Mass Velomobile crossing of Australia being planned ...

Rhubarb

Mass Velomobile crossing of Australia being planned ...

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:40 pm

Josef, the guy who organised the 2011 ROAM (Roll Over AMerica) event, has posted on BROL that he is in the early stages of planning another similar event, crossing Australia in about 4 weeks (roughly 200kms per day with a couple of rest days). He's looking at a July / August window, sometime in the next few years.

I don't know if could ever wrangle 4 weeks, but if they were finishing in Brisbane (as I've suggested they do :-) ) I would certainly take a week to ride the last bit with them. Assuming 200kms per day, I might spend 3 days riding out 600kms, have a rest day, then ride the last 3 x 200km days home with them. Depending on how much time I can wrangle, I can see this continually creeping out by a day or two at a time, until I'm eventually meeting them in the middle :-) You guys in Perth could do a similar thing if they start from there, and you don't have 4 weeks spare.

Aushiker - if ever there was an event for you, this is it mate. Just one thing still missing ....

Rhubarb

Re: Mass Velomobile crossing of Australia being planned ...

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:51 pm

Here are the key points from Josef's post:

"Actually, I am in the early stage of planning for an Australian tour as a follow-up to ROAM some time over the next years. Working title being "Across Oz" or something like it, either riding Perth - Sydney or Brisbane, or riding north-south, Darwin to Sydney or Melbourne. So, I was intrigued to see your plan -- absolutely not crazy but inspiring.

Like John I would advise to take the Flevobike roof, very effective against the sun (though a bit warmer for the rider), effective enough in rain if not a major downpour.

I would not go in the middle of summer if there was no need for. Thus, my estimate on water/drinks would be half of yours -- 6-7 liters on 200 km should be ok.
Probably, Across Oz would take place during July/August, i.e. in the Australian winter.

No trailer; it will slow you down, not noticed so much on shorter distances, but the longer the distance, the more annoying it will be. Cut down on the stuff you carry and fit it inside the velomobile.
I have no experience with storage capacity of the Rotovelo, it's probably less than that of the Quest (which has sufficient space).

Nullarbor: From my research of the southern east/west route, there is sufficient infrastructure to refuel and dine except for that stretch.
So, I was playing with the option to make Nullarbor a night ride leg, where riders would leave by midmorning, ride into the day/night/next morning, covering between 350-400 km.
ROAM did not have a night ride, one of its very few shortfalls.

On your own, you could also ask a driver at the last road house to deposit water for you at some designated point.

In general, my planning would be for daily legs of 200 km on average, meaning to ride between 150 to 280 km every day with a few rest days built in. That way, Perth to Brisbane should be doable in about 23 days which would mean a four week stay in Australia.

Go for it!
I am eager to benefit from experiences on the road.

Josef "

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:03 pm

Nighttime cycling
Kangaroos I wouldn't be a fan
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Kangaroos shouldn't be an issue. Batteries for lights, yes. Road trains, yes. Boredom, yes. Sleep deprivation, yes. Is there an OH&S issue, yes.

What do you then do on the rest day? Where would you be, somewhere interesting? There's a whole lot of nothing on the Nullabor, hence the name.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 pm

When crossing the nullabor there is something your nose needs to get used to
Roadkill
when does most of this roadkill happen. Night time. Why Kangaroos are most active then.
Audax fellow in Perth has been hit by a roo coming down a hill. Hence now on an Audax night ride we must ride in pairs.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:19 pm

Roinik wrote:What do you then do on the rest day? Where would you be, somewhere interesting? There's a whole lot of nothing on the Nullabor, hence the name.
I was kind of thinking along similar lines, ie if you've ridden all day and all night, that is coming up to 20 hours and 500km straight you are probably going to be tired and wanting a good sleep. You wouldn't want to try doing that in a tent on the side of the Nullabor during the day, even in Winter.

Josef is no fool though. He organised ROAM very well by all accounts so I have no doubt he has plans for these issues. The kangaroos he may not be so aware of ....

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:46 am

Sounds like a great trip to 'tick off' the list......

Sounds like a damn long way and a lot of pedaling !

Be good to be able to join for a section or week of the trip !

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:28 pm

You've got a little time to think about it. Josef is saying maybe 2015, but not confirmed as he has a lot of investigation to do yet.

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 pm

Isn't the Roo issue just fixed by driving with loud doof-doof music and foglights on all the time ?

That's what our local Victorian country people seem to do :wink:

Whippy aerials must work too, along with the RM Williams logo on the rear window......maybe you just need to fit these items to your velomobile :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:25 pm

Rhubarb wrote: Aushiker - if ever there was an event for you, this is it mate. Just one thing still missing ....
Timing it is looking good for me ... :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Roinik wrote: There's a whole lot of nothing on the Nullabor, hence the name.
OT, but a point of clarification. I have not ridden the Nullarbor but more than a few friends have. The actual Nullarbor Plain (means "no trees" - null:nothing, arbor:trees) is actually only a comparatively short distance along the highway - less than 200kms I believe. Riding the whole stretch from Norseman to Ceduna is often lamented by drivers as a "whole lot of nothing" but when riding a bike the scenery is more immediate and observable. In particular friends of mine have described the ride as full of wildlife and always changing.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:42 pm

Did this event ever get off the drawing board 🤔?

I'm curious to know just how many people have ridden a Velomobile the full distance from Perth to Sydney?

or am I the only nutter that's done it. 🤪😎
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 pm

I don't think it got off the ground.
I seem to recall however that somebody rode a velo across in the opposite direction way back.
I think it may have been a home built of some sort.
A search may find it.
Then there was the Wind Explorer which was basically a tandem velo but electrified.
They carried a wind charger and I recall some video of them using a kite to tow them on the Nullarbor. The site may still be on line. They started here in Albany.