sumgy

Re: Bike Gallery

Postby sumgy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 pm

antipodean wrote:The Moots is probably worth more than the Kia :shock:
Kia's must be a hell of a lot cheaper where you live then. :shock:

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 am

Am I insane to kinda want to ride in bad weather? If just for the novelty and because I built a waterproof bike specifically so that I could?

I have the option of riding or driving ~10km today and it's almost certainly going to rain on me but I think I'll ride anyway.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:15 am

"Like"

Nice unit Andrew, want to share the details of the buy and a bit of a review please?

Shaun

EDIT: What seatpost is that? I could do with a touch more setback on my commuter.

S
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:10 pm

Shaun,

It's a Boardman CX Pro I got from Wiggle with some additions, the seatpost is the stock 'Boardman' brand one that came with the bike, don't know much else about it.

- Alloy frame, carbon fork with rack and mudguard eyelets
- SRAM Force group
- Avid BB7 road cable actuated brakes with cross top levers

Stock the bike weighed about 9.8 kg without any of my additions. Since I bought it I've:

- Swapped wheels for '29er' carbon clinchers from Farsports. 28 hole front and back rims, Novatech disc hubs with sapim CX-Ray spokes, about 1500 grams for the set and still rolling flawlessly.
- Added 28c Conti GP-4 seasons tyres, good for rolling resistance but I almost wish I had more grip when braking (easy to lock a wheel)
- Generic alloy rack from Wiggle
- Altura dryline 32L panniers
- SKS chromoplastic P45 mudguards
- Leynze power drive headlight, some standard red rear light on the rack
- Changed cassette to Shimano 105 11-28
- Changed big chainring on the front (it was a 50/34 compact now it's 46/34)

I've had it for maybe a year now but seeing as it's only one of a few bikes of mine I think it's only done around 2000 km. It's been great so far, the Force groupset has required adjustment maybe once I think? It's so low maintenance I kinda just forget it's even there and the action is crisp and pleasant every gear change, I really rate it. The BB7 discs have been good too, finger force per unit breaking power is way down from rim brakes so it feels easier to stop faster which is actually a little dangerous because it lulls me into a false sense of security and when I do need to brake hard to avoid danger I'm going too fast and lock the wheels... They do squeal mightily in the wet though which is pretty annoying. They also seem happier when braking at high speed, at low speed they're a little noisy but when braking from 30+ kph they make a nice soft whirring noise. The panniers have done their job, they're definitely waterproof but I've never really used anything else to compare them to, likewise the rack and mud guards.

On the whole the bike is the perfect workhorse, it feels a bit soft and sluggish to ride compared to my carbon road bike but that's to be expected for something with fat tyres, stable geometry and that weighs 5kg more. With the good groupset, disc breaks and mud guards I hardly need to clean it and the components seem to operate better and more reliably than on the road bike with much less maintenance. The carbon wheels are the one thing on the bike that I lent a bit towards performance but they've so far not needed a single touch from me, I am a lightweight rider though so I never really have problems with any wheels.

coyote

Postby coyote » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:13 pm

:lol: Yes, I would take the Moots over the Kia. 8)

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:17 pm

coyote wrote:
:lol: Yes, I would take the Moots over the Kia. 8)
That is like saying I would take the Moots over a peanut butter sandwich. :lol:

Metor

Postby Metor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Back to basic! 8)

Will drop the handle bar and need a longer stem and then try to keep up with the plastic bikes in the crits :lol:

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm

zancs wrote:Image

My first post and of my new ride fresh from the shop.
2012 Specialized SL4 Tarmac Pro frame
Specialized Shallow Bend Aluminium bars with fi'zi:k 3mm thick tape
2012 SRam Red Black group
Fulcrum Race Zero Special Edition with Vittoria Open Corsa CX tyres
fi'zi:k Arione Titanium rails
Shimano Ultegra Carbon pedals.

Weighed in at the shop at 6.82kg's without the pedals (pedals 254gms).
Yum yum! :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Andrew :D

I've been running a disc commuter (Lola, 2009 Kona DewDrop with extras) since new and I heartily agree with your opinion on BB7Rs. I do love the look of the Boardmans tho', the designer has a great eye. Strange that every time I look at them on Wiggle it tells me they're discontinued.

Mind if I ask a price on the cf wheelset?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:17 am

Shaun,

$655 USD including shipping to Australia.

visrealm

Postby visrealm » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Am I insane to kinda want to ride in bad weather? If just for the novelty and because I built a waterproof bike specifically so that I could?

I have the option of riding or driving ~10km today and it's almost certainly going to rain on me but I think I'll ride anyway.

I'm really considering something like this as a commuter. Discs and guard mounts, and relatively cheap too... Just need to convince the wife I need bike #3 8)
'14 Avanti Corsa SL Team (Roadie)
'13 Specialized Secteur Disc (Commuter)
'04 Giant Yukon (MTB)
'12 Avanti Cadent 1 - R.I.P.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm

visrealm wrote:
AndrewBurns wrote:Am I insane to kinda want to ride in bad weather? If just for the novelty and because I built a waterproof bike specifically so that I could?

I'm really considering something like this as a commuter. Discs and guard mounts, and relatively cheap too... Just need to convince the wife I need bike #3 8)

This is cool, heavy ?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Mods I want to report this post for endangering my bank account, marriage & indeed the financial future of my son.

Please won't someone think of the children & save me from going mmmm must have new bike drool.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:41 am

find_bruce wrote:

Mods I want to report this post for endangering my bank account, marriage & indeed the financial future of my son.

Please won't someone think of the children & save me from going mmmm must have new bike drool.
Nope, not when I'm in the same boat. The CX Team at Wiggle at the moment has me wondering if it'd be a more enjoyable roadie than me 'Dale Six, keep Lola for commute duty...
London Boy 29/12/2011

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 am

I must admit I've been enjoying my CAADX Ultegra Disc. It's a fun roadie, not a serious one at all. Yet to fit panniers, but in the planning stages for these. In fact, the other day I rode home from work and I was weaving up and down the kerb and riding on the kerb deliberately. I felt like I was 10 again :)

I'd never Remove a roadie from my stable, but I'm so glad I swapped out the mtb as I'm much more comfortable on this geometry.

Sorry for not being helpful, but I think everyone needs a CX bike :twisted:

boss

Postby boss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 am

Added my DA C24's last week. Really nice wheels. This pic doesn't do them justice (a little too far out) but ahhh well.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am

boss wrote:Added my DA C24's last week. Really nice wheels. This pic doesn't do them justice (a little too far out) but ahhh well.

Are they the same wheels as these http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/shi ... elset.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How did you find them? Could you notice and difference?
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

boss

Postby boss » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:11 pm

rpmspinman wrote:
boss wrote:Added my DA C24's last week. Really nice wheels. This pic doesn't do them justice (a little too far out) but ahhh well.

Are they the same wheels as these http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/shi ... elset.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How did you find them? Could you notice and difference?
Those rims are the RS80's - Ultegra Version. The ones I have are the Dura Ace 7900 version. The two wheelsets are very similar.

Few points to note:

- The difference lies in the hubs (and overall wheelset weight). Both the RS80 and DA c24 wheels have the same rim - carbon / aluminum bonded. The rim is said to be very light (I don't know exact weight).

- Weight wise the RS80's are 1521g, the DA 7900's are 1470g.

- The DA 7900 rims now seem to be unobtainium (at least at a good price), but I paid $720. If you want a Dura Ace wheel you'll have to go to the 9000 series c24, which varies in price from $750-$1000 depending on specials and coupon codes etc. I saw a set of 9000's recently for $850 from an Aussie online store (can't remember which one) which I thought to be a pretty good price.

- I went with the 7900 version (rather than 9000) because I've been told the hub spacing on the 7900 series is stronger. 9000 is 11spd compatible and therefore the hub has to be a lil bit narrower. I don't think the 9000 would be a bad wheel at all though.

- Both the RS80 and DA 7900 wheels come highly recommended. I believe there was a review on the BNA blog or on CTips that said the RS80 c24's were the best wheelset under $1k. Both wheelsets are said to be great for doing it all - commuting, training and racing.

Now having said all of that.

I've ridden these wheels for around 180km now, so not very long. They are like chalk and cheese compared with the old and tired Aksiums I previously had.

I hit a pretty good PR this morning on a solid 8km climb... took 45 seconds off. But most of that improvement would be due to having fresh(er) legs, my PR was set when I already had 400km in my legs over the previous five days. Today I've only got 200km over the last five, so far less fatigued although not completely fresh either.

I also think they look really tough and suit my bike. The carbon section of the rim, black spokes and grey hub match my bike to a tee.

sdnelson19

Postby sdnelson19 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:57 pm

my new addition, mid build. still needs a few things like brake cables and a slight trim of the steerer tube..

bosvit

Postby bosvit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Nope, not when I'm in the same boat. The CX Team at Wiggle at the moment has me wondering if it'd be a more enjoyable roadie than me 'Dale Six, keep Lola for commute duty...
What the?

Blasphemy, Mulger go to the bathroom and wash your fingers (mouth out)!

You have been a very naughty boy, no screens for 24hrs..... :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:38 am

:P I dragged her outta the shed and gave her a good hard commute today, had a blast. :D Well, except for the crappy calliper brakes...
It's been almost 6 weeks since she's had an airing, I've been rolling Fixed quite a bit in me spare time lately.
London Boy 29/12/2011

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:08 am

sdnelson19 wrote:my new addition, mid build. still needs a few things like brake cables and a slight trim of the steerer tube..

Nice.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:11 am

Very nice.
Digging that bottom tube on the De Rosa.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 pm

n+1, n+1, N+1!!! Someone make it stop, I can't afford this!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:53 pm

stinhambo wrote:n+1, n+1, N+1!!! Someone make it stop, I can't afford this!
you live in cairns. you need a dry weather bike, wet weather bike, and a water bike

so at least 3