Star Rims

adrianzulu

Star Rims

Postby adrianzulu » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:01 pm

Looking for some feedback on Stars Swift Arriv Wheelset DT Swiss Spokes, Quando Hubs. Not familiar with them, anyone have anything to say please?

mitzikatzi

Re: Star Rims

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Link.

Really cheap on Flea bay? Enough said :shock:

Light. strong, cheap. Pick any two.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:04 pm

Good spokes but otherwise they're junk. Only good for flower decoration. I know a couple of shed walls that are wearing a pair of them in all their weighty and wobbly glory
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:48 pm

My Stars rims are amazingly good energy storage devices.

It takes a bit of work to spin them up to speed, but once those big fellas are moving, they just keep rolling and rolling. Even in spite of the godawful Quando hubs.

I recommend them for climbing wheels... for climbing relatively short hills with a long run-up. Get them up to speed before you hit the slope, then stop pedaling and coast all the way to the top.

They're nice and stable, too, because of all that gyroscopic effect.

(The hidden message behind my dripping sarcasm - my Stars rims are unbelievably heavy. They'd be unremarkable at half the weight).

tim

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:53 pm

barefoot wrote:I recommend them for climbing wheels... for climbing relatively short hills with a long run-up.
:D

They'd go well as falling wheels too. As in "thrown from a great height...", preferably into a dumpster for scrap dirty alloy.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:56 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:
barefoot wrote:I recommend them for climbing wheels... for climbing relatively short hills with a long run-up.
:D

They'd go well as falling wheels too. As in "thrown from a great height...", preferably into a dumpster for scrap dirty alloy.
Given how cheap they are, they'd make a good investment. The price of scrap alloy is sure to go up eventually :mrgreen:

tim
who bought those wheels very cheap, for a not-very-serious fixie project [1], and got no more or less than he expected out of them

[1] I'm such a hipster that even my fixie projects are ironic

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 pm

They are a terrible copy of a terrible wheel: the gipiemme parade. I had a set of the MTB wheels which were OK after I broke half the spokes and replaced them.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 am

All true.

Two of my riding partners had sets that used to annoy the hell out of them with spokes going twang, random rim wobbling and finally treacle hubs. They used to annoy the hell out of me with their complaints.

One bloke with a disc setup turned about and bought a pair of Fulcrums for $130 while the other with V brakes just kept bitching. I ended up sourcing him a V brake wheelset with Deore hubs and Mavic rims from Germany for $120.

So why the sod you'd waste a hundred on the Star rims has got me beat...

...and then another riding partner has just gone and bought a pair because they said Shimano in the title. :evil: but he now knows where there's some spares... :roll:

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

And now for something completely different...

I've had 5 sets of Stars wheels (Catamount and Panther road, the ubiquitous Cheap Vs and Swift Arriv MTB) and had no issues with any of them. As mentioned above, they are ENORMOUSLY heavy, if nothing else you have to respect the effort involved in getting aluminium to weigh that much :lol: .

But i haven't had any problems at all, one set of Cheap Vs is on my favourite bike and has done more than 1,000k without a problem yet. Not bad for $50 new!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia