Bicycle specific grease?

RonK

Re: Bicycle specific grease?

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:19 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:" molybdenum disulphide" type grease is not what I would choose for use on a bicycle ie wheel bearings. YMMV

molybdenum disulphide is for metal to metal contact points ie splines and pins etc

Molygrease EP2 for example
I guess the people at Toyota don't know what they are talking about then. Lithium based molybdenum disulphide grease is used for Landcruiser wheel bearings.

Unfortunately I have vivid recollections of being up to the elbows in the stuff while overhauling Landcruiser steering knuckles and servicing wheel bearings.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:31 pm

All I know is at work. If it's metal to metal ie pins then it gets "black mine grease" if it has bearings involved then it gets the "green bearing grease". If high temp bearings then it gets the brown "electricians grease". The grease shed has about 10 choices of grease.

As I said "YMMV"I said "I wouldn't use molybdenum disulphide grease on a bicycle I think there are better choices.

When I am next servicing Toyota Landcruiser wheel bearings I will keep your comment in mind

from the above link I gave
...snip... It can also be used in wheel bearings of passenger cars, light trucks and farm equipment.
...snip...
. still not what i would choose for my bike.

the above link also has
It can be used for all grease lubricated chassis points on passenger cars, trucks, buses, trailers, and farm equipment, including king pins, shackle pins, steering joints, universal joints and fifth wheels (semi-trailer support turntables) on trucks. It is particularly applicable for ball joint suspensions on passenger cars where the presence of molybdenum disulphide may reduce noise and steering effort
Can be used in a variety of industrial application such as low to medium load bearings, steam turbine pedestal slides, screw threads, screw railway couplings, adjustable tension rods and steam valves. It is particularly recommended for applications where movement is slow, restricted or intermittent and where movement is small but of high frequency. In these applications the solid film of molybdenum disulphide will provide protection against wear, fretting corrosion and stick-slip effects. It is also recommended for high temperature conditions, such as conveyor belts in ovens, because even though the grease chars or evaporates, the molybdenum disulphide is left behind to provide lubricatio
doesn't sound like anywhere on a bike to me

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:15 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
Can be used in a variety of industrial application such as low to medium load bearings, steam turbine pedestal slides, screw threads, screw railway couplings, adjustable tension rods and steam valves.
No? Low to medium load bearings don't sound like bicycle bearings? Screw threads don't sound like BB threads or pedal threads? Sounds very bike to me.

Most workshops I've worked in regarded moly grease (nearly all used Castrol LMM), as pretty much a general purpose grease. The exception was for disc brakes on passenger cars, where HTB was used (back when most cars were still rwd).
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 am

i went to 3 supercheaps already and all of them are out of the castrol boating grease. any ideas where to get them?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:14 am

Pretty much Any motor parts, trailer parts, or possibly even boat parts outlet. Think I got mine form a local autobarn.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:
Can be used in a variety of industrial application such as low to medium load bearings, steam turbine pedestal slides, screw threads, screw railway couplings, adjustable tension rods and steam valves. It is particularly recommended for applications where movement is slow, restricted or intermittent and where movement is small but of high frequency. In these applications the solid film of molybdenum disulphide will provide protection against wear, fretting corrosion and stick-slip effects. It is also recommended for high temperature conditions, such as conveyor belts in ovens, because even though the grease chars or evaporates, the molybdenum disulphide is left behind to provide lubricatio
MoS2 grease is highly recommended by the folks at rec.bicycles.tec as the best way to prevent 'indexed steering' due to false brinelling in headsets. As for bearing applications I don't think that any bearings on a bike require a high tech grease. Lets face it <200rpm for cranks, <1000rpm for wheels, no high temperatures that's a pretty easy life for a lubricant. The main problems are caused by poor adjustment or contamination by dirt and/or water, and regular maintenance can virtually eliminate them.

In fact I had track wheels that used no grease. I removed the dust caps so that I could see the bearings and each week I'd use WD-40 to clean and lube them without disassembly. Unladen those wheels would spin for a long time. You can get away with a lot on bikes that never see dirt or water.

Cheers,

Cameron

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:26 am

jacks1071 wrote:

One tub would last the average home mechanic about 10 years.
Jack, could you shed some light on the use of this lube. Rock and Roll describes it as a 'all purpose lube', but doesn't mention anything else like waterproofing.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 am

Also just came across this that's marketed as waterproof. Not sure whether to grab this or the Red Devil grease. r&r looks likes it's high viscosity. Where does that exactly make a difference in its application?

mxmort

Postby mxmort » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:11 pm

Looks like i will be using castrol marine grease for now on
Thanks for the heads up