Lower Back Pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
twizzle

Re: Lower Back Pain

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 am

winstonw wrote:
twizzle wrote:Re - reduce calorie intake... don't. Read "The smarter science of slim" first.
....then reduce Calorie intake :roll:
Yes, that will be so effective.

Back on the "foe" list for you, so I don't have to read your posts.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am

twizzle wrote:
fionahills wrote:any hints welcomed - alternatively really good excuses also welcome :D :D
Something to think about : A calorie of protein ends up with about 50% - 55% being available as fuel or fat storage, for a calorie of starch it's around 70%. So what value is there in calorie counting unless you do it by type?
Carp, pasta limit :(

Thanks for the tip Twiz

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Twizzle -comment re carb versus protein efficiency makes sense - more fruit = more carbs so a less effective/available food more for stored fat- back to meat and veg/salad I think - that was working

already reduced the pasta and bread :( - maybe one bread roll and 4 slices of bread - A Week and pasta only once a fortnight - special treat.... :)

am trying the fasting today - apparently one egg Ok -(not really a fast is it? just a VLCD) and a few nuts - drinking copious amounts of water and freshly squeezed lemon juice - had the nuts for brekkie and saving the egg for an early dinner....

life can be grim but the alternative is worse......

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Low calorie intake = lower basal metabolism, muscle loss, fat sparing. According to the research anyway. Eat less, exercise more has been proven to be counterproductive to long term weight loss. Seems you have more chance of quitting smoking than reducing weight by dieting.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ILMB

Postby ILMB » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:51 pm

twizzle wrote:Low calorie intake = lower basal metabolism, muscle loss, fat sparing. According to the research anyway. Eat less, exercise more has been proven to be counterproductive to long term weight loss. Seems you have more chance of quitting smoking than reducing weight by dieting.

Sent from my iThingy...
+1

As someone who used to diet obsessively during my twenties, (almost to the point of anorexia), and has read extensively, I agree. Yo-yo weight loss/gain is extremely demoralising; and it will happen. Far better to eat a healthy, balanced diet, and to not drop the calories too dramatically. Science is starting to concur that fit and fat may actually be healthier than unfit and skinny.

So stay on the bike, keep the activity up, and let your body find it's own weight equilibrium.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 am

ILMB wrote:
twizzle wrote:Low calorie intake = lower basal metabolism, muscle loss, fat sparing. According to the research anyway. Eat less, exercise more has been proven to be counterproductive to long term weight loss. Seems you have more chance of quitting smoking than reducing weight by dieting.

Sent from my iThingy...
+1

As someone who used to diet obsessively during my twenties, (almost to the point of anorexia), and has read extensively, I agree. Yo-yo weight loss/gain is extremely demoralising; and it will happen. Far better to eat a healthy, balanced diet, and to not drop the calories too dramatically. Science is starting to concur that fit and fat may actually be healthier than unfit and skinny.

So stay on the bike, keep the activity up, and let your body find it's own weight equilibrium.
+2

Correct amounts of the correct foods = weight loss/stabilisation. (personal experience)

Dieting/fasting/restricting = weight gain.............................(observing others)
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:05 am

twizzle wrote:
winstonw wrote:
twizzle wrote:Re - reduce calorie intake... don't. Read "The smarter science of slim" first.
....then reduce Calorie intake :roll:
Yes, that will be so effective.
It's what the 5 AIS sports dietitians I consult with regularly recommend. And I'll bet my last dollar they know more about diet for weight loss and athletic performance than you've gained from google Twizz.

1. Unless you create a Calorie deficit, you don't lose weight.
2. Find me a sports dietitian or sports physiologist who recommends the Calorie deficit be created solely by increased energy expenditure.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:20 pm

Some five or so years ago I reached my goal weight with Weight Watchers.

They would agree that eating less is not the answer. Things like "you should not feel hungry" and "make sure you eat your entire allowance" are repeated. To put their system down into a single sentance it would be "Eat more food, but make sure it is healthy, low GI and low energy dense". They want you to increase your metabolism buy eating a greater volume of food over 5 or 6 meals a day but at a respectable (not low, or high) calory count. Worked for me.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Puffy wrote:Some five or so years ago I reached my goal weight with Weight Watchers.

They would agree that eating less is not the answer. Things like "you should not feel hungry" and "make sure you eat your entire allowance" are repeated. To put their system down into a single sentance it would be "Eat more food, but make sure it is healthy, low GI and low energy dense". They want you to increase your metabolism buy eating a greater volume of food over 5 or 6 meals a day but at a respectable (not low, or high) calory count. Worked for me.
Puffy if you think a lower Calorie intake and "eating less" are the same thing, I question what you actually learned on your WW journey.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:30 pm

What's going on here now Fiona?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:31 pm

What's going on here now Fiona?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km