Used bike - purchase advice?

bakabill

Used bike - purchase advice?

Postby bakabill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a bike to commute to work on - I found the ad below:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wiley-pa ... 1012851198#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm a newcomer to retro bikes and I was wondering if the bike in that link is worth the price?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

BoardRider

Re: Used bike - purchase advice?

Postby BoardRider » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

I am no expert either ,I think its good value. Brake cable position looks strange easily remedy .Are you able to verify the bikes model and manufacture date ?
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Non-aero brake calipers, set up euro style (R/H rear brake, L/H front brake), it's a matter of preference, I've always preferred a non-euro set up, but that's a personal thing, if you wanted to change it around it's just a matter of removing the bar tape, swapping the levers around (you should even be able to do it without disconnecting the brake cables), then fitting some bar tape.

The cluster looks a little rusty, so I'd go around it first with penetrative spray, then give it a good dose of chain lube, lube all the pivot points (brake pivots, inside the levers), lube the cables (chain lube will do) & operate them to work it in, grease the wheel bearings, cranks & steering head (if you're not sure how, either enlist a friend who does or flip it into your local LBS for a service), consider fitting new tyres (you don't know how old or what condition they're in).

The price is close, I'd sound the guy out to see if he'll negotiate, $100 would be fairly good buying (it is around 70's being a 5 speed), I've got a later model (early 80's) Malvern Star Kenetic, it's my daily commute bike, those Malvern Star touring bikes are beaut to ride, if I was looking, I'd be pretty happy at around that price.

But be realistic, go look at it, photos can be very flattering, if it looks like a piece of junk walk away & look for something else.

Happy retro riding.

bakabill

Postby bakabill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

That's reassuring - I am about to go look at it in another hour.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys!

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Post some photos if ya buy it.

Good luck, but being realistic with yourself, if it's a bucket of puss don't be afraid to walk away.

I'm sure someone on here is in Sydney who could hook you up with a fairly good thing.