TDU - stay away next year?

rustychisel

TDU - stay away next year?

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 pm

Sorry to report there's a significant and noticeable element amongst cyclists attending the Tour Downunder, and unfortunately it's primarily our interstate guests, to judge from club colours and strip.

Please, when you're here in Adelaide enjoy the hospitality, the great cycling, the fantastic weather, and the race itself. There really is nothing quite so good and you're all welcome and welcomed.

But do remember that you are guests; that rude and offensive attitude and riding, that treating all Adelaide's roads as your parcours, that living out your 'I coulda been a pro rider' fantasies, that abusing other riders, riding dangerously in your own private peloton, etc, will win you no friends.

you cannot be sirrus

Re: TDU - stay away next year?

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Interesting Rusty.I was working on Cross Rd this morning and wondered why so few of our interstate visitors noticed the bike lane that runs for most of the length of this road. Those <language> off motorists will be sharing the roads with us local cyclists for the next 51 weeks.
To counter that I rode with a few Sydney CC riders on Sunday's RLC and they were awesome, it's a small minority.

Mod Says: The word censor is not there to encourage member to bypass it rather because this is a family forum and we are keeping it clean, so a different choice of words is necessary.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Which clubs did you see behaving badly?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

biker jk wrote:Which clubs did you see behaving badly?
is this the forum to name/shame? or should the club be notified?

(am all for naming/shaming, just don't want to harm innocent parties, sometimes)

liamb

Postby liamb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Well put Alex. I have been suffering this all week on Military Road all week. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they cant keep it in their pants with all the excitement of seeing the pros and their hero's ride on closed roads. Or when I get angry with the poor form I assume they don't give a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! because they get to go home on Sunday Night.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm

jasonc wrote:is this the forum to name/shame? or should the club be notified?
(am all for naming/shaming, just don't want to harm innocent parties, sometimes)
Fair question. Lets not name though by all means if you spot this yourself and identify the club/team and want to report - it is a good suggestion to inform the club and I guess raising it here also raises the awareness of this.
Cycling is in my BNA

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Hahaha - it is ALWAYS the SAME - whether on bikes, in cars, or on jet-skis, the muppets always muck it up for everybody else. Classic clownism...
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

boss

Postby boss » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

This is my first TDU riding a road bike. Hated every minute of it.

The interstate dudes and January fun run riders do a great job of ruining the experience on any known climbs. It varies from frustrating to downright dangerous behaviour.

Seeing riders come up the old freeway singletrack three abreast in the steep/fast 'two way' sections is a perfect example of the ignorance/arrogance I've seen displayed over the last fortnight.

But I feel that it's probably a cost of doing business. One of those things. It is what it is.

Next week the interstate idiots will be gone, and the January crew will be folding up their Lycra and hanging their Pinarello Dogmas on the wall for the next 11 months.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:36 am

boss wrote:This is my first TDU riding a road bike. Hated every minute of it.

maybe you're making too much of it, I merely wished to note the behavior, and realise it's not up to me to police it. Hence no names, no pack drill.

I agree as a sport becomes massively popular it become the price of playing, and I try to do the right thing when I'm riding, and promote the positives of recreactional cycling. That's all, so I kind of resent bad behavior which might be used as an example for backlash or to blacken the name of all cyclists. As noted by someone else, I ride these roads 365 DY - they don't.

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 am

rustychisel wrote:
boss wrote:This is my first TDU riding a road bike. Hated every minute of it.

maybe you're making too much of it, I merely wished to note the behavior, and realise it's not up to me to police it. Hence no names, no pack drill.

I agree as a sport becomes massively popular it become the price of playing, and I try to do the right thing when I'm riding, and promote the positives of recreactional cycling. That's all, so I kind of resent bad behavior which might be used as an example for backlash or to blacken the name of all cyclists. As noted by someone else, I ride these roads 365 DY - they don't.
Making too much of what?

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 am

boss wrote:
Making too much of what?

Yes, sorry, a little unclear.

I was merely suggesting not making too much of it. You're out cycling, so you can't 'hate' it. Don't let the behavior of others completely spoil your fun. Cheers.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:46 am

boss wrote: Seeing riders come up the old freeway singletrack three abreast in the steep/fast 'two way' sections is a perfect example of the ignorance/arrogance I've seen displayed over the last fortnight.
This behaviour is not infrequent any Sunday on Melbourne's Eastlink bike path.

Mike
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:32 am

rustychisel wrote:
boss wrote:
Making too much of what?

I was merely suggesting not making too much of it. You're out cycling, so you can't 'hate' it. Don't let the behavior of others completely spoil your fun. Cheers.
To me, riding a bike is riding a bike. On a bad day it's better than not riding a bike.

I haven't hated my time on the bike, but I have hated TDU week. And I say that with full disclosure that I enjoy the event itself.

But it's the idiots who try to turn descents into a competition after you pass them. As mentioned, the three titty riders. The way that motorists assume that any bike rider out at this time of year is a January rider - aggression up, empathy down. That stuff sucks and I'd sooner see it gone.

It'll be nice when it all settles back down to normal - I don't mind sharing the roads with the dedicated souls that are out on the bike all year round!
Mike Ayling wrote:
boss wrote: Seeing riders come up the old freeway singletrack three abreast in the steep/fast 'two way' sections is a perfect example of the ignorance/arrogance I've seen displayed over the last fortnight.

Mike
Every now and then I catch riders going two abreast, which is not really cricket, but it's not silly dangerous. Three is new to me, and I've seen it several times over the last two weeks.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 am

boss wrote:
rustychisel wrote:
boss wrote:
Making too much of what?

To me, riding a bike is riding a bike. On a bad day it's better than not riding a bike.

I haven't hated my time on the bike, but I have hated TDU week. And I say that with full disclosure that I enjoy the event itself.

But it's the idiots who try to turn descents into a competition after you pass them. As mentioned, the three titty riders. The way that motorists assume that any bike rider out at this time of year is a January rider - aggression up, empathy down. That stuff sucks and I'd sooner see it gone.

It'll be nice when it all settles back down to normal - I don't mind sharing the roads with the dedicated souls that are out on the bike all year round!
Mike Ayling wrote:

Mike
Every now and then I catch riders going two abreast, which is not really cricket, but it's not silly dangerous. Three is new to me, and I've seen it several times over the last two weeks.
Wow your week has been so different to mine.

As a visitor I have found all the different groups fun to have a ride with. Sure some of the climbs and descents have gotten a little competitive but that's the nature of people who race bikes. Which I think may be the heart other your problems.

The majority of riders who travel from interstate as a group will be members of a racing club.

As for Adelaide drivers I have been nothing but impressed with the change that has occurred in terms of behavior.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:22 am

On a popular climb here in Sydney I have seen riders from certain clubs climbing three abreast. This is extremely dangerous since cars are forced to cross to the other side of the narrow road to pass which makes life interesting for those descending, especially around blind bends. The unfortunate reality is that there are many cyclists who don't ride courteously or safely, just like motorists. What is disappointing is that those in clubs aren't taught to do so.

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 am

jcjordan wrote:
As a visitor I have found all the different groups fun to have a ride with. Sure some of the climbs and descents have gotten a little competitive but that's the nature of people who race bikes. Which I think may be the heart other your problems.

The majority of riders who travel from interstate as a group will be members of a racing club.

As for Adelaide drivers I have been nothing but impressed with the change that has occurred in terms of behavior.
I'm not at all surprised that your week has been different to mine ;)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:06 am

boss wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Disclosure : jcjordan is actually an Adelaide boy who left in search of drinkable water.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:47 am

twizzle wrote:
boss wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

Disclosure : jcjordan is actually an Adelaide boy who left in search of drinkable water.
Do you guys have puratap in the eastern states? Hahhaa

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am

twizzle wrote: Disclosure : jcjordan is actually an Adelaide boy who left in search of drinkable water.
But you don't need to add an electroltye replacement when you drink Adelaide water. :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:12 pm

boss wrote:Do you guys have puratap in the eastern states? Hahhaa
Water was pretty good around here... until the 2003 fires.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:52 pm

twizzle wrote:
boss wrote:
jcjordan wrote:

I have never had a problem with Adelaide water. Quite like the taste.

Pity about the twitch
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:00 pm

This sounds like a typical Beach Rd weekend in Melb.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:27 pm

danny the boy wrote:This sounds like a typical Beach Rd weekend in Melb.

Up until April, then the place is abandoned... If there was ever a best time to complete the cafe ride it would be between May and August!

As a future interstater to the TDU, I can't wait to get out onto the same sections that are raced on by the pros!

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:52 pm

pauls51 wrote:
danny the boy wrote:This sounds like a typical Beach Rd weekend in Melb.

Up until April, then the place is abandoned... If there was ever a best time to complete the cafe ride it would be between May and August!

As a future interstater to the TDU, I can't wait to get out onto the same sections that are raced on by the pros!
It is pretty cool watching the pros ride stuff that I ride 2-3 times week :D

norbs

Postby norbs » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm in Adelaide for the TDU from South Coast NSW.

I hope I haven't ruined it for all Adelaide folk.