Replacement crankset for Shimano FC-TX71

Kaldek

Replacement crankset for Shimano FC-TX71

Postby Kaldek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks to getting a cheap 2007 Avanti Blade (basic model) for $40, I've rediscovered cycling.

Anyway, the bike needs a new crankset and rear cassette. I'm all sorted for the cassette and new chain but the crankset is a Tourney FC-TX71 from Shimano. I'd like to replace it with something similar but nobody seems to sell the TX71 anymore.

I already replaced the bottom bracket (very loose and floppy UN26 with a new UN55), so I'd like to stick with square tapers. Can anyone recommend a newer part from Shimano that would be a good replacement? I'm getting good at identifying part numbers quickly, but I've just been overwhelmed with the crankset market and am boggled. I don't want to spend heaps because for now the bike is just helping me get fit again.

EDIT: I see the Alivio M410 could work, but am I going to need a different bottom bracket? Currently I'm running 68x122mm but I've seen other people say the M410 needs 68x113 to keep the chainline the same. Unless my front derailleur has enough adjustment in it I guess?

Kaldek

Re: Replacement crankset for Shimano FC-TX71

Postby Kaldek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 pm

Looks like I'm answering my own questions. The Shimano FC-M171 matches in both teeth count and chainline.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 am

Helping yourself is the best way to begin a cycling journey...it's about independence after all. :D
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Kaldek

Postby Kaldek » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Righto, M171 crankset has been ordered, along with a CS-HG51 cassette and CN-HG50 chain.

Should be smooth as butter once these lads are installed. Only problem is the crankset is 175mm and I'm currently on 170mm. I'm 178cm tall and I have zero idea of whether it will affect me, but mind you I haven't even adjusted my seating position yet so it's not like I'm working from a "baseline" or anything.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm

The new crank length could actually be better for you...although you're unlikely to notice either way. Just making it go should make you happy...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle