient, but if it were smaller I would be bidding :mrgreen:
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-ANTI ... 2c6bd1c9c0

The price of rust seems to be declining but still awful expensive. Oooops my mistake, the seller mentioned the magic word "FIXIE" so actually it's dirt cheap.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Just think hopw high it woulda been if he threw "cyclocross" in there too...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Saro28

Postby Saro28 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

grantw wrote:
Hamster wrote:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-1955 ... 27cd6c7109

Seems legit, though the price of rust is really inflating

Is the year inflating also :?
Antique - 1955 - MALVERN STAR - 5 Star "Oppy" - bike bicycle cruiser

or deflating?
Antique - 1945 - MALVERN STAR - 5 Star "Oppy" - bike bicycle cruiser :?

Tyre half full :twisted:
Fight till the end n never give up. Cadel Evans 2012