WA Mountain Bike Orienteering dates

twowheels

WA Mountain Bike Orienteering dates

Postby twowheels » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has the WA MTBO dates/places for 2013, they aren't on the web as yet, thx

eldavo

Re: WA Mountain Bike Orienteering dates

Postby eldavo » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Never heard of it, but am interested and just read up the website and now have a clue =P

I found the contact page has:

Mountain Bike Orienteering
Ricky Thackray
em: rickythackray@hotmail.com

One of my new year's resolutions was to do some recreational riding beyond commuting, most likely myself to my own schedule, but something like this I'm interested in that doesn't have issues like downhill (injuries, death), racing (heart attack, death) or Audax (family time, unhappy wife, death).

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:26 pm

eldavo wrote:One of my new year's resolutions was to do some recreational riding beyond commuting, most likely myself to my own schedule, but something like this I'm interested in that doesn't have issues like downhill (injuries, death
get on a MTB around the kalamunda circuit. stick to the blue trails, and you'll be sweet. nothing you can't roll over (or ride around).

much more fun that riding around the streets :wink:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:33 pm

+1 to a bit of cross country. The one piece of Aluminium in my stable doesn't get enough such attention.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Aluminium would probably just break anyway if taken offroad =P

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:04 pm

eldavo wrote:Aluminium would probably just break anyway if taken offroad =P
I'm not a hard rider... just a slightly timid un-co one who likes being out in the bush. I was originally going to build a steely from scratch - but my mates said "Who are you fooling, Kym? It'll take you 3 years.... buy something 'off the peg'!"
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:11 pm

i ride a carbon-framed MTB and have zero concerns about it failing on the trails. it would be one very solid impact for that to happen, in which case the quickest route to the nearest hospital would be my main concern.

argybargy

Postby argybargy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

MTBO is good fun i highly recommend it, however if you do give it a try you'll need to hire a map board (if you don't have one already) and i recommend taking some electrical tape so that you can prewrap your handlebars to avoid any scratches...

if you want to chat to the people who know more about this, ricky is good for general information or head over to http://attackpoint.org, and the 'sandgropers' group thats on there. I don't think the calendar for winter 2013 has been agreed to yet, but if you ask there someone will know!

http://attackpoint.org/group.jsp/group_121

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:03 pm

i did the MTBO a few years ago, notice 2012 had less dates than the year I did it. hope it isn't on the decline due to falling numbers, really good fun. Easy to do with family because you set your own pace according to ability of the group you ride with (can also ride individually).

eldavo, the ride up hill on the southside of highway railway reserve is really good. can't remember where I parked last time, a few years back. ride up, then ride down is easier, especially if you haven't done it before. wait for autumn is my second tip.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks, guy at work who's recently addicted to Camel Farm shared this also:
http://ausoutdoor.com/mountain-biking/mtb-wa/goat-farm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All hills action is a big hike for me, so in the meantime will explore coastal urban/bush reserves and hit the beaches. Sadly was crook over long weekend so didn't do the big Trigg to Freo beach ride I've been wanting to do for a year.

uglybob

Postby uglybob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 pm

eldavo wrote:Thanks, guy at work who's recently addicted to Camel Farm shared this also:
http://ausoutdoor.com/mountain-biking/mtb-wa/goat-farm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All hills action is a big hike for me, so in the meantime will explore coastal urban/bush reserves and hit the beaches. Sadly was crook over long weekend so didn't do the big Trigg to Freo beach ride I've been wanting to do for a year.
camelfarm (kalamunda circuit) is far better than the goat farm, especially if you're riding XC. if you want to try elsewhere than the KC, head to Forsyths Mill or Jarrahdale.

but with the slated works that will be happening out at Kalamunda, there will be approx 46kms of trails around there - sweet! :mrgreen:

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:51 am

I just checked back on the WA orienteering website, the dates are now available, see the link.
http://wa.orienteering.asn.au/events/ev ... -bike-mtbo
Disappointingly there are now only five dates over four weekends and only two of these close to the metro area. MTBO is really great fun (including for families, you do it at your own pace), hope more on the forum can get along to it, would be a pity to see it die off in WA.