Shimano vs Campagnolo chain

familyguy

Shimano vs Campagnolo chain

Postby familyguy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 pm

OK...hypothetically...lets just say a friend of mine is running Campagnolo 10-speed derailleurs and shifters with Campagnolo Exa-Drive front rings on a Shimano 9-speed wheel.

With a ShiftMate in place, hypothetically, should my friend run a Campagnolo or Shimano 9-speed chain?

Hypothetically. For a friend.

Jim

LuckyPierre

Re: Shimano vs Campagnolo chain

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:17 am

familyguy wrote:OK...hypothetically...lets just say a friend of mine is running Campagnolo 10-speed derailleurs and shifters with Campagnolo Exa-Drive front rings on a Shimano 9-speed wheel.

With a ShiftMate in place, hypothetically, should my friend run a Campagnolo or Shimano 9-speed chain?

Hypothetically. For a friend.
OK ... hypothetically, your friend should be fine - other than the mis-match between his 10-speed shifters and the 9-speed cassette on his Shimano whell.
No so hypothetically, I run 9-speed DuraAce chains (the CN7701) on my bike (everything else is 9-speed Record). I don't have any problems at all. One of the guys I ride with said it would work and it certainly seems to - and DuraAce chains are significantly less expensive than Record ones.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks