The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby AndrewBurns » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:26 am

Dog owners really are the worst... Walking, running, riding, they've always caused me problems.
AndrewBurns

by BNA » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

BNA

Postby VRE » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

jules21 wrote:
il padrone wrote:No clear give way signage there. Some might say, in the absence of this it would be "give way to the right" :?:

which i did, anyway. but of course, i highly doubt that was his rationale for sailing through :)

You were going straight forward, he was effectively doing a left turn off the road and across your path, so he should have given way.
VRE

Postby jindydiver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:21 am

malnar wrote:And the video. F word warning at 4:53:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qoHHts8v7Yw[/youtube]

Straight to the cops, ring a lawyer

I love how the guy comes to the realisation he is in a deep hole and goes straight to the F you defence LOL
jindydiver

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:32 am

Great thing is this guy is a typical dog-owner in my experience.

Love wifey - "Yes I know that's right, but some bike riders come past so fast....." What, and that makes it OK to run the dog off the lead ?? :roll: :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Percrime » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:56 am

One of the more reasonable dog owners I have met (er seen)
. How sad is that?
Percrime

Postby WestcoastPete » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:03 am

All cyclists always run red lights ride too fast don't use lights at night ride on the footpath are a menace.

All dog owners don't control their dog allow it to be vicious allow it to wander all over the path don't pick up after it are a menace.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
WestcoastPete

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

Substitute 'lots' for 'all' and that statement would be OK - except very few cyclists really ride too fast, we rarely come anywhere near breaking a speed limit.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:21 am

check out these numpties.. "this is as good a place as any to stop for a chat" some people need a good slap across the side of the head :mrgreen:
jules21

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:23 am

Life's pretty good if that's the worst you have to deal with.
herzog

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:25 am

Would have stopped and had a quiet, pointed chat with them :wink:
il padrone

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am

herzog wrote:Life's pretty good if that's the worst you have to deal with.

sadly, it's not..
il padrone wrote:Would have stopped and had a quiet, pointed chat with them :wink:

they were offered some polite advice by myself and the cyclist on my wheel. i just questioned whether that was sensible of them. i prefer to let people make their own minds up rather than abuse them.
jules21

Postby Percrime » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:44 am

Actually when I think about it thats probably about 10% of the dog owners I see. What it is tho is about 60% of those I see without leads on their dog... and something like 90% of the dog owners I see without leads in the leash on areas. That is, only 10% or so of the people walking their dogs without leads on a lead on area have real control of the dog... and or care about that. Those that do.... well they really do.
Percrime

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 am

jules21 wrote:
il padrone wrote:Would have stopped and had a quiet, pointed chat with them :wink:

they were offered some polite advice by myself and the cyclist on my wheel. i just questioned whether that was sensible of them. i prefer to let people make their own minds up rather than abuse them.

Not suggesting any abuse at all :?

Just think it is better to stop and talk rather than calling out while riding off. Something along the lines of "You know this is a path for people traveling through. There is plenty of chat-space over there ------>>"
il padrone

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 am

il padrone wrote:
jules21 wrote:i prefer to let people make their own minds up rather than abuse them.

Not suggesting any abuse at all :?

sorry, freudian slip :)
jules21

Postby Livetoride » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:18 am

jules21 wrote:check out these numpties.. "this is as good a place as any to stop for a chat" some people need a good slap across the side of the head :mrgreen:

Problem with that then, is they still wouldn't understand.... :(
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:19 am

Livetoride wrote:
jules21 wrote:check out these numpties.. "this is as good a place as any to stop for a chat" some people need a good slap across the side of the head :mrgreen:
Problem with that then, is they still wouldn't understand.... :(

maybe what i meant was, "i feel the need to give them a good slap across the side of the head" :mrgreen:
jules21

Postby Summernight » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:47 am

malnar wrote:This is the dog that bit me. The owner knows it chases cyclists, yet he has it off lead. Possibly a pit bull...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q53 ... 1358200921

That photo is great - rabid dog and everything - it looks positively terrifying. I am amazed by how long and how fast that dog could run. And your video camera of the next day's confrontation is priceless - you even have the dog chasing another bike right on camera (in addition to yours).

I'd love to hear an update after you report it to both the Police and the Dangerous Dogs hotline. Good thing is those people seem to walk their dogs there everyday so hopefully they can be identified when the authorities take it further.

I wonder at people who allow their dogs to do that. I mean, that dog clearly looks like a pit bull or pit bull cross - considering all the news and bad press about them and the new strict rules regarding their existence in Australia, you would have thought that they'd want to make sure to keep attention away from their dog/s, especially if it is unregistered and a pit bull...

Oh, and just checking (I may have missed it in your previous posts) - you took photos of your bite wounds too?
Summernight

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:50 am

those owners are the epitome of selfish dog owners. the way they act as if their dogs' behaviour is safe and normal, despite clear evidence to the contrary, just highlights the arrogance of owners who have convinced themselves that they aren't really responsible for their dogs' behaviour.

she is probably right about some cyclists going too fast, but this justifies their dogs' behaviour... how? :roll:
jules21

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Are dog and owner there regularly? Ride past in hi-vis and steel caps and if doggy gives you any grief, break its jaw with a kick in the head. I've had to do similar when attacked by a dog (albeit not on a bike at the time).
wellington_street

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:10 pm

wellington_street wrote:Are dog and owner there regularly? Ride past in hi-vis and steel caps and if doggy gives you any grief, break its jaw with a kick in the head. I've had to do similar when attacked by a dog (albeit not on a bike at the time).

the dog isn't the guilty party though..
jules21

Postby wellington_street » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

jules21 wrote:
wellington_street wrote:Are dog and owner there regularly? Ride past in hi-vis and steel caps and if doggy gives you any grief, break its jaw with a kick in the head. I've had to do similar when attacked by a dog (albeit not on a bike at the time).

Yes and no.

It can't be held to the same accountability as a human for its actions but at the same time if I'm being attacked by a dog, I'm not letting it bite me because it's 'not the guilty party' - I'm defending myself.

The dog is also put down if it is determined to be dangerous.
wellington_street

Postby malnar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Summernight wrote:
malnar wrote:This is the dog that bit me. The owner knows it chases cyclists, yet he has it off lead. Possibly a pit bull...

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q53 ... 1358200921

That photo is great - rabid dog and everything - it looks positively terrifying. I am amazed by how long and how fast that dog could run. And your video camera of the next day's confrontation is priceless - you even have the dog chasing another bike right on camera (in addition to yours).

I'd love to hear an update after you report it to both the Police and the Dangerous Dogs hotline. Good thing is those people seem to walk their dogs there everyday so hopefully they can be identified when the authorities take it further.

I wonder at people who allow their dogs to do that. I mean, that dog clearly looks like a pit bull or pit bull cross - considering all the news and bad press about them and the new strict rules regarding their existence in Australia, you would have thought that they'd want to make sure to keep attention away from their dog/s, especially if it is unregistered and a pit bull...

Oh, and just checking (I may have missed it in your previous posts) - you took photos of your bite wounds too?

Yep I love the start of that next day's footage. First thing you see is a cyclist....closely followed by those same two dogs. :roll: And as I arrive to talk to the owner I overhear him talking to his wife about yesterday's incident. Classic.

When it took off to follow the child on the tanden my heart was in my mouth, & he is just in complete denial.

Dangerous dogs hotline referred it to the council. I don't think they are doing anything on top of what the council will do (the council may engage them down the track). I've got an appointment with the council soon where I will make a statement & hand over the footage.

I have got a photo of the bite & a medical report.

I have been riding that path morning & afternoon nearly everyday for the past 18 months & those are the only two days I've seen them.

Since the tragic case of the little girl being mauled to death, dangerous dog laws have been passed in Vic which require pit bulls & some other breeds to be registered as dangerous dogs. Such dogs are not allowed off lead in public places full stop. I'm not sure if these are pit bulls but they could be. I can't see any rego tags at all on the footage.
malnar

Postby herzog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:42 pm

malnar wrote:When it took off to follow the child on the tanden my heart was in my mouth, & he is just in complete denial.

I reckon that is the point at which you should probably be taking it to the police as a matter of urgency.

Based on your evidence, (which is incredible) there's a reasonable chance that a child will be mauled by these mongrels. Your testimony and video is a rare opportunity to prevent this before it happens.
herzog

Postby il padrone » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:04 pm

wellington_street wrote:
jules21 wrote:

Yes and no.

It can't be held to the same accountability as a human for its actions but at the same time if I'm being attacked by a dog, I'm not letting it bite me because it's 'not the guilty party' - I'm defending myself.

The dog is also put down if it is determined to be dangerous.

Put down the dog. Kick the owner in the head and break his jaw .
il padrone

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:23 pm

il padrone wrote:Put down the dog. Kick the owner in the head and break his jaw .

if only we were allowed...
jasonc

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion